10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

I would count the Sevilla one as important as it cost us 2 points. I don't think we should try to define what we think is an important penalty, but instead define the penalties that put him under pressure. I reckon he felt the pressure quite a bit with the one against City.

With all of those I mentioned there was high pressure. Messi gets spooked by tall goalies as well as we know.
Messi and penalties is weird though, he is no choker since he scored many high pressure games yet he is no Zlatan/Balo/Cr7 at it. He should be better at them given his talent.
He should be more in the near 90% bracket than near 80% mediocre stat.

Horatio

You're welcome
I guess it depends how you define important. For me as well, the only penalty that cost us was the one vs. Chelsea.

Yes, but Messi has no way of knowing whether a missed penalty will lead to a loss or a lead will be achieved through a standard goal later on.
That's why in this discussion I think we shouldn't judge the importance of a goal based on what the end result of the game was.
We were discussing Messi's penalty performance during high pressure games.

If Messi missed the goal against Chelsea but Barca still managed to win afterwards, would that mean that that the penalty was less important to Messi at the time he was taking it?

EDIT: I see Kerrybai made the same point I am trying to make.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Yes, but Messi has no way of knowing whether a missed penalty will lead to a loss or a lead will be achieved through a standard goal later on.
That's why in this discussion I think we shouldn't judge the importance of a goal based on what the end result of the game was.
We were discussing Messi's penalty performance during high pressure games.

If Messi missed the goal against Chelsea but Barca still managed to win afterwards, would that mean that that the penalty was less important to Messi at the time he was taking it?

EDIT: I see Kerrybai made the same point I am trying to make.

It depends on how it feels to those who watched the game.
Like when he did that weird thing against man.c I just chuckled, didn't care at all. He had played amazingly and I had no doubt he would see this tie through in the return game, just like he did.
When he misses though and your arsehole is clenched, that's an important one and it only happened with chelsea.

Horatio

You're welcome
It depends on how it feels to those who watched the game.
Like when he did that weird thing against man.c I just chuckled, didn't care at all. He had played amazingly and I had no doubt he would see this tie through in the return game, just like he did.
When he misses though and your arsehole is clenched, that's an important one and it only happened with chelsea.

lol, nice description.
But that would mean Messi is bad at converting important penalty goals, because he missed the only important goal. :p

serghei

lol, nice description.
But that would mean Messi is bad at converting important penalty goals, because he missed the only important goal. :p

Nah, he scored several important ones, in high-risk situations. Like the 2 pens. against Real on Bernabeu or several penalties for Argentina. Ronaldo has missed more extremely important penalties than Messi, including in CL final (once vs Chelsea) and semifinal (once vs Bayern and once vs Barcelona). For some reason, I still trust Messi to score from a PK when it matters most. More than I would trust Ronaldo.

It has nothing to do with the end result, but with the fact that we were much superior to City and a missed pen. couldn't have changed that. The way they played was all wrong for a team like Barcelona. Obviously the players felt City's strenght and a form of relaxation could have intervened, knowing that the opponent is inferior.

What Messi thought or felt at the time of the miss we don't know. What we do know is that those missed penalties proved to be unimportant, even if only in hindsight. The only Messi penalty Barca fans regret to this day was the Chelsea one. Most of the others I don't even remember. For example I don't remember the missed penalty against Sevilla, and not even the one against Atletico in the 2nd leg of the Supercup.

Last edited:

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
He looked like he could start, slowed down the game when necessary but whenever he wanted he switched 2-3 gears up and created chances.
Goat gonna goat.

Kragod

Good game for him to get a bit of action against weak opposition.

tumblr_inline_mi0ra4lQGb1qfmasz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans