1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

gasgas

What makes you think Bravo was just a "back-up" keeper? He was one of the best keepers in the league already. It was clear that they would be competing, I don't buy that you haven't seen this coming when he was appointed. Barca gave green light for a long term playrole for him, when Ter Stegen hasn't even played a single competetive match for Barca yet and ter Stegen's injury lasted WEEKS at best. It wasn't like he was out the entire first half of the season.
Yes, it's the boards job to ensure that Barca works, after all no player is bigger than the club. But that doesn't excuse them from luring players like that. That IS selfish. I know that there are wrong and right reasons for Barca to appoint Bravo and that he had also deserved the playtime, but from Ter Stegens perspective alone this was simply a punch in the face, and we all know it. This is singlehandedly supported by the fact that he is now giving an interview about his unsure intentions about a future at Barca.

This is simply what it looks like to me: Barca signed Ter Stegen, a young upcoming keeper, after Valdes decided to leave. He looked good at Gladbach, but Barca was aware that this is a risk and a possible flop would be lethal. So in order to cover their own asses, they decided to go with a second goalkeeper, an experienced one on Ter Stegen's level. Not as just a back-up, but as actual competition to see who actually performs better. After all it was a piece of safety for just 10m. It's no doubt a smart move from the board, the signing of Bravo was absolutely great. It just wasn't great for the other goalkeeper who signed earlier had no idea, that Barca is now doing the same that Madrid had done earlier with Casillas and Diego Lopez.

Bravo was actually the gk with most errors leading to goal, in 2013/14 by april he had about 13 IIRC

Last edited:

Egert

Estonian Culé
Ter Stegen: "Bundesliga return possible? Too early to think about it. First there are important games, then we'll see the plans of the club"

Ter Stegen: "My place at GER? Manu (Neuer) is clearly the number one. He's the best in the world. Behind him, we're fighting for our place."

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
Yeah, I'd rather let Bravo go and keep Marc.

Bravo is great but Marc isn't far behind and he's like 10 years younger.

aaron101

How? Impossible to actually please 2 gk's like that. This current setup wouldn't last long. A shame, as it benefitted the club. But so far Bravo is quieter about it, while those interviews with MAtS keep popping up every other week. I don't want him to go, but I'm getting annoyed, tbh.

Like I said, equal play time in all competition (50:50) as in GK rotation. Every game is a rotation for both. Both will alternate. If we play 2 games every week, both of them will simply play just 1. That's the only way to make it equal for both of them. If one of them is not happy with that, he is free to leave on loan or permanent.

They can also offer Mats La Liga and Bravo to play UCL and Copa (other way around). If Bravo is not happy with that, then he's free to leave. Simple as that. After all, we only need 1 world class GK and if one of them is not happy with the changes for next season, let him leave.

If Mats leaves, so be it. We'll just have to move on.

This is just a suggestion. I'm confident that the board and Lucho will do the best for the club. Remember the interview of Lucho when he said that, I will decide what's best for the club as if I'll be here for 150 years.

Last edited:

Galning

It looks like Ter Stegen is fed up with it so either they'll promise him more playing time this summer or he will ask for a transfer.

raskolnikov

Anytime they put a mic in front of him he statts whining. Like two weeks ago im still bothered by his impatient attitude.
We can switch things around next season. If he wants to play everything maybe he should go join the likes of Liverpool. Get some el experience and concede goals weekly.

Alik

I guess he means something like Leno, starting every game for a mid table club but also being considered a back up in the NT?

The system isn't why they're playing well.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that or why it is relevant "how they play". They're most definitely not benefitting from getting fewer gametime, hence why MatS here is complaining in the first place.

What I mean is that competition among them has pushed them to perform better than they would have otherwise. Perhaps that is more true for Bravo then it is for Stegen, but it is still a factor in my opinion.

That's what I understand by "benefiting" from the system. Stegen's performance has shown no indication that his development has stalled. On the contrary, I believe that he has improved.

As for his position in the national team, Neuer won't be displaced any time soon no matter what, so it is not really relevant.

Jurij

Anytime they put a mic in front of him he statts whining. Like two weeks ago im still bothered by his impatient attitude.
We can switch things around next season. If he wants to play everything maybe he should go join the likes of Liverpool. Get some el experience and concede goals weekly.

This is very irritating. Clearly it is a terrible trait to have. But fans seem to want to sell Bravo everytime Ter Stegen opens his mount. So it is working. Bravo is much better right now though. So selling him would be really stupid. Like selling Macherano because he is old and Bartra is younger.

God Serena

This is very irritating. Clearly it is a terrible trait to have. But fans seem to want to sell Bravo everytime Ter Stegen opens his mount. So it is working. Bravo is much better right now though. So selling him would be really stupid. Like selling Macherano because he is old and Bartra is younger.

Bravo is not "Much" better. If he's better at all it's marginal at best, especially if you consider that Bravo is playing much more often and much more consistently. The odds are actually stacked against Mats, as receiving such inconsistent playing time would be a good reason for his form to drop, and then he'd be at risk of getting dropped from the CL games, too.

Kerrybai

I'm impressed he's lasted this long. I'd have packed up and left in January of the first season if I joined a club and found myself immediately benched.

You would have left the greatest club in the world on the verge of make to cup final runs? I don't think many others would have done the same.

BarçaBarça

Please don't compare Bravo-Ter Stegen with Mascherano-Bartra :(
I really don't hope Ter Stegen leaves, although I understand that playing time in the cup/CL isn't enough. But would he really leave if the roles aren't changed next season - would be quite crazy on his part as well, IMO.
Of course it is a hard time for Bravo if he would have to leave or get less playing time - you could fairly ask what he possibly could do to stay in front of MaTS. IMO he just isn't THAT much better than MaTS, in fact they are at same level - therefore we should stick with the younger version, who also IMPROVES our passing game, which could proof tactical significant in the big matches.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Maybe you should blame the journalists for asking the same damn thing every time.

We're going through one of our best periods in history. If this needed Bravo as main GK in the league and Mats as main GK in the cups, then all for the better. If someone doesn't like it, he can go whenever he wants - the interests of the club are more important than the whinings of a player. I see no reason for dropping Bravo other than fulfilling the wishes of the "young is better" crowd.

Home of Barca Fans