1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Latschenkiefer

Or he wouldn't pretend to be prime Xavi and do the simple passes. Also Ter Stegen is massively overrated in other areas and not just his passing ability.

The coaches wouldn't tell Oblak to do it because he is not able to, so he would just hoof it over the pitch. And this would lead to an instant turnover every single time because we don't have any players with pace or the ability to handle high balls up front. The team's only option to get the ball out of our own half is short passes and that's why they instructed Ter Stegen to take these risks. But unfortunately good teams can figure this out easily and keep it tight. Surely he is not good enough for that lost case (no goal keeper is) and the players around him too. In the end besides his fuck ups he was not directly at fault for a single goal yesterday, had at least one great save and even made up for some of his mistakes himself.
I would like to see Oblak without this Atleti trademark 5-4 bus defense plus the hard working CF. And even with it he got trashed in the past. It's way harder for the opponent to get a clear shot on goal but they sacrifice their attacking game for it and most of the times end up without a title. Ter Stegen has to deal with one on ones while Oblak is stat padding on half assed shots and crosses from outside the box. Saving close range shots is mostly luck. But on paper they are the same. Oblak is a great goalkeeper but in contrast to Ter Stegen a total misfit for a possession based system. The question is, who is the best goal keeper for us. And I think, in today's market Ter Stegen is the best we can get if we don't plan to somehow revolutionize the possession game.
This through the middle approach with these midfielders is simply terrible. Setien also has way too much trust in Busquet's abilities. The next coach has to tell Ter Stegen to just chip it further up on the wings to the LB and RB. He was quite good at that in the past. Hopefully we will have faster and way harder working players and especially better wingbacks in the future.
He didn't look good yesterday but he is certainly not our biggest problem. He saved our ass many times this season. The fact that we still played without a RB, with two snail slow CBs (one always gasping for breath after the first sprint), Suarez, two forwards not contributing to the defense at all and a dreadful midfield of Busquets, Roberto and Vidal while Rakitic was warming up in 2020 gave me acid burps and Corona.

raedkuwait

I mean, despite everything he is way better than Victor Valdez. And we had the best team in the world with Valdez in the goals. GK position is the least one we need changes now.

Your either crazy or didnt watch matches when we had valdez,
Go back watch valdez performance in Cl watch the final vs arsenal, we still conceded lots of chances, but Valdez had a beast mode, we would have never won that final or even done good with stegen, Valdez is miles better than stegen in pressure games.

Horatio

You're welcome
Go back watch valdez performance in Cl watch the final vs arsenal, we still conceded lots of chances, but Valdez had a beast mode, we would have never won that final or even done good with stegen, Valdez is miles better than stegen in pressure games.

Again, easier to put in a performance like this when your own team inspires you. I love Valdez, but pretty sure Ter Stegen is at least his level of a keeper.

Xaviniesta

completely agree with you. whenever i watch old barca games/highlights im just amazed at how clutch valdez was. dude was levels above ter stegen in these sort of big games

JohnN

He thought he was a no.10 yesterday.. and his passing was putting us under pressure every second. That's the bad thing and that seems like setiens instruction.

Jay Jay

"Really tough times. Culers, I feel really sorry for what happened yesterday. I?m disappointed. I don?t want to search for excuses - because there are none. We definitely need to change."

-Mats

malvolio

Can't fault the goalkeeping, but his distribution has been atrocious yesterday. Why didn't someone tell him to stop trying Holywood balls?

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Don’t kid yourself, his goalkeeing was crap too. A ter Stegen CL special as it’s called at this point.

Xaviniesta

Don’t kid yourself, his goalkeeing was crap too. A ter Stegen CL special as it’s called at this point.

ter stegen CL special:

oponent takes shot --> ball is in the back of the net

side dishes:
awkwardly catching the ball, gifting rebounds
unnecessary misplaced places
holding onto the ball for too long

Last edited:

kattanib

He didn?t have a any of his crazy saves, maybe one but I cannot remember, and had awful awful ball distribution. The worst game I saw for him at Barca, but that also applies to Busquets and Semedo

Fati_Future_BallonDor

He didn?t have a any of his crazy saves, maybe one but I cannot remember, and had awful awful ball distribution. The worst game I saw for him at Barca, but that also applies to Busquets and Semedo

I cant see Busquets anymore. Every year he shows he is too slow for the big CL matches and still he gets into the starting eleven.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Here's a bright idea. Why don't we stop using the goal keeper as a playmaker and actually pass the ball in midfield.

Can anyone name a goal keeper that has to play the ball as much as him?

olivis

Here's a bright idea. Why don't we stop using the goal keeper as a playmaker and actually pass the ball in midfield.

Can anyone name a goal keeper that has to play the ball as much as him?

Neuer does. I agree with you though, far too much distribution relies on him. You need a special kind of confidence to properly and consistenly make the right passes and decisions as a (sweeper)goalkeeper, and I guess only Neuer is really cocky (and skilled) enough to pull that off.

Lets please have MATS do what he does best, and that are miracle saves.

Home of Barca Fans