1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

serghei

Nothing he could have done. But if Bravo were there, Torres would have either hit the post or mis-controlled the pass in essence not scoring.

I disagree. The shot was great and he couldn't have done better there, but he could have cleared that ball before Torres made contact. The ball was approaching him and evading Torres, it was an advantageous situation for the keeper. If he was quicker and didn't have that moment of hesitation, he would've cleared the ball imo. But he was caught flat-footed. It happens, no biggie, but to say he had no fault whatsoever is just not true.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

[vine]https://vine.co/v/eFnxznzHVmL[/vine]

The ball was way closer to Torres than mats. If he tried to sweep, he'd probably be dribbled, and would be blamed for not staying in the goal.

silvia

well, at least he had to come out and block some angles for shooter at 1 on 1, but its his first debut. He will know how he will do next time.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
well, at least he had to come out and block some angles for shooter at 1 on 1, but its his first debut. He will know how he will do next time.

Absolutely. He should have moved forward to close the angles.
Goal is not on him but his reaction, or lack of, leaves something to be desired.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Absolutely. He should have moved forward to close the angles.
Goal is not on him but his reaction, or lack of, leaves something to be desired.

This sums it up perfectly... He hesitated whether to come out or not and that greatly reduced his chances to make a save. Obviously, the goal is not on him and Torres could have scored even if he came out of his line, but once again he is showing some confidence issues...

R

Ryu Hayabusa

[vine]https://vine.co/v/eFnxznzHVmL[/vine]

The ball was way closer to Torres than mats. If he tried to sweep, he'd probably be dribbled, and would be blamed for not staying in the goal.

At least the haters managed to claim MatS was at fault here for a while...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Can't expect him to blossom with confidence when he

1. Never had the chance to play regularly and gain match rhythm in his Barca career so far
2. Received so much crap from a part of the fanbase and the media speculating he can get stripped off his CL duties based on TWO pre-sesaon games.
3. Was his debut in La Liga

Yet the German National Team set-up rates him higher than other GKs they have who play regularly and they aren't exactly lacking in talented GKs. His supposed confidence issues can't be that bad I guess. He didn't struggle with his confidence in the knockout rounds of the CL last season.

Last edited:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
When I say he has confidence issues I'm not implying he should be blamed or that they are unjustified, just that in order to make it here he will have to overcome them...

Just look at how his passing has taken a dip too, despite his obvious talent... We all know he can be a great keeper and he proved it last season, just that he's had a little drop in terms on form and that seems to be affecting him...

He'll never be as good as Bravo the latin God, though, hahaha...

Zinedinho

I recently watched a Youtube video of Gary Neville's analysis of De Gea's improvement in several aspects of his game. One of them was one on ones (begins around 5:00). According to his analysis, Ter Stegen did the right thing by holding his position:

[youtube]_t2t1M-5FqY[/youtube]

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
When I say he has confidence issues I'm not implying he should be blamed or that they are unjustified, just that in order to make it here he will have to overcome them...

Just look at how his passing has taken a dip too, despite his obvious talent... We all know he can be a great keeper and he proved it last season, just that he's had a little drop in terms on form and that seems to be affecting him...

He'll never be as good as Bravo the latin God, though, hahaha...

Didn't mean in that way. I agree with you, was just pointing out reasons for why he's not as confident right now as he was last season. Several factors to consider. He'll have 3-4 LL games to play before Bravo is back. Let's see how he does... This mini spell of games might do him a world of good.

Last edited:

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
He could have done this, he could have done that. The defense fucked up badly and there was no way MAtS would have reached that ball before Torres. He did not come out because Jordi was close and everyone knows how fast he is, so a bit of a hesitation by Torres and Alba possibly catches up to him.
Torres placed that shot perfectly. It took a perfect shot to beat MAtS so I would not even get the idea to blame him for the goal.

Wavy

Can't expect him to blossom with confidence when he

1. Never had the chance to play regularly and gain match rhythm in his Barca career so far
2. Received so much crap from a part of the fanbase and the media speculating he can get stripped off his CL duties based on TWO pre-sesaon games.
3. Was his debut in La Liga

Yet the German National Team set-up rates him higher than other GKs they have who play regularly and they aren't exactly lacking in talented GKs. His supposed confidence issues can't be that bad I guess. He didn't struggle with his confidence in the knockout rounds of the CL last season.

Was this his first game ever in La Liga?

Home of Barca Fans