10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Does anyone else think that Messi was actually better in 2010 World Cup than 2014? People seem to remember his 2010 campaign as being a failure because he didn't score a goal but he was way more involved in everything going forward and was just unlucky with his finishes. If only they had a real coach back then.

I do, i thought he was better in 2010.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Aren't you against hypotheticals? Without Messi, Argentina would presumely have played quite differently. Or maybe not. The truth is Argentina with or without Messi are favourites to top a group that had Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria. So you can't really say that without Messi, Argentina wouldn't have gotten out the group stage. What you can say though is that Messi was the biggest reason Argentina got out of the group stage, no one will deny that. He was even the best player on any team of the group stages.

I'm only against hypotheticals when passed as facts. I only said it's not far-fetched to speculate Messi won them two games because he directly scored two very important goals when they looked out of ideas that won them game. It's still speculative, just not far-fetched.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
I spotted your mistake.
This is no truth, not a fact, just a hypothesis, the fact is that messi got argentina first and helped them reach the final more than anyone else.

ok m8. I suppose it's also a hypothesis that Barcelona are not favourites against Ponferradina or any fifth division club. Hell, there is no point in calling anyone favorites because they're all hypotheticals anyway right?

Does anyone else think that Messi was actually better in 2010 World Cup than 2014? People seem to remember his 2010 campaign as being a failure because he didn't score a goal but he was way more involved in everything going forward and was just unlucky with his finishes. If only they had a real coach back then.

Messi was for sure better in 2010 than 2014. People make it seem like Argentina made Messi play poorly. Sure the defensive structure didn't help, but it's not like Messi was tearing it apart with Barca just 15-20 days previously. He was in shit form (for his standards) from April onwards and it just carried on to the World Cup. This season's Messi would not have needed any of those excuses if he played in the World Cup. He's fitter, more intense and more "in the game" (enchufado as remarked by a Barca player) than last season.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
ok m8. I suppose it's also a hypothesis that Barcelona are not favourites against Ponferradina or any fifth division club. Hell, there is no point in calling anyone favorites because they're all hypotheticals anyway right?

Messi was for sure better in 2010 than 2014. People make it seem like Argentina made Messi play poorly. Sure the defensive structure didn't help, but it's not like Messi was tearing it apart with Barca just 15-20 days previously. He was in shit form (for his standards) from April onwards and it just carried on to the World Cup. This season's Messi would not have needed any of those excuses if he played in the World Cup. He's fitter, more intense and more "in the game" (enchufado as remarked by a Barca player) than last season.

The world cup>>>>your argument.
It's extremely easy for a darkhorse to upset a top team in WC, anything can happen, we have seen it all.
So, iran>argentina on the WC is much much much more probable than barca<ponferradina, pls don't use ridiculous analogies.

StarLord

Messi was very good in both 2010 and 2014. Of course, not as good as he can be, but still. What stood out for me, was how utterly inept the rest of the team were (minus a couple of exceptions such as Mascherano in the last World Cup) especially in midfield and attack which meant that Messi had to more or less do it all of his own.

Another thing with Messi is that we overplay him each and every season (apparently it is his wish) and by the time that Copa America/World Cup begins, he is absolutely knackered. Argentina's doctor commented on that in 2010.

Ekul

My outlook is this... what a player Pele was, what a player Messi is etc.I'd sooner celebrate great players than try and use facts and figures to prove who is the "GOAT".

I'll repeat myself, but he's the best player I've seen and am 52 yrs old.So that will give a clue as to how I rate him ;)

I just don't like to catergorize players is all.

Well you've lived through all of the legends that we've been discussing (Messi, Maradona, Pele) etc. and you've just stated that Messi is the best you've seen. I don't get why you're getting annoyed at people calling him the best ever when you've essentially just done the same.

Asylum15

"Copa America is very important for Argentina, which we haven't achieved for many years, it is a very important tournament for us.

Argentina is a candidate to win the Copa America, but we have to prove it on the pitch, There are very strong rivals and it will not be easy. I feel very happy to be back with the team, it is a great team and we get along very well. "

I think I am in a better form than last World Cup. The whole team is in better form. Last year we had injured players arriving at World Cup injured and some injuries during the tournament. We are better now.

I feel more mature to face this Copa America, with more experience, and I am very happy personally. Whether I am at my best, I feel great, I'm happy when I go to the pitch and work out.

I talked about traveling to the Copa with Tevez at the final. I never had problems with Carlitos I get on very well with him.".

It is a challenge because we haven't won anything, but it is a dream too. We deserve it as a team. The team deserves to win a trophy.

No matter who scores the goals. I, Kun, or Tevez or Angel. What matters is that we make goals and win.

I spoke to Neymar about the Copa America but after the Champions League final, everyone's on their own.

Mascherano and I didn't talk, we spent the entire trip sleeping.

I've learnt to be a dad. Thiago will be 3 years old.

It's much better to be a father than to dribble past an opponent."

R.I.P Neymar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans