10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
But why the need to become stronger? is this directly related to injury? His legs always seemed strong, the main increase in muscle is in his upper body, which is not one of the major areas for injuries.

I repeat, he never was easily knocked off the ball, even when he was younger, so why the need to bulk up?
It started with him being very injury prone earlier in his carreer, and the doctors thought it had to do with his poor habits (didn't sleep enough, didn't eat well, drank fizzy drinks, was too weak physically) and decided to put him on a diet and a training schedule. I think they've decided he should get even stronger to prevent injuries, because he's been given one of Barcas top fitness coaches as his personal trainer (even when he's with Argentina). As for getting pushed off the ball, it did happen.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
lolmad

did you see his performance against plzen? he had 2 or 3 runs better than the one at bernabeu (technically) but was extremely unlucky in front of goal. unless he bulked up since then? :

He was already bulked up vs Madrid, the dribbling was more about precision, timing, technique and skill than sheer speed. So, he can still do it, just not as easy for him

Phatroonaldo

holy fuck, can't even reply to someone without messi fanboys getting out their pitchforks. he has to be the best at everything. best dribbler, best goal scorer,better playmaker and passer than iniesta as well.

And the ridiculous change in his upper body doesn't affect his agility and his reaction speed while dropping the shoulders because limitations of human body doesnot apply to him obviously. Amirite guys?

youtube.com/watch?v=Gm8-aPQ7TUA

and again...I cant believe the shit i am reading here!!

now compare this to 3 years ago. not how much defenders he beats, but the difference between the raw pace and quick instanteous reactions when he drops his shoulders now and back then.

I remember two major 1 vs 1 this season, one against madrid in the supercopa when pepe closes him down and against valencia when rami closes him down, so he had to take a weak shot against the keeper both times.messi of the 09/10 would've burned them with his pace.

doesn't make that big of a difference though , he'll just have to adapt his game a little bit.

Hatem Ben Arfa

holy fuck, can't even reply to someone without messi fanboys getting out their pitchforks. he has to be the best at everything. best dribbler, best goal scorer,better playmaker and passer than iniesta as well.

And the ridiculous change in his upper body doesn't affect his agility and his reaction speed while dropping the shoulders because limitations of human body doesnot apply to him obviously. Amirite guys?

now compare this to 3 years ago. not how much defenders he beats, but the difference between the raw pace and quick instanteous reactions when he drops his shoulders now and back then.

I remember two major 1 vs 1 this season, one against madrid in the supercopa when pepe closes him down and against valencia when rami closes him down, so he had to take a weak shot against the keeper both times.messi of the 09/10 would've burned them with his pace.

doesn't make that big of a difference though , he'll just have to adapt his game a little bit.

exactly, just look at him to night and compare with that video you posted.

he's definitely slower, there is no denying it.

I hope it is just down to needing a rest and working off the christmas double chin. But to me it looks like it's got to do with the upper body gym work he's been doing.

Last edited:

Phatroonaldo

lolmad

did you see his performance against plzen? he had 2 or 3 runs better than the one at bernabeu (technically) but was extremely unlucky in front of goal. unless he bulked up since then? :

see it for yourself.

bernabeu -

SGaS1m.jpg

now

5WAXem.jpg

il5eAl.jpg

exactly, just look at him to night and compare with that video you posted.

he's definitely slower, there is no denying it.

I hope it is just down to needing a rest and working off the christmas double chin. But to me it looks like it's got to do with the upper body gym work he's been doing.

i tried to justify it during the first few games because generally it takes a bit of time to be accustomed to the body but the loss of his lightning quick reflexes has been apparent for the whole season.

he loses the ball far more often while trying to beat his man than earlier seasons; about 9 games in the league season he had a patch of games where he just kept losing the ball.

but i'll be happy as long as he keeps banging those goals.

Genossa

Isn't late 20s the peak for physical performance? or does Barca trainers have a plan for Messi to play longer.

Last edited:

ricknattery

Messi has saved our heads WAY too many times to start criticizing him for a few average games. let's not forget that
He will be up to the task against Madrid

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
home grown or home born? ...
Puyi, PEdro & Busquets aren't here from the start too but I consider them home grown... They learned their trade here. They've done the drill, kicked the ball along with the other kids and are totally different players their pre/post La Masia experience. Puyi was a winger? Busi a striker!?

The exceptions that I've mentioned are more or less thrown directly into the first team at their respective clubs! They had already made their professional debut or were on the verge of doing that by the time they signed for their new clubs

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Messi does look not too motivated some times... It's like he just doesn't care. I still remember the Arsenal game that we lost I was like pissed majorly at him. I understand that he must be tired or some thing and that he needs to preserve his energy but why the fuck not get the actual rest like other players do then!? This unnecessary competition with CR7, which he has been for countless times, could prove fatal. Pep needs to step up and put Messi back to his place

dalitis8

Banned
Messi does look not too motivated some times... It's like he just doesn't care. I still remember the Arsenal game that we lost I was like pissed majorly at him. I understand that he must be tired or some thing and that he needs to preserve his energy but why the fuck not get the actual rest like other players do then!? This unnecessary competition with CR7, which he has been for countless times, could prove fatal. Pep needs to step up and put Messi back to his place

Unnecessary and infantile, I would add.

Messi needs to rest in some games this season.

Otherwise, there will be no CL for us, and no 4th consecutive ball for Leo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans