10 - Lionel Messi - v5

KingLeo10

turns out barca fans aren't so different from madrid fans after all.

before their decima, RM fans were keen on painting CR7 as a fraud. despite the dude scoring 50 a season.

now after our golden period has passed, some barca fans are keen on painting messi as a fraud.

he's 31 and has given us 10+ seasons of 40-60 goals. he isn't perfect and could improve his conditioning but some of y'all should temper your expectations a little. we're going to be struggling to even win the league without him.

Donatello

He never worked defensively. He didn t declined. Infact, he progressed in the past few years. He also became perhaps, the best FK shooter in the world.

But the team declined. Barca and Argentina. That s the issue, not Messi.

+1.

But, even the squad isn't that bad. The real problem is the manager.

ab739

before their decima, RM fans were keen on painting CR7 as a fraud. despite the dude scoring 50 a season.

now after our golden period has passed, some barca fans are keen on painting messi as a fraud.

he's 31 and has given us 10+ seasons of 40-60 goals. he isn't perfect and could improve his conditioning but some of y'all should temper your expectations a little. we're going to be struggling to even win the league without him.

Who here has called messi a fraud? Messi is still the best player in the world when he wants to be. However, pointing out his obvious decline and laziness on the pitch doesn't translate in to calling him a fraud. It's constructive criticism because we know messi can play better than he has been playing for us and argentina

Judoman

+1.

But, even the squad isn't that bad. The real problem is the manager.

Valverde was put in the midle of a mess last summer. He lost 2nd best player and gained Paulinho and one teenager, who was injured for 1/2 of a season. Yet we won double quite comfortably.
I doubt Lucho would have made same result last season. I m giving Valverde credit for a solid, good season, but i expect progres next one.

The team is far from bad, but it s in rebuilding faze. There are issues, which efect team play and Messi s play.

And we have only our board to blame for not managing team s needs on the fly. They were sleeping on the sucess of Xavi-Iniesta era.

Last edited:

eaman

He never worked defensively. He didn t declined. Infact, he progressed in the past few years. He also became perhaps, the best FK shooter in the world.

But the team declined. Barca and Argentina. That s the issue, not Messi.

Exactly. He shouldn't have to be wasting energy running everywhere. In his younger days he was a winger who stayed out there and when the ball came to him He started running and causing havoc. Now he is a central player and his job is to stay near the middle third and hope his teammates are good enough to get the ball to him. They weren't away at Roma and for most of the world cup

Mitchell1978

It's constructive criticism because we know messi can play better than he has been playing for us and argentina

Barcelona won the domestic double last season, Messi led the league in goals and assists.
Criticising his performance last season is you being a spoilt brat.

Mitchell1978

Difference is still barça continue winning a lot of trophies unlike Madrid in CR7's first few years there.
And his conditioning is fine, he lost some explosiveness and pace but thats normal at 31 but his fitness is as good as it has been, he probably takes better care of himself then he did in his early 20s.
This obsession with his running is dumb because he's been doing what he has been doing for a decade, get over it.
I'm starting to wonder if you people actually watch him play regulary or are just following the mainstream media.

ab739

Barcelona won the domestic double last season, Messi led the league in goals and assists.
Criticising his performance last season is you being a spoilt brat.

Yes we won the league due to a horrible Madrid performance. He shows up in the league, it's the champions league were he is being inconsistent. Played well against Chelsea, nothing noteworthy with Roma especially 3-0 down and messi is still walking on the pitch. I'm a barca fan first and foremost, Messi doesn't get a pass from criticism just because he's the best player

Joan

Yes we won the league due to a horrible Madrid performance.
Is it so? Why didn't Atletico win the league? Sevilla? If it's due to a horrible Madrid performance.

It's due to us, due to the team and Valverde.

Due to being the best team in the league, by far.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Yes we won the league due to a horrible Madrid performance. He shows up in the league, it's the champions league were he is being inconsistent. Played well against Chelsea, nothing noteworthy with Roma especially 3-0 down and messi is still walking on the pitch. I'm a barca fan first and foremost, Messi doesn't get a pass from criticism just because he's the best player

If he'd run in that game it would have changed NOTHING.. other than satisfying some fans that he made more effort running. Watch the game again. They pressed us high and our midfield couldn't get the ball from defence to attack.. just sideways passes and backpasses.. even Ter Stegen kicking it long!!! i've never seen anything like it in a Barca game. Any half decent midfield in that game would have settled the game, kept possession and would have had the ability to get the ball to the forwards but we didn't have that.

sickstar

I understand your point.

What's in my mind is that less than half decent players were also the one who carried us to the double (and even one of them is now the second or third best player in a world cup finalist).

It's like they ALL choosed to underperform in this ONE single game, which couldn't be true.
Imagine if 0-3 didn't happen, would there be ANY negative comment during the entire season of Barca. Well depending on what they could gain in the next rounf, of course, but would there be any more disappointing moment than losing after leading 3 goals?? Highly doubt there would. And we know we can't find any fault within the entire season of league and cup. Fail to be undefeated, nah, it's never really bugging me that bad.

Its just that one mystery game, Roma game, that perhaps even if I tried to create story like "hey MIRROR (that media crap), they were drunk the night before that's why they showed horribly against roma", they would've taken that and publish that as if it was the real truth. EV having a blunder, that's what I see, but no one's perfect. Remember Messi had a hattrick three days before the match, and Roma lost to Fiorentina the same day (check again).

Last edited:

Joan

If he'd run in that game it would have changed NOTHING.. other than satisfying some fans that he made more effort running. Watch the game again. They pressed us high and our midfield couldn't get the ball from defence to attack.. just sideways passes and backpasses.. even Ter Stegen kicking it long!!! i've never seen anything like it in a Barca game. Any half decent midfield in that game would have settled the game, kept possession and would have had the ability to get the ball to the forwards but we didn't have that.

True. Roma match was a disaster but not caused by a single event. Valverde shat the bed, just like the team. Of course it'd be better if he ran more, but we shouldn't forget he played 5368 minutes (4th most in Eruope) and simply has to find ways to stay rested and ready. I don't mind people criticizing Messi - but it's just that it's not fair.

Home of Barca Fans