David Alaba

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Alaba lost nothing. He is playing CB because of Bayern's injury problems and there he is leading the defence and playing an exceptional season.

Rory

We could sign him and get rid of Umtiti and alba/firpo, net cost would be nothing. He even covers both positions.

Messi983

I fully support selling Alba (won't happen though) and Umtiti (just too injury prone to seriously count on him) but we should bring two players to replace them.

Yes, Alaba can cover both positions but he can't play them at the same time (unless we clone him :p). I'm all for having versatile players but those should be mostly reserved for squad/rotation players like Roberto (he's been a starter for way too long). If you buy a player like Alaba you need to bring him with a clear position where he'll play in mind (LB in our case) and adjust the rest of the team. You can't count on him as a starting LB and an emergency 3rd or 4th CB. You only use his versatility if you absolutely need to (in case of injuries, suspensions,..) but you don't go into the season with "a player less just because Alaba can play two positions at a high level" (he would first still need to prove he can do this at Barça).

Anyway, we'll never get Alaba so this debate is irrrelevant.

Rory

I fully support selling Alba (won't happen though) and Umtiti (just too injury prone to seriously count on him) but we should bring two players to replace them.

Yes, Alaba can cover both positions but he can't play them at the same time (unless we clone him :p). I'm all for having versatile players but those should be mostly reserved for squad/rotation players like Roberto (he's been a starter for way too long). If you buy a player like Alaba you need to bring him with a clear position where he'll play in mind (LB in our case) and adjust the rest of the team. You can't count on him as a starting LB and an emergency 3rd or 4th CB. You only use his versatility if you absolutely need to (in case of injuries, suspensions,..) but you don't go into the season with "a player less just because Alaba can play two positions at a high level" (he would first still need to prove he can do this at Barça).

Surprised how you've read into that. We should definitely invest in CB's this summer but I didn't think I'd have to point out all the different things I'd do in addition to getting Alaba. I'd buy him and play him at LB. If for some reason there were loads of injuries to our CB's then he could play there while they recovered just like he has done this year. And obviously he'd have to maintain his level here, I'm not suggesting starting someone regardless of their form. He's run down his contract and there's 1 year left, meaning a quality player can possibly be bought for less than they are worth. He's someone worth attempting to sign.

MTL_Barca

Imo he definitely fell off compared to his best days but he's still a very good and versatile player. If Alaba is garbage idk how you could describe the form of some other big name players these past years, including large parts of our own squad.

Last edited:

Messigician

Imo he definitely fell off compared to his best days but he's still a very good and versatile player. If Alaba is garbage idk how you could describe the form of some other big name players these past years, including large parts of our own squad.

Our squad is garbage too.

Went from Henry Zlatan Messi
Xavi Iniesta Busquets.

To Dembele/ Coutinho Grezeman Rakitic, old vidal Arthur lmao

How can we win anything when recruitment has been so poor?

When Henry left we got Villa to replace him. When his time came we got Neymar. That's good recruitment not the mess the board has left this squad in

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
People should learn to treat Messigician like a little kid now, a puppy.

Don't throw him a bone, he'll shut up himself, eventually.

Yeah, that's what I meant that he can cover multiple positions. He becomes less of a burden in case we find a long-term LB successor given he's proven he can be very successful as a CB and at times can play as a CDM with varying degree of success.

No, he did not get worse...
It is just that a lot of the treble winners looked worse with coaches like Ancelotti or Kovac whereas they look terrific with Pep, Heynckes and now Flick...

vuji_31

What do you think about him?
He is now playing CB.

It is possibilty that he will go to Barca or Real this or next year

LABarcaFan

Lost his place to as Canadian kid called Davies.

(RB) B.Pavard - (CB) J.Boateng - (CB) d.Alaba - (LB) A.Davis
This is Bayern Munchen defensive line this season.

Alaba has been garbage for years

Wow! You are too hard on him man. Alaba is a versatile player and can play equally well as a left back, central defender or central midfielder.

We could sign him and get rid of Umtiti and alba/firpo, net cost would be nothing. He even covers both positions.

You are absolutely right about Umtiti and Alba. I will include also Pique. The question is ... who is that much stupid to buy these already washed out veterans?

We can not bring in anyone before we get rid of our weak defensive players.

I agree with all you have said. If we buy Alaba, we should use him as a left back or central defender, but not rotating him on both positions.
OK. Till the new election we still have one more year. Lets do this. Try to straighten our defense this summer and leave the offensive needs for 2021. We can have this defense this summer.

SEMEDO - UPAMECANO - ALABA - TELLES.

Thais is like 170 million for all 3 and we can generate this amount by selling some of our players like Rakitic, Umtiti, Vidal, Dembele...

LABarcaFan

Some important facts about David Alaba:

1. His contract ends on 30/06/2021

2. On June 24 he will turn 28.

3. As per Bild, his current release clause is around 70 M. Euro, but that may change if Bayern extend his contract this summer, so they can get more money if he leaves.

4. Bayern coach Hans - Dieter Flick has used Alaba as a central defender due to injuries. Alfonso Davies has been exceptional at left back position for the Bavarian club.

5. If we sign Alaba this summer, next year we have to present him with a new deal ( when he will be 29 ) with a lots of improved numbers and for 4 years at least.

6. Alaba reportedly wants to join Barcelona, but only if they agree to play him in central midfield. Barca may see him as a potential central defender next season.

Home of Barca Fans