10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Kicking that ball would hurt!

I hope he wasn't injured during the making of that video, afterall I didn't see any "No Messi's were harmed during the making of this commercial" message.

Garrus

Messi put on some more muscles this season, He seems heavier and slower than last season, And even more the season before, He's not as agile and fast as he used to be, And this really affected his dribbling success rate, He gets stopped easier than before.

raskolnikov

Messi put on some more muscles this season, He seems heavier and slower than last season, And even more the season before, He's not as agile and fast as he used to be, And this really affected his dribbling success rate, He gets stopped easier than before.

You do take into consideration that he has little to no space nowadays compared to a few years ago?
Put him on the wing 1 vs 1 and he will get by easily.
I do think he was slightly faster when younger but thats normal, when you consider the things he has added to his game its not so bad.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
You do take into consideration that he has little to no space nowadays compared to a few years ago?
Put him on the wing 1 vs 1 and he will get by easily.
I do think he was slightly faster when younger but thats normal, when you consider the things he has added to his game its not so bad.

You're right, he does barely get any space nowadays. However recently he has bulked up his leg muscles quite a bit and is overall a stronger player. He may not look like it, but Messi is a really good physical specimen in modern football as he has most of the qualities that enhance his playing style. Strong and well built legs help him in his balance and his overall endurance/musculature is perfect for enhancing his style of play. He gave up a little agility and speed for more acceleration and balance which is actually more useful to him considering the way he plays now.

exneo

Nope nope nope nope nope

First of all this is the same crap from the start of last season

Guess what?

Muscles DO NOT make you slower

They make you FASTER -- up until a certain point (extreme bodybuilding, which Messi is NOWHERE near)

Look at the fastest men on the planet:

article-2184060-14664C53000005DC-802_634x473.jpg

150115192.jpg

They are all MUCH more muscular than MESSI and MUCH faster

Messi, and 99% of footballers world wide would benefit TREMENDOUSLY from strength training (with the side effect of mass increase). However, because technique is more important, footballers spend most of their day training in their sport and not becoming better athletes.

So quit with this crap that Messi is becoming slower. He is not. He has less space than before since he plays IN THE MIDDLE now and he has to keep the ball closer. We still regularly see him fly past sidebacks near the touchlines when the occasions arise.

Thank you very much and good night.

Paganinisrvnge

Nope nope nope nope nope

Guess what?

They make you FASTER -- up until a certain point (extreme bodybuilding, which Messi is NOWHERE near)

150115192.jpg

Messi, and 99% of footballers world wide would benefit TREMENDOUSLY from strength training (with the side effect of mass increase). However, because technique is more important, footballers spend most of their day training in their sport and not becoming better athletes.

So quit with this crap that Messi is becoming slower. He is not. He has less space than before since he plays IN THE MIDDLE now and he has to keep the ball closer. We still regularly see him fly past sidebacks near the touchlines when the occasions arise.

Literally exactly the same thing I was thinking. No offense but I feel like a lot of Europeans or just people who only watch football have this weird notion of anything over 170lbs being too bulky. I laugh when people say someone like Drogba is HUGE. He's tall but he's not that muscular at all. Even Ronaldo looks like a little boy next to many athletes of other sports.

Obviously weight training to an extensive level is unnecessary as football is more of skill and endurance sport but there is a ridiculous notion that even a slightly above average level of muscle will make someone extremely slow. There are plenty of American Football players who would make Drogba look tiny who are VERY fast and there are plenty of people in the military who are pretty big who can also jog endlessly.

F

Frejsgodes

There are plenty of American Football players who would make Drogba look tiny who are VERY fast
Watching the NFL combine these days almost every prospect would be more athletic compared to football (=soccer) players. Ronaldo has roughly the same size as an average to slightly big cornerback, yet I would bet that most of the DBs coming out of college has a faster 40 yard dash and higher vertcal jump than him.

enzza

Nope nope nope nope nope

Guess what?

150115192.jpg

:beer2:

ShandyFFM

Maradona :

Messi? He hardly touched the ball against AC Milan, but he remains a great player. However, I still see myself as the better player."

"I think I'm the best player ever. Why would you compare me to Pele? My mother said that I'm stronger and that he used to play with players who didn't even move on the pitch," Maradona said at a press conference.

dont know if this is the daily bull but its just fun to read :D

FiReFTW

Nope nope nope nope nope

Guess what?

150115192.jpg

True, speed does not decrease with muscle gain, in most cases it can increase.

Alltho more muscle/weight in general do decrease your agility, aswell as age ( agility starts to fade first, even at a very early teen age ). However its not like its noticable at all, aswell as not that important aswell.

Messi might probably appear to be "slower" because he stops more, walks and jogs around more, aswell as having less space to make runs while when comparing to few years ago he didn't slow up play so much, most of the times when he got the ball he bursted towards the goal because of a different style of play, position and space he had.

misterplatin

Messi's slowness is about agility rather than top speed .Most of the times he has to accelerate with ball at feet and decelerate within 5 yards or has to move in swaying motion. Both these must be affected by muscle gain . Or not ?

FiReFTW

Messi's slowness is about agility rather than top speed .Most of the times he has to accelerate with ball at feet and decelerate within 5 yards or has to move in swaying motion. Both these must be affected by muscle gain . Or not ?

Acceleration/Explosive Power/Speed is all the same, more muscle mass can often mean more power hence better explosive power/acceleration and speed, but it depends because it only goes up to a certain point then the big weight starts to take over the more muscle mass and power, but for that you would need to be huge.. as neo already posted some pics of runners you can clearly see that even at those sizes the size does not overweight the extra power more muscles provide.

Only agility is affected by mass, but its not so noticable because its not like messi gained 10 kilos.

Henry_IB

Banned

Finally someone who realised this. As you say yourself, his strength has always been his agility, balance and how quick he is the first meters (he's not really exceptionally fast over the course of a full run compared to anyone else). These are quite heavily affected by additional mass.

Messi isn't quite as agile as he used to be but let's not blow things out of proportions, he's not less agile by a lot as some people seem to make it a case of night and day difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans