Are CL winners the best team in Europe?

CL winners the best in Europe?

• Yes

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • Can't really say! They are just lucky!!

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
F

Flavia

Chelsea are the best team this season in Europe whether we like it or not , i don't support them but i'm not as bitter as cules with Chelsea (by default )

Chelsea are not the best team of europe, and even their fans admitted so. That's one of the things that makes football atractive, a team that is not the best can win a tournament.

Eighteen99

You can't be the best in Europe when you finish 6th in your domestic league. I'm a firm believer of the CL only being available for CHAMPIONS of each league, but I doubt I will ever get to see that.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Where is Dalitis when you need him? :lol:

Calling a team the objective best because of one trophy doesn't make sense. There is always the element of luck and rewarding teams for focusing on one trophy while neglecting others. I don't mean to downplay Chelsea because it took a lot more than luck, but I don't know if anyone can seriously call them the best team in Europe with a straight face.

not necessarily.

it can all line up; like us in 2006, 2009 and 2011, or Bayern in 2001, Milan in 2007 and United in 2008.

but it often doesn't.

2000: Bayern/Real
2001: Bayern/Bayern
2002: Leverkusen/Real
2003: Real/Milan
2004: Milan/Porto
2005: Milan/Liverpool
2006: Barcelona/Barcelona
2007: Milan/Milan
2008: United/United
2009: Barcelona/Barcelona
2010: Barcelona/Inter
2011: Barcelona/Barcelona
2012: Barcelona/Chelsea

Real Madrid was the best team in Europe in 2012, sadly.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Calling a team the objective best because of one trophy doesn't make sense. There is always the element of luck and rewarding teams for focusing on one trophy while neglecting others. I don't mean to downplay Chelsea because it took a lot more than luck, but I don't know if anyone can seriously call them the best team in Europe with a straight face.

it took defensive diligence, but a whole cuntload of luck on top of that. the way Napoli, Benfica, Barça and Bayern all inexplicably started finishing like pub teams is nothing but pure unadulerated luck. it doesn't mean Chelsea can't enjoy their triumph (it was truly football at its "best" if you will) but they're not the best team in Europe.

Real Madrid was the best team in Europe in 2012, sadly.

the best team in Europe doesn't get comprehensively outplayed by every top-tier team they play. alright they did us twice but we played them 6 times this year and schooled them every other time, and Bayern made them look like utter cunts over two legs as well; only Gomez's inept finishing sent that tie into extra time.

Real won most of their games on individual brilliance and ref help. they're not the best team at all. look at how they struggled when opponents played like a team, for instance - Valencia & Malaga at the Bernabeu spring to mind, also Rayo away.

Bayern could have claimed it but choked hysterically in their two cup finals and lost the league.

Dortmund could claim it but were monumentally shit in the CL group stages (Dortmund are the best shout, tbh).

City could claim it but they choked the CL & two cups, plus they needed a last minute winner against 10 man QPR to win the Title on GD against probably the worst United side for six years.

Juve could claim it but they drew way too many games.

we retain the Title by virtue of no one stepping up to claim it.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly. For some SuperCopa and Copa Clasicos aren't worth anything all of a sudden. Also, League H2H is on our side.

Beast

The Observer
we retain the Title by virtue of no one stepping up to claim it.

Based on your success in which major trophy exactly ? being 9 points behind Real Madrid or crashing out in the CL SF ?

You have to prove you are the best not based on your alternative life

I didn't see you outplay us in Camp Nou the last two times we met there ;)

Clockwise

Buccaneer
Yes.. they are ..

They beat over 180 minutes and with 10 men for large part of the second leg.. and you claim you are the best team in the world, right ? you can't even be the best team in Spain

No Beastman

just no. Your comment is too generally speaking about something that can not be spoken generally about. not enough facts or reasons behind any of your claims or implied claims. they can be argued about too easily.
The way they beat us over 2 legs was not convincing to put them up with best in Europe. They're not even the best in London, let alone England. It is also interesting to notice how and why they lost their 11th man. Getafe won against us, playing exactly the same, and in the process also managed to leave the pitch with 11 men. which team is better? Barcelona or Getafe?

If they are really the best in Europe, it is a truly sad day for European football.

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
I'd go with Dortmund for the best team of the 2011/12 season. They had their issues (mostly due to injures/uncertainty about players) in the CL groups but they've been the best consistently since about November. Thrashed Bayern in the cup final, went on a record unbeaten run in the Bundesliga.

hellsangel1

I agree with Jose Mourinho that the best team doesn't always win the Champions League . There is a real element of luck involved in winning that competition. Liverpool were extremely lucky the year they beat Milan to win the final. In fact they werevery lucky to even reach the final, they were outplayed for 95% by Milan. There is no way they were the best team in Europe that year . Same goes with Man Utd when they beat Bayern. Porto weren't the best team in Europe when they won the CL.........Ac milan were way ahead of them that year.

It doesn't happen always but there are more than a couple examples of teams winning the CL in the last decade when they were clearly not the best side in europe.

Sadly, the best team in Europe this year were Real Madrid.......they've played the most consistent football that i've seen this year . They had the record points total and totally snatched away Barca's dominance in the league. Barca HAVE to respond next year to show that this was a one-off.

Last edited:

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Id also say Dortmund if you only take 2012 into account. For the complete season i guess its RM. Overall best performance when you you take all season matches in consideration. And thats were Chelsea drops out. They won the cup from a few key matches under fairly fortunate conditions. Doesnt make them the best team in my book.

Cat Planet

If you remember me, I am a Chelsea fan. We'll milk it for all its worth but deep down I think everybody knows that cup/knockout competitions are not fair measures of consistency, which is an important factor in determining who is the best. If there was a European super league we would, at best, have finished about 13th.

The Champion's League winners = best European team has as much credibility as CWC winner = best team in the world. If you do a double of your league and the CL, I think you have a good shout for best European team. As it stands though, I'd still have Barcelona and Real sharing top spot with perhaps Dortmund in third and the Manchester's sharing fourth. Bayern should be nowhere near the top 5, rubbish team, happy to win 10-0 when playing some former East German mining outpost but can't deliver when it counts.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans