Luka Modric

Morten

Shit penalty, though he created it, must be said.
It couldnt have been easy to go up for that 2nd penalty though, wonder what was going through his head.

It seems being good at penalties is more important than anything else this world cup.

El Gato

Villarato!
I still believe Rebic took like 3 extra completely useless steps instead of killing the move when he could have. More than happy to be proven wrong tho.

Shit happens with the miss. Didn't Alonso miss a pen and then scored from open play in some tournament? Plus he recovered his confidence much quicker than the likes of Robben got the chance to a while ago.

dakt

I don't know why is he obliged to take pens in the first place. It's like appointing Iniesta to do the same.

El Flaco

If Croatia ends up top 3, will Modric the regarded as the best Croatian player ever?

Or do you believe Modric has already achieved that status?

RMU ReBorn

I still believe Rebic took like 3 extra completely useless steps instead of killing the move when he could have. More than happy to be proven wrong tho.

Shit happens with the miss. Didn't Alonso miss a pen and then scored from open play in some tournament? Plus he recovered his confidence much quicker than the likes of Robben got the chance to a while ago.

Alonso's kick against Milan was saved by Dudek and he scored from the rebound . His pen against Paraguay in 2010 QF was saved but thanks to Casillas he saved Alonso's reputation by saving the penalty which Paraguay got later .

BBZ8800

I have wrote in World Cup thread, Rebic has nice skills and pace, but he is very, very, very dumb.
Against Argentina, a GK serves him the ball, and 99% of other footballers would receive the ball, stop, look at a goal, dribble and shoot/or shoot.
But he didn't do any of those, he fired the ball right away over a Gk.
It ended awesome.
But on the other hand, what if he missed, and it was a very tricky shot?
It was 0:0, he could have missed a sitter 1 vs 1, and Argentina could have won and maybe Croatia would finished 3rd.
So, it ended well for him, but even when he scored, I yelled at my Tv: Oh boy, you are fucking retarded, lol, wtf was that, haha?

Yesterday, he dribbled past Schmeichel and in one moment, he had a chance to shoot into an empty net.
But he touched the ball one more time (probably wanted to walk in into an empty net) and then a Danish player made a foul and Croatia could have lost on pens after Modric's miss and after Rebic's bade decision not to shoot right away.

If Croatia ends up top 3, will Modric the regarded as the best Croatian player ever?

Or do you believe Modric has already achieved that status?

He probably is the best ever.
But for me, from sentimental reasons, Cam Boban and Cf Suker (45 NT goals in 69 matches) will always be the greatest, unless if Modric will lead this team to something special.
The same as how people who grew up and fell in love with Barca during Pep, will always adore Pep and will overrate his style, tactics and every single thing, the same is for me (and probably some other people in Croatia) with an NT team from 98'.
They were "our Pep" till now and even 4 Cls from Modric (for me) can't knock those guys from a position no1.
Unless if we reach semis now, of course... Then Modric will really be a NO1 ever in all criterias.

Till then:

1) Modric
2) Suker
3 ) ... ??

3) Cam Boban from AC Milan in 90s

Last edited:

Joan

One great match away from winning golden ball . He was excellent yesterday barring that penalty miss

Maybe and maybe not. Imo, he hasn't been the best player of the tournament so far. People all of a sudden overrate Modrić, best ever, better than Xavi, should've won at least one Ballon d'Or... he's a great player nontheless, maybe the best midfielder in the world, but slow down a bit.

Science Kid

I've been a Barca fan since Hristo Stoichkov first came to Barca, and i've never had any sympathy for any Madrid player in any capacity during all this time. If a Madrid player stands to win something, i'll root against him, no questions asked. But i would lie if i said that Modric having the guts to redeem himself and Croatia winning didn't leave me smiling for the rest of the evening.

I enjoy watching this guy play so much, i can't help and cheer him on. That pass to Rebic at that point of the game was unbelievable, too bad Rebic couldn't do the simple thing and shoot the damn ball into the net.

El Gato

Villarato!
Alonso's kick against Milan was saved by Dudek and he scored from the rebound . His pen against Paraguay in 2010 QF was saved but thanks to Casillas he saved Alonso's reputation by saving the penalty which Paraguay got later .

You mean Dida, right?

Yeah, sounds like Spain-Paraguay game that I'm remembering.

RMU ReBorn

Maybe and maybe not. Imo, he hasn't been the best player of the tournament so far. People all of a sudden overrate Modrić, best ever, better than Xavi, should've won at least one Ballon d'Or... he's a great player nontheless, maybe the best midfielder in the world, but slow down a bit.

Apart from Coutinho and Modric no player has been consistent as of yet . You can quote me later if i am wrong, but he is one big match away from winning it . Scored the pen vs Nigeria , Screamer vs Argentina , Was excellent yesterday . Showed nerves to take the pen despite missing one . Basically he and Rakitic has been covering the vulnerability of Croatian defense .

henias

Him and Rakitic are the finest midfielders of the tournament and his goal against Argentina is just the tip of the iceberg. Been running the show consistently for club and country. What's wrong with the Ballon d'or, it's based on yearly performances, and you had to bring up Xavi. :facepalm:

If he wins the world cup, then he deserves it.

Home of Barca Fans