10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

La LL

Generally Delightful
Well it is kind of funny how he said it, but I am sure English is not his first language. I do not know what his assumptions are, or what his source is but when you see what happened with Muamba, Abidal, and that D Venkatesh's death, it isn't far from a possibility. Ronaldo was given supplements or injections in Holland to get him bigger, and look what happened with him, he grew unbelievably fat at such a young age and many knee injuries to precede that. I do not know what the side effects of Messi's medication is, but I don't see career ending complications a far out reality, in fact it is a bit more highly probable considering his condition. Lillian Thuram ended his career to save himself, De la Red as well. Not to mention the death of Seville's Puerta and Espanyol's Daniel Jarque.

What I mean is that it's common knowledge, unforeseen injuries aside, that footballers generally make it into their mid-thirties before retiring (except goalkeepers). Unless Messi loses a leg he will be there to play when he is 31. I can almost guarantee it.

35 and the 2022 WC is another matter entirely.

Kerrybai

Messi will still be in his prime for 2018. With the diets and training regimes of professional footballers they can last very long. Look at someone like Ryan Giggs for example. For 2022 he wont be the player he is now but he may be able to play a midfield role.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
i am not in disagreenment with you, its that in light of all that has happened recently, id be aware of dismissing it as a laughing matter.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Messi will still be in his prime for 2018. With the diets and training regimes of professional footballers they can last very long. Look at someone like Ryan Giggs for example. For 2022 he wont be the player he is now but he may be able to play a midfield role.

messi isnt fuckin his bro's wife is he now???

:troll:

zanela

Footballers (athletes) will always 've risk factors to deal with. Sudden health complications can arise when least expected/or even to the fittest of them with no medical history. It's not reserved for any particular few.

Messi's foray in the top flight began early, and has been playing non-stop(without any breaks) of his own will and other times out of requirement. Him being our focal point means he's the most involved player in attack. Bein' the efficient mean goal machine whilst also bein' a creative source can be physically taxing. He certainly can't continue in the same vein whilst also keep up with the physical demands of the game as he gets older. But as his game keeps evolving as has so far. I foresee him in a more static role in the future. And his legacy 'll thus continue...

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Footballers (athletes) will always 've risk factors to deal with. Sudden health complications can arise when least expected/or even to the fittest of them with no medical history. It's not reserved for any particular few.

Messi's foray in the top flight began early, and has been playing non-stop(without any breaks) of his own will and other times out of requirement. Him being our focal point means he's the most involved player in attack. Bein' the efficient mean goal machine whilst also bein' a creative source can be physically taxing. He certainly can't continue in the same vein whilst also keep up with the physical demands of the game as he gets older. But as his game keeps evolving as has so far. I foresee him in a more static role in the future. And his legacy 'll thus continue...

that is natural, except with etoo. all forwards become exceptional with experience in minimizing their game to max efficiency. tho, no idea what messi could make more efficient.

B

barcelonista

More efficient? More static role? Check out the ground Messi covers in the CL (for the CL the stats are online on the UEFA homepage). Average around 8 km. Against Milan in the group stages 7.7 km. Xavi usually covers 12 km. That's 55 % more ground that Xavi covers than Messi. At age 32. I don't think Messi could preserve any more energy as he is doing right now.

Last edited:

dalitis8

Banned
More efficient? More static role? Check out the ground Messi covers in the CL (for the CL the stats are online on the UEFA homepage). Average around 8 km. Against Milan in the group stages 7.7 km. Xavi usually covers 12 km. That's 55 % more ground that Xavi covers. At age 32. I don't think Messi could preserve any more energy as he is doing right now.

Messi is right to do that, and it is probably a direct Pep order.

But tomorrow night, I expect him to cover more than 7.7km, and at higher intensity than his average. Tomorrow is a different ball game.

Kerrybai

Messi is right to do that, and it is probably a direct Pep order.

But tomorrow night, I expect him to cover more than 7.7km, and at higher intensity than his average. Tomorrow is a different ball game.

I think your right that its an order from Pep. Messi used to run for 90 minutes every game, but now that he plays in every fixture and has become the focal point of the team he thas take a less active role when the opposition have the ball. He's not as active in our 'pressing' game.

La LL

Generally Delightful

It's hard to say when his prime is. I'd say he'd be peaking around 27-29, given his explosive contributions that just keep getting better and better. At 31 he will be noticeably slower but he'll retain an edge. But I doubt he'll be as powerful as he was in his late twenties.

Also @ people arguing that he won't last: This guy is amazingly healthy with very few injuries.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
It's hard to say when his prime is. I'd say he'd be peaking around 27-29, given his explosive contributions that just keep getting better and better. At 31 he will be noticeably slower but he'll retain an edge. But I doubt he'll be as powerful as he was in his late twenties.

Also @ people arguing that he won't last: This guy is amazingly healthy with very few injuries.

no one said he will breakdown, but the probability if it isn't a joke or something to dismiss lightly. i am sure trainers will keep a close look on him, as will...

pepe

M

mitkoa7x

no one said he will breakdown, but the probability if it isn't a joke or something to dismiss lightly. i am sure trainers will keep a close look on him, as will...

pepe

I hear the view from Messi's pocket isnt that good

K

kroki223

Well it is kind of funny how he said it, but I am sure English is not his first language. I do not know what his assumptions are, or what his source is but when you see what happened with Muamba, Abidal, and that D Venkatesh's death, it isn't far from a possibility. Ronaldo was given supplements or injections in Holland to get him bigger, and look what happened with him, he grew unbelievably fat at such a young age and many knee injuries to precede that. I do not know what the side effects of Messi's medication is, but I don't see career ending complications a far out reality, in fact it is a bit more highly probable considering his condition. Lillian Thuram ended his career to save himself, De la Red as well. Not to mention the death of Seville's Puerta and Espanyol's Daniel Jarque.

Yes, sorry, my English isn't my first language, and I'm a woman. I thought something similar. I think it isn't normal, what he has been doing since 2008. He has been playing on a really high level. He scores a lot of goals.

Phatroonaldo

More efficient? More static role? Check out the ground Messi covers in the CL (for the CL the stats are online on the UEFA homepage). Average around 8 km. Against Milan in the group stages 7.7 km. Xavi usually covers 12 km. That's 55 % more ground that Xavi covers than Messi. At age 32. I don't think Messi could preserve any more energy as he is doing right now.

That stat is utterly useless when you view it in isolation. It doesn't show that Messi covers 8 km at high speed while Xavi jogs around for most of the game. Strikers in general do much more sprint work and midfielders do more endurance work.

That's the reason players like Robben, Bellamy, Ronaldo de lima (you can include Iniesta, Alexis and a younger Messi before the special diet stuff as well) are/were injured very often. Their playing style is much more intense than the norm and they take much more risks while dribbling.

On the other hand, players like Xavi, Scholes rarely do a high intensity dribble and take less risk with the ball. In turn they are generally less injured. And their career will last much longer than the average player.

A better way of judging how tired players are and their speed endurance would be a stat that shows average number of high intensity sprints/match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans