Financial Fair Play (News, debates, opinions, Platini, etc.)

Sterlingfan2000

Why would most clubs want FFP? Leagues need foreign investors if they want to bring in stars and compete. The Italian league is dying with no outside investors willing to spend big money and big names like AC Milan and Inter are just a shadow of their former selves. If the leagues continue to deny foreign investors the chance to attract stars to their league, they will suffer in the end, and players will end up in England instead.

Tell that to germany, we have huge potential but our president is a fool and bayern fan

Dumbass Platini still ranting against the financial power of the biggest clubs while saying absolutely nothing about the crazy spending power of mediocre BPL clubs.
Quotes SPAIN out of all places to say that there used to be more diversity, nominally citing atletico and valencia as examples. Goes on to say that now it's pretty much only barça and real.

Didn't anyone tell this idiot that Atletico, Sevilla and Valencia probably all make european top 10 ? Screw that sell out.

Anyway, his magic solution would be to raise the quotas of homegrown player. As if that would make a difference. BPL teams in particular will buy more english players only to permaglue them to the bench.

Last edited:

S7_MUFC

Tell that to germany, we have huge potential but our president is a fool and bayern fan

A few years ago Germany was considered the perfect model for England with great atmosphere and cheap tickets. Is that still true? or was everything over-hyped due to all German CL final and success of Dortmund

S7_MUFC

Dumbass Platini still ranting against the financial power of the biggest clubs while saying absolutely nothing about the crazy spending power of mediocre BPL clubs.
Quotes SPAIN out of all places to say that there used to be more diversity, nominally citing atletico and valencia as examples. Goes on to say that now it's pretty much only barça and real.

Didn't anyone tell this idiot that Atletico, Sevilla and Valencia probably all make european top 10 ? Screw that sell out.

Anyway, his magic solution would be to raise the quotas of homegrown player. As if that would make a difference. BPL teams in particular will buy more english players only to permaglue them to the bench.
If you have issues with City and Chelsea than I'm with you but you can't blame mid table EPL clubs for having a fairer mechanism to distribute TV money...That's a solution not part of the problem and IMO most league should implement it

The distribution is fair. The amount is ridiculous in comparison to what other leagues get. And it's not just mid table BPL teams, but every single one of them.
Teams like sunderland or west ham etc have more money to spend than many CL playing clubs, it's fucked up. Anyway, just using this as an example for Platini's incompetence. Acting like Spain is only barça-real... is quite simply retarded.

because the barça real dominance is the strongest duo ever, the easiest target for ignorant ears.
In France very few people realize that Sevilla is back-to-back Europa winners, that atletico won it a bunch of times recently, that valencia is a strong team etc. Pundits hardly talk of spain at all, and when they do most don't know jackshit about it.

A few months ago pierre ménès, biggest football pundit in france by far, and self-confessed barça aficionado (and not a bad guy all in all -in open conflict with the french league & federations)... claimed that marca was notoriously pro-barça. He corrected himself only after several people mocked him.

Last edited:

S7_MUFC

The distribution is fair. The amount is ridiculous in comparison to what other leagues get. And it's not just mid table BPL teams, but every single one of them.
Teams like sunderland or west ham etc have more money to spend than many CL playing clubs, it's fucked up. Anyway, just using this as an example for Platini's incompetence. Acting like Spain is only barça-real... is quite simply retarded.
I just think it's weird to complain about EPl because they pull in more money as a whole..Should they turn down more money offered by sky because it would be unfair on other leagues?

It's weird to complain that west ham is richer than Marseille ? :lol:
Right.

Why are you asking a question of "should" ? We could play this game all day and never get anywhere. Obviously the BPL doesn't deserve half it's current international hype, it's just the way it is. Accordingly, people hate them for it, and that's that.

S7_MUFC

It's weird to complain that west ham is richer than Marseille ? :lol:
Right.

Why are you asking a question of "should" ? We could play this game all day and never get anywhere. Obviously the BPL doesn't deservein half it's current international hype, it's just the way it is. Accordingly, people hate them for it, and that's that.

There's no such thing as deserving international hype...You do so with clever marketing and promoting the league and La Liga and others were left behind when EPL marketed itself in the nineties and with club loyalties already in place it is difficult to market other leagues now..

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
There's no such thing as deserving international hype...You do so with clever marketing and promoting the league and La Liga and others were left behind when EPL marketed itself in the nineties and with club loyalties already in place it is difficult to market other leagues now..

There's one thing EPL and England have which none of the countries and leagues ever will, and that's the language, English :lol:

That's an advantage they'll always have when they'll explore new locations to market their league and teams. I don't think EPL would've behind any league even if for example Serie A led on with an aggressive marketing campaign globally.

S7_MUFC

There's one thing EPL and England have which none of the countries and leagues ever will, and that's the language, English :lol:

That's an advantage they'll always have when they'll explore new locations to market their league and teams. I don't think EPL would've behind any league even if for example Serie A led on with an aggressive marketing campaign globally.

But do you think it's wrong that mid table EPL teams have money to spend? People here seem to have something against EPL teams distributing money more fairly and they come up short when I ask them to come up with the alternative. The whole "EPL teams having money is the bigger problem" argument has no legs to stand on IMO...

Neeraj

I agree in sentiment about your points, and feel the same way about mediocre English clubs like Tottenham able to spend vastly more money on a regular basis than a team like, lets say, Atletico.

However, your argument that it's not fair, or that Platini/English FA/clubs/ etc. are to blame for this is quite misplaced I'm afraid. If you are aware of how TV money works, you'd realize that the league negotiates with the broadcaster and then the teams get their share of the money.

It just so happens that the English league, though inferior in a footballing sense (at least according to me and many others), has marketed itself incredibly well and has blown everyone out of the water in that respect. The EPL makes more than all the other leagues in Europe combined - and this isn't by chance.

First of all, they take an effort. They play games at the perfect time to maximize their reach. And then you have Spain, who till now had an attitude problem and refuse to change their ridiculous late night kick offs as that's the "Spanish Culture". Now that they have realized the fact that they need to cater to the global audience, they have started experimenting with those 12:00 pm kickoffs we saw last season.

I believe unless Spain starts airing it's games at a more suitable time for the rest of the world (especially Asia), it's never going to compete financially, as a league - which is a pity since La Liga has the more important ingredient for a successful league - top quality players.

Then there's the fact that the current coverage in Spain, is absymal to say the least. Big matches are often not covered, there's no excitement created for even clasicos, there's no decent pre shows, analysis, etc. The actual match coverage itself is so poor, with pathetic commentary and sound, and just no atmosphere.

So considering these factors, it shouldn't be a surprise West Ham is light years ahead of a Villareal in terms of spending power.

Neeraj

In addition to my post above, agree with this. The entire league, presentation, marketing, etc. - the focus is delivered in one crisp format that is English. This is a huge leverage, which I can't see Spain or Germany managing to match anytime soon.

it's a fine thing to share our sentiments towards the BPL, just please don't use my posts as a proxy for it :masip:
you can't blame mid table EPL clubs
Where do i blame anyone for anything ? :lol:
I just think it's weird to complain about EPl because they pull in more money as a whole
it's weird to be unhappy that the mighty BPL's sporting results are down the drain while its paycheck's growth is inversely proportional ? I'm definitely a weirdo then.
If you have issues with City and Chelsea than I'm with you
Sooo that logic doesn't apply to city and chelsea for some reason... ok.
There's no such thing as deserving international hype...
:VdB: Seriously think about what you write a little and don't be so partisan.
they come up short when I ask them to come up with the alternative.
Wth :lol: insecurity maybe ? all right, let's get the joker to burn half the money. Since when does it make it "fair" for something to be just because you don't know how to stop it ?
your argument that it's not fair is quite misplaced. (...)
So considering these factors, it shouldn't be a surprise West Ham is light years ahead of a Villareal in terms of spending power.
All right, so it's fair that a newly promoted BPL club will have more spending power than just about any team outside of the top four of the big five or something ? You're definitely in the minority here... And where did i seem surprised either ? Nowhere... your post might be explanatory to some but certainly not to me in this case... I'd also add that this joint rationalization of the source of the BPL money overlooked the crucial fact that, for starters, the BPL is much more domestically popular than any other league. Anyway just in case, i do know that life is not fair :adriano:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans