10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrus

sneijder is the one that deserved it, Not Messi, Not xavi, sneijder!, sneijder!!, Corrupted fifa asdkasld, With plater and plat asjkndaslkdnaswkdn

K

Karnivore

Messi fully deserved it for sheer individual brilliance. Memorable goals against Valencia and Zaragoza, the demolition job on Arsenal and that was the season Xavi and Iniesta had various injuries in the second half of the season, when Messi went into a freakish scoring run, single handedly winning games for Barcelona, was also the Ronaldo record he was chasing that year (and he won it just after he left Barcelona back in 1997(?).

Sneijder was in the same boat as Ronaldo this season - brilliant all year and made huge contributions to his club side, but as a pure individual, Messi was on a completely different level to anyone else. That's when the 'is he the greatest ever' started.

Ursegor

World Champion
I give you 9 out of 10 WUMin points. Because it's really cleverley done to play Barcelona players of against each other. -1 point however for blatantely using false facts.

Xavi minutes in La Liga in 09 / 10: 2799
Messi: 2841 minutes
Sneijder: 1933 minutes

So it was Sneijder who missed half of the league campaign. Not Xavi. You could have really done better there.

K

Karnivore

I give you 9 out of 10 WUMin points. Because it's really cleverley done to play Barcelona players of against each other. -1 point however for blatantely using false facts.

Xavi minutes in La Liga in 09 / 10: 2799
Messi: 2841 minutes
Sneijder: 1933 minutes

So it was Sneijder who missed half of the league campaign. Not Xavi. You could have really done better there.

It's not 'WUMing' at all, and don't patronise me.

I said second half of the season both Xavi and Iniesta had various injuries - I didn't say they were out for half of it did I? Between around March and April Messi went on a seriously great run of scoring form, he grabbed games by the scruff of the neck and won Barcelona matches (two goals Almeria away, hat-trick Valencia at home, hat-trick Zaragoza away etc).

Xavi wasn't anywhere near as good as he was the previous year in the dominant 2009 season, and Iniesta certainly wasn't as good as either of those two. fact is, Messi rightfully won the WPOTY award that year, and no one else should have got it. End of.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I actually agree with Karnivore on this. Ballon d'or is about who is the best individual. Not who won the most trophies. Messi won European Golden Shoe, best player in la liga, top scorer in UCL, and was also a beast in the start of the 10/11 season. Not to mention his brilliant performance against Arsenal in the UCL. Sneijder was part of title winning teams but wasn't the best player of any single one. Milito was voted best player of Serie A and UCL while Forlan was best in the world cup. Plus Sneijder lost a lot of form at the beginning of the 10/11 season. Sneijder was great but Messi was better.

Ursegor

World Champion
It's not 'WUMing' at all, and don't patronise me.

I said second half of the season both Xavi and Iniesta had various injuries - I didn't say they were out for half of it did I? Between around March and April Messi went on a seriously great run of scoring form, he grabbed games by the scruff of the neck and won Barcelona matches (two goals Almeria away, hat-trick Valencia at home, hat-trick Zaragoza away etc).

Xavi wasn't anywhere near as good as he was the previous year in the dominant 2009 season, and Iniesta certainly wasn't as good as either of those two. fact is, Messi rightfully won the WPOTY award that year, and no one else should have got it. End of.

Scrap it, I give you 1 out of 10 points. You've lost your cool too easily and exposing your remarks about Sneijder's brilliance over Xavi's would be a walk in the park. I would just need to grab out the facts that Xavi got 5 MOTM awards in 10 games in the Champions League according to OPTA (which you so like) that year. More than anyone else in the competition. 4 more than Sneijder. Or that he got the MOTM award with 2 assists in the title deciding Clasico in the Bernabeu in the run-in. Or that he created 30 goalscoring chances in the World Cup, which is a record since Cruyff 74 and 3 times as many as Sneijder. Or that Xavi played 34 out of 38 games whereas Sneijder played 26 out of 38 so your rubbish about Xavi's injuries and Sneijder's "brilliance all year" could be exposed very quickly. But I really don't think I can be bothered. lol

footyfan

Calma, calma
I actually agree with Karnivore on this. Ballon d'or is about who is the best individual. Not who won the most trophies. Messi won European Golden Shoe, best player in la liga, top scorer in UCL, and was also a beast in the start of the 10/11 season. Not to mention his brilliant performance against Arsenal in the UCL. Sneijder was part of title winning teams but wasn't the best player of any single one. Milito was voted best player of Serie A and UCL while Forlan was best in the world cup. Plus Sneijder lost a lot of form at the beginning of the 10/11 season. Sneijder was great but Messi was better.

+1. I felt Messi was also the best player in the World Cup until the match against Germany (Del Bosque thinks the same apparently). However, Ballon D'Or should've gone to Xavi. Messi's dominance in the forward line was replicated by Xavi in midfield. IIRC he created the most goalscoring chances in World Cup history. People underrate Xavi's WC performance but he was close to faultless throughout the tournament. He was crucial in both the CL and league victories too, just as much as Messi. It probably should've been
(1) Xavi (2) Messi (3) Sneijder

But by the end of the year, it was abundantly clear to everyone that on an individual level, Messi was a league above the rest. That might've influenced the voters

M

mitkoa7x

Messi has a phenomenal season in 09-10 on a personal level, way above the others. In my mind there is no doubt he deserved the Ballon d'Or the most.

Jelboo

Let's all see awards for what they are these days: big shows where a bunch of rich people give the most popular footballer an award. It doesn't add anything to Messi's efforts, nor does it detract from it. It's all cosmetics. I wouldn't be bothered if he didn't win it, actually. As long as he plays well, who cares about individual awards.

F

Flavia

Barcastuff
Malaga player Isco named his dog "Messi", after Barcelona player Lionel Messi, his idol [via sport md]

1358003405074.jpg

haha, mine is named Messi too :whistle2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans