1 - Victor Valdes

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
I've been saying it for years, VV is not a world-class keeper. He is average....very, very average.

Cech, Neur, Casillas, Reina and many more experienced goalies are all much better than him. For younger goalies I'd take Joe Hart or De Gea anyday over him....De Gea has just been looking better and better.

VV has been a weak link for many, many years. We have an amazing team that requires him to not do much at all, and when called to action the majority of the time the ball is in the back of the net or he doesn't look very convincing...not to mention the many mistakes he makes like today.

Sure he makes a great save once in a while but he's a goalie, that doesn't make him special. It makes him average.

XaviMessiGirl

I was gonna say, I've seen Cech, Casillas and Reina all make dumb mistakes as well. Can't believe how so many hate him all of a sudden because of one mistake.

Richard.H

He is right the amount of fans who like Messi or Neymar more than Barca and call themselves cules is ridiculously high atm.

I think this forum is very fair. Of course you will have some members who will be big Messi fans and that's how they mainly follow Barca. The majority of people here though are Barca fans first and foremost. Just because one opinion deviated from the majority, doesn't mean that member is a Messi/Neymar fan.

Jimi

All keepers are eccentric, you'd have to be to stand there and let guys run at you full bore and dive at their feet, we all know valdes is a very very good One-on-one keeper, just ask HENRY, Valdes saved our bacon in that final with some supreme saves.

Like i said before i think all this touch he gets, and involvement makes him very very confident, which is great, but sometimes he gets carried away - like when you go wandering with your keeper in FIFA or PES and the commentator says "This fella thinks he an outfield player" He does, and he isn't. He'll remember this for 9 months then build up enough courage to try again.....

His weakness is his composure, it's a hard gig being the barca keeper, you need to distribute short, none of this big punt stuff (he throws lots) none of this kick it to centre line from a goalkick - he mainly passes short. and if he hits long the ball usually comes back to him from the midfield or the defence to play around the other side, he ACTIVELY participates in movements.

Casillas doesn't pissfart around with the ball as much, but he has more action, more saves etc... He is a more traditional keeper. Would a traditional keeper work at Barca?

Valdes is ok, like i said its a tough gig, but he'splaying for Barca and there shouldn't be any excuse and the criticism is warranted, he'll do something good soon and then the "black power" fist pump he does to celebrate a good save or penalty save will be shown haha!

Trickykid

Vilanova: "Victor has been decisive in 3 of the club's 4 CLs. He's the best goalkeeper for Barça. It surprises me there are still doubts."

Damn fucking straight, Tito!

F

Flavia

I was gonna say, I've seen Cech, Casillas and Reina all make dumb mistakes as well. Can't believe how so many hate him all of a sudden because of one mistake.
I was really mad at Vv after the game, but to think neuer, cech or casillas qould do better at barça is really funny. Vv is the best with his feet. If any of those tried to play like he does, would probably make more mistakes than him.

El Gato

Villarato!
Given the same amount of time as Valdes to get used to playing the ball to defenders rather than booting it out safely every one of these keepers would be better than him at Barca. It's not like he has some special ability to be able to play that way, he just had time to adjust to it.

Galning

Given the same amount of time as Valdes to get used to playing the ball to defenders rather than booting it out safely every one of these keepers would be better than him at Barca. It's not like he has some special ability to be able to play that way, he just had time to adjust to it.

Yeah! It's not like one person can be naturally more gifted to make passes than the other. Just give them some time to practise.

Meitux

Yeah! It's not like one person can be naturally more gifted to make passes than the other. Just give them some time to practise.
yes and because he is a professional and practiced 1 million times on passing and hes a good passer he shouldnt make stupid mistakes like this it,it was the last minutes of the game just clear the damn ball its not necessary everytime to pass it.....

El Gato

Villarato!

Would you say Iker, Neuer, Cech, whomever, would be a better keeper for Barca than Valdes if they started to play the ball to defenders feet?

X

xaviniesta

its not that he has played the whole life like this. under frank and van gaal they rarely used the sweeper keeper. it's something that guardiola and tito bring to this team.

and the other part, i doubt that its something that ALL the keepers in the world could do given the time to adjust. perhaps only the holland school, like vorm in swansea or some other names. but theres another part which is the high line and valdes is no doubt one of the best 1v1 goalkeeper out there. so lets just cut the crap of finding another keeper. in :tito: i trust and in :valdes i trust.

X

xaviniesta

Would you say Iker, Neuer, Cech, whomever, would be a better keeper for Barca than Valdes if they started to play the ball to defenders feet?

no offence but i would never ever want any of those in barcelona.

yes and because he is a professional and practiced 1 million times on passing and hes a good passer he shouldnt make stupid mistakes like this it,it was the last minutes of the game just clear the damn ball its not necessary everytime to pass it.....

thats what i love the most about barcelona - they are different. they don't do the 'regular' things like people expect to do. like hoofing the ball in the final minutes. why? why give away your philophy after 80 minutes?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans