10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarcaOG

Banned
^ very interesting point.

indeed messi would have conquered it all by now.

spain + messi would be a force for the ages.

Ender

^ very interesting point.

indeed messi would have conquered it all by now.

spain + messi would be a force for the ages.
I could only imagine the overabundance of the "Messi needs Xavi and Iniesta" argument if he had played for Spain.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
If Messi had declared for Spain instead of Argentina he would have 2 European championships and a world cup. With Messi in their Team Spain would be firm favourites to lift the world cup again in 2014 and the Euros in 2016.

If this had happened then I wonder would their be any argument about whether he is the best of all time.

If Cruyff played next to Pele for Brazil would he be considered the best of all time? Why am I asking? Because Cruyff is as Brazilian as Messi is Spanish.

MESSI IS ARGENTINE! He speaks like an Argentine, eats like an Argentine, listens to Argentine music, most of his best friends are Argentine, he impregnated an Argentinean woman and his son will be considered Argentine first. He could have played for Spain sure. He also could have played for Italy, since he's of Italian ancestry and therefore eligible for an Italian passport. But who cares?

And the relationship between the Argentine public and Messi is complicated. That he didn't play for River or Boca hurts, and he doesn't relate to the poor like someone like Tevez does. But they are certainly obsessed with Messi; Olé (biggest Argentine sports tabloid) has a whole section of their website dedicated to nothing but Messi FFS. But they hold him to a higher standard because he has done nothing for the NT or Argentine football in general so far, and that's just the truth.

What makes someone like Maravilla Martinez stand out is how few great boxers Argentina has produced.

Kerrybai

If Cruyff played next to Pele for Brazil would he be considered the best of all time? Why am I asking? Because Cruyff is as Brazilian as Messi is Spanish.

MESSI IS ARGENTINE! He speaks like an Argentine, eats like an Argentine, listens to Argentine music, most of his best friends are Argentine, he impregnated an Argentinean woman and his son will be considered Argentine first. He could have played for Spain sure. He also could have played for Italy, since he's of Italian ancestry and therefore eligible for an Italian passport. But who cares?

And the relationship between the Argentine public and Messi is complicated. That he didn't play for River or Boca hurts, and he doesn't relate to the poor like someone like Tevez does. But they are certainly obsessed with Messi; Olé (biggest Argentine sports tabloid) has a whole section of their website dedicated to nothing but Messi FFS. But they hold him to a higher standard because he has done nothing for the NT or Argentine football in general so far, and that's just the truth.

What makes someone like Maravilla Martinez stand out is how few great boxers Argentina has produced.

It's not unknown for players to declare for their adopted countries. You are right tough, Messi is Argentinian. In fact since he has spent more than half his life in Catalunya as opposed to somewhere like Madrid made it very unlikely he would ever began to feel 'Spanish'. Had he and his entire family moved to Spain when Messi was 10 years of younger then he may well have kitted out for Spain.

I only raised the argument to show how stupid that 'must win an international tournament' argument can be.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Argentina has produced great boxers and world champions over the years.

Boxing is Argentina's most successful sport in the Olympics.

They haven't had a widely known - and marketable boxing in years though.

It's not like Mexico where boxing is nationally huge and a constant source of pride. Argentina has had success at the Olympics there, but not so much professionally.

CatalinR10

bnp0xq

raskolnikov

It's not like Mexico where boxing is nationally huge and a constant source of pride. Argentina has had success at the Olympics there, but not so much professionally.

True, I didnt know of any Argentine boxers outside of Monzon before 2009.

exneo

I'm in agreement.

Yannick03

It's not his fault he never played for an Argentinian club. He tested with River Plate but they found his hormon treatment to expensive.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Sergio Martinez on winning the award over Messi (3rd):

I think there was a mistake, I say this sincerely. Last night it left me floored. Now I repeat it, I believe Leo today is intractable, invincible. I can't win against him. And I'm very proud to be behind him, Messi is better than I am. An incredible athlete from another planet. I could be the best among human athletes but he is from another planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans