Best Possession/footballing teams?

Ketoth

Possession football is boring. Attacking football is where fun football lies. Arsenal, Dortmund play attacking football now.
Don't mix up 'possession football' with 'best football'.

Ketoth

I'd rather see 20 clear cut chances or end to end stuff than 500 boring passes. Most people (outside this forum) do too.

Ustari

Mou, res!
Maybe it's time for 'most people outside this forum' to change their favourite sport to handball or ping pong i guess.

veryfatchocobo

In terms of internationals:
-Japan
-Spain
- Mexico kinda (not really)

Clubs?
-Swansea
-Arsenal...? not really so much anymore
-Real Madrid when vs. a midtable team

I don't think there are any true possession-oriented teams besides Barcelona and somewhat Swansea really. When I mean possession-oriented, I really mean the teams that defend by possession. Apparently, there was an article that a J-League team's trying to accomplish this but dunno if they're failing or succeeding.

If Rodgers is successful with Liverpool, I'll lol

JimmyGuitarist

I don't understand some people's judgement of possession football being defensive. It's the most attacking football possible. It's not attacking in the same sense of Stoke lugging it into the box or Madrid shooting from the half-way line. It's pro-active attacking. One error in the build leaves you open because everyone are in attacking positions. If you want to call it defensive, it's defensive in the sense that you constantly attack to defend.

Anyway, Universidad de Chile are another possession team.
I don't think there are any teams with the same mentality as Barca when it comes to possession though. I mean people say Arsenal are the closest but, in the most recent meeting between them, it was Barcelona 76% - 24% Arsenal.

Last edited:

JimmyGuitarist

Arsenal were playing with 10 men for nearly half of the match.
Well at 11 men, they couldn't get out of there own half.
But, I just looked at the most recent. I've looked at the others, and Barca always have a lions share.
In the game before that one I put, which Arsenal won 2-1, it was Arsenal 34% - Barcelona 66%. In the first leg between the two in the 2009/2010 CL, Arsenal 35% - Barcelona 65%; second leg Barcelona 68% - Arsenal 32%.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I think the current Barca and Spain teams are something new to an extent, even previous skill based offensive teams would only control the ball this much against weak opposition or to kill time, it has its orgins in previous systems but it was never taken to such an extreme and I don't think in the future it will be more than a reference point either, like with Swansea.

The media has talked about tiki-taka in regard to Fiorentina since they brought in Valero, Pizarro, Aquilani and Fernandez, and the team is definitely relying on posession and short passes as their strength but the label was dismissed by Montella, claiming it means nothing if you don't score goals. Roma coach Zemen also criticized the Barca/Spain system, saying horizontal passes are pointless.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
The media has talked about tiki-taka in regard to Fiorentina since they brought in Valero, Pizarro, Aquilani and Fernandez, and the team is definitely relying on posession and short passes as their strength but the label was dismissed by Montella, claiming it means nothing if you don't score goals. Roma coach Zemen also criticized the Barca/Spain system, saying horizontal passes are pointless.
Recently? And this coming from a student of Football?

Looking at horizontal passes individually, sure, but as a whole? Ultimately, if you have the ball the opposition isn't a threat and you are in control of making things happen, it's very simple.

B

BrianSwan

You don't think Valencia and Bilbao are possession teams? Bayern are better at it than Arsenal too

Home of Barca Fans