Atletico de Madrid

JerseyAddict

It's almost been 8 years since Simeone arrived. I think this so called boring tactic will keep being effective at Atlético until he leaves.

At a club like Atléti it's always harder to upgrade. Instead, the goal is to keep the players that made the team work in the first place.

I agree. And your last sentence is what "crossed" my mind to... what when their prime players get to old... they can always miss like with Kalinic. But when they miss with a defender. That will be a show.

Messi983

I agree. And your last sentence is what "crossed" my mind to... what when their prime players get to old... they can always miss like with Kalinic. But when they miss with a defender. That will be a show.

It's hard to totally miss with a defender when you have a great defensive system that makes individual players look much better than they would probably look in any other club in the world.

But it looks like Godin is considering leaving for Inter. Lucas Hernandez was linked to Bayern and although I don't totally believe those rumours anything is possible. Luis Filipe will almost certainly leave and Juanfran is also 34 and might also leave. So they will need to bring at least one CB to rotate with Gimenez/Savić/Lucas, Jonny Castro will probably return from loan to replace Filipe and if Juanfran leave they'll need someone to backup Arias (though Jonny can play RB as well but I was looking for them to have 2 players at each position) who had early struggles to adapt to Atletico but is playing better now. So there will be some changes in their backline and we'll see how new players will integrate.

Leo_Messi

Why would you say that? I think that Atletico are as efficient as ever.

Not even close. They are getting by so far but those of us who have been unfortunate enough to watch them fairly regularly this season, will tell you that they have been far from convincing. Neither defensively nor offensively. They are completely dependent on Griezmann offensively. Oblak bailing them out numerous times defensively is not breaking news either.

Their old guard composed of Juanfran, Felipe, and their defensive leader Godín are shadows of their former selves. The leadership and presence of Gabi is also missed. Costa has been incredibly underwhelming as well adding to their dependency on Griezmann even more.

It would be a disgrace for Barça not to win the league this season even though the results have been far from convincing even though things have changed as expected given the favorable league schedule.

Centauri B

Not even close. They are getting by so far but those of us who have been unfortunate enough to watch them fairly regularly this season, will tell you that they have been far from convincing. Neither defensively nor offensively. They are completely dependent on Griezmann offensively. Oblak bailing them out numerous times defensively is not breaking news either.

Their old guard composed of Juanfran, Felipe, and their defensive leader Godín are shadows of their former selves. The leadership and presence of Gabi is also missed. Costa has been incredibly underwhelming as well adding to their dependency on Griezmann even more.

It would be a disgrace for Barça not to win the league this season even though the results have been far from convincing even though things have changed as expected given the favorable league schedule.

Of course there's no excuse for us not winning the league, and I am firmly convinced that we will do exactly that. But I don't agree that Atletico are as bad as you make them out to be. Even in their title winning season, most of their victories were indeed narrow, this is nothing new apropos Simeone's Atleti.

What I was trying to say is that they are not a bad team by any means, and I would also add that I can see them potentially knocking out Juve and CR1600.

Leo_Messi

Of course there's no excuse for us not winning the league, and I am firmly convinced that we will do exactly that. But I don't agree that Atletico are as bad as you make them out to be. Even in their title winning season, most of their victories were indeed narrow, this is nothing new apropos Simeone's Atleti.

What I was trying to say is that they are not a bad team by any means, and I would also add that I can see them potentially knocking out Juve and CR1600.

They are not bad, don't misunderstand me. They are just not up to their usual standards under Simeone's era. Last season was the beginning of their relative decline (I am aware of the fact that they won the Europa League but that only occurred because they choked horribly in the CL) and this season seems like somewhat of a transition season. I am not convinced that they can be a real threat in the league unless we choke horribly by throwing points away left and right against opponents that we should win against.

Yes, I could very well see that happening although the main goal of Juventus is to win the CL and with CR onboard (his luck as well) and a league title practically already secured as usual post 2011, you can never count them out.

Centauri B

They are not bad, don't misunderstand me. They are just not up to their usual standards under Simeone's era. Last season was the beginning of their relative decline (I am aware of the fact that they won the Europa League but that only occurred because they choked horribly in the CL) and this season seems like somewhat of a transition season. I am not convinced that they can be a real threat in the league unless we choke horribly by throwing points away left and right against opponents that we should win against.

Yes, I could very well see that happening although the main goal of Juventus is to win the CL and with CR onboard (his luck as well) and a league title practically already secured as usual post 2011, you can never count them out.

I agree that Juventus enjoy the luxury of having their league wrapped up before a single ball is kicked. This makes them even more dangerous in the CL.

As I am typing this, Atleti are looking likely to crash out of the CdR. Girona 1-2 up in the Metropolitano.

Edit: As usual, Atleti will only die hard. Now 2-2 through Correa.

Last edited:

Morten

I agree that Juventus enjoy the luxury of having their league wrapped up before a single ball is kicked. This makes them even more dangerous in the CL.

As I am typing this, Atleti are looking likely to crash out of the CdR. Girona 1-2 up in the Metropolitano.

Edit: As usual, Atleti will only die hard. Now 2-2 through Correa.

Nothing that indicates having it easy domestically makes it easier to compete in the CL.
Lack of competition at home is often a negative, not a positive.

Home of Barca Fans