10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neimax

I'm very sad about Leo not winning the Copa with Argentina this year. Nonetheless, I think it was the right decision for him to announce his retirement from the "alibiceleste". This team can't win any trophy, not because a lack of ability but because of their psych. They got so much pressure (especially Leo) that they couldn't enjoy playing in the finals in my opinion. Especially the 2 copa finals this year seemed to confirm my opinion because they played great matches there, but the finals where always bad. Their cocain man Maradona maybe won them the World Cup in 86, but he was also one of the main reasons why that they didn't win the Trophies in 2014, 2015 and 2016. But of course some Argentinians probably won't get that. I hope that other players (Masche has already done it) also announce their retirement so that Argentina can continue to live in the past and praise that clown (i know Maradona was a great player, but due to his personality and his huge drug abuse he is nothing but a clown to me).
I hope Leo can recover from that setback and I think especially the Barcelonistas have support him now more than ever! Animo Leo!

Mitchell1978

He has tought about quitting many times before i'm shure and all the mess with the AFA also plays a big part but i'm still surprised at this decision.
Then again i don't think this is permanent and he will be back playing for Argentina.

But also i think maybe its ment to be, have the goat club career but never win anything with the senior national team (not counting Olympics though that is a nice price).

Last edited:

BBZ8800

You failed to take into account the difference in the way Messi has to play in Barca vs the NT. Barca players provide Messi outlets to use his incredible passing range, those one two's and most importantly they give him the ball. Conversely on the NT, he is surrounded by full blown ball hogs who fail miserably in understanding the concept of a team game. You give Di Maria or Aguero a ball anywhere near 30 yards from the goal, I'll guarantee it that 9/10 they will put their heads down and try to go for goal. It's no wonder that Argentina looked so good before Gaitan and Fernandez got injured, it was because waste of space Biglia, who may as well have been a spectator, forgets he is a midfielder and basically just stand there aimlessly for the whole match whereas Agusto had great movement positioning and got the ball to Messi. Same is the case with Di Maria/Aguero instead of Gaitan. Gaitan actually looked up to see if there was someone in a better position or if shooting was a better option, when was the last time you saw the abovementioned braindead idiots do that?
Portugal may not be WC on paper but if you actually look at their games, you'll see how much the team works as a whole for their forward players. I'd take a team, a real team with good plays, over a squad full of WC players without any sort of teamplay

I know all of that.
But I am sick of double standards.

Again, please check CR7's topic from the last few days.

Our fans say: Messi is imposing himself. CR7 is not imposing himsfelf.
Messi is dominating matches, CR7 is not.
Then when some users mentioned that CR7 is not dominating as Messi (which is true) and that he needs supply from his teammates to score (because he is not a player who dominates, but a player who scores goals only), and this is why CR7 suffers in Portugal, since his teammates are donkeys.

My point: when CR7 is bad for Portugal, our fans say: CR7 plays crap because he is crap.
But when Messi plays bad for NT team (or doesn't score): then it's teammates fault, lol.
If you get me?
Insane double standards, and it all comes down to: we are good guys (Barca), they are bad guys (Real).
Everything what we do is better than them. All of our players are better than theirs (some mentioned that Messi, Ney, Suarez, Xavi, Iniesta are all better than CR7).
And whenever we fail, we have some excuses (Real was lucky, Messi had poor teammates etc)

Again, if someone doubts my love for Messi, for me:
Messi>Cr7
Barca>RM
Messi>all players in the world, ever
Messi is still a Goat.
Messi will always be a Goat.

But again, it is not black and white.
CR7 is not that bad player as this forum says.
Also, Messi is not perfect either.
I don't care for BallonDOrs and his NT trophies. But at the end of the day, we have to admit that people who will point into that direction DO have a point.

Mitchell1978

I'm hoping he comes back on his decision because i want to see him playing the world cup in 2018 but i think its good he takes a break from the National Team for a while anyhow.

gasgas

I for one refuse to feel sorry for multimillionaires.

You are the best player in the world, you are expected to give a matchwinning performance.
You are expected to be a hero.
You fail, you get lambasted

It's been four consecutive finals IIRC, he has been in all of them, 3 as a captain,
He must be able to communicate with his peers, "yo Aguero, pass the ball, you're losing us the game"

Character? Screw that.
It's been three finals, dont wanna lose a fourth just because you're too shy to give a pep talk.

A leader is supposed to guide his people to where they need to go, and not get sucked In himself and even so not four times in a row

He may have wanted this trophy so bad, but he didnt do enough as a leader and as best player in the world when the stakes were high

Messi983

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] with some good points here.

Not really surprised hearing about Messi, Masche and other players likely retiring from NT after all that happened with their FA. If you have read Messi's comments before final you could read that between the lines. I believe they already made that decisions (probably collectively as their way to protest against AFA) before the final so I don't think that have anything to do with another disappointing loss and that they won't change their minds unless something really dramatically change in AFA but that's hard to believe.

I'm as disappointed as all of you that he didn't win a title with his NT but as @BBZ said Messi retiring from NT will be only good for Barça. More rest, less travelling. As Barça fans we should be all happy about that. The same for Masche. And again, as @BBZ said, not winning anything won't change the way I see Messi - as the best I've ever seen playing.

Mitchell1978

hope somebody shots Rojo .. far more deserving than Escobar .. 70 minutes to go and you can't control your animal instinct you fucking twat .. 70 minutes with extra time .. it would have been a festival of goals once Chile gets tired in th second half

I don't think Rojo should be sent of for that challenge.

raskolnikov

I know all of that.
But I am sick of double standards.

Again, please check CR7's topic from the last few days.

Our fans say: Messi is imposing himself. CR7 is not imposing himsfelf.
Messi is dominating matches, CR7 is not.
Then when some users mentioned that CR7 is not dominating as Messi (which is true) and that he needs supply from his teammates to score (because he is not a player who dominates, but a player who scores goals only), and this is why CR7 suffers in Portugal, since his teammates are donkeys.

My point: when CR7 is bad for Portugal, our fans say: CR7 plays crap because he is crap.
But when Messi plays bad for NT team (or doesn't score): then it's teammates fault, lol.
If you get me?
Insane double standards, and it all comes down to: we are good guys (Barca), they are bad guys (Real).
Everything what we do is better than them. All of our players are better than theirs (some mentioned that Messi, Ney, Suarez, Xavi, Iniesta are all better than CR7).
And whenever we fail, we have some excuses (Real was lucky, Messi had poor teammates etc)

Again, if someone doubts my love for Messi, for me:
Messi>Cr7
Barca>RM
Messi>all players in the world, ever
Messi is still a Goat.
Messi will always be a Goat.

But again, it is not black and white.
CR7 is not that bad player as this forum says.
Also, Messi is not perfect either.
I don't care for BallonDOrs and his NT trophies. But at the end of the day, we have to admit that people who will point into that direction DO have a point.
Whats the point in playing devils advocate the day after the match though and rub salt into the wounds?

Argentina and Messi are just unlucky, losing two shoot outs is just really bad luck.

Mitchell1978

By the way in 5 penalty shootouts in the last 4 tournament Messi has always taken the 1e one and this is the first time he missed, it was bound to happen.
Mostly it was a mistake letting this go to penalties, Argentina should have taken more risks earlier on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans