1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Neymessi

lol this beats most of the other stupid lists before. I checked many times if it is a list for la liga keepers or something like that because no de gea in top 7.

He is at worst top 3 right now.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
btw De Gea and Courtois contracts ends in 2019, for some reason I doubt that they will renew. next two summers could be big for GKs

I guess what sucks for DDG is that he'll be 29 in 2019. Not everyone can be like Buffon. Most end like Casillas, Bravo, Barthez where their level start dropping once they hit the 30s.

khaled_a_d

I guess what sucks for DDG is that he'll be 29 in 2019. Not everyone can be like Buffon. Most end like Casillas, Bravo, Barthez where their level start dropping once they hit the 30s.

Non of those were taller than 1.85, usually it is those who are 1.9+ that lasts longer. De gea is taller than Buffon so the chances are there.
And btw, while I was writing my post I was thinking to write something about I won't mind getting either of them over MATS, but then I realized they most likely end up in RM or PSG -if they moved- which is a scary thought IMO.

DonAK

Non of those were taller than 1.85, usually it is those who are 1.9+ that lasts longer. De gea is taller than Buffon so the chances are there.
And btw, while I was writing my post I was thinking to write something about I won't mind getting either of them over MATS, but then I realized they most likely end up in RM or PSG -if they moved- which is a scary thought IMO.

I guess there might be a correlation between heigh and sustained success. I think Kahn had a steep decline once he hit 33/34 too and he was about as tall as ter Stegen.

I would not have Courtois over ter Stegen. His footwork is pathetic and he's been on a downward trend for some time now. It could be related to him absolutely hating to be in Chelsea and England, but not worth the risk.

DDG however is another case. It really depends on how MAtS develops though in the next couple of years. If he manages to take some big steps forward then I would stay with him. If he's still at the level he is today and not improving, then it would be enticing.

Not that big of an age difference. 1990 v 1992.

xXKonan

Those seasons at Atletico and so far at Chelsea forged Courtois reputation as one of the best Goal keepers in the world. But he never got the chance to really develop his distribution and overall foot work because in Simeone's system along with Mou's they focused so much on defense that he wasn't required to pass out the back much if not at all and his main job was to pretty much save shots and command his area and that was it.

There's a lot of teams these days wanting more out of their Goal Keepers and CB's and Fullbacks than just pure defensive shifts. they want them to be comfortably strong on the ball as well. Courtois would look so out of place here due to his lack of ability on the ball.

He actually reminds me of Cech, who he was brought in to succeed for. Cech was brilliant at his best but he was awful with the ball at his feet.

DonAK

Save from the corner was fantastic.

In general his positioning and judgement is much better this season.

Home of Barca Fans