Paul Scholes

Lint

n1no.gif

Shame he was forced out of the national team by inferior players

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Respect.

Pep and Xavi's comments about him weren't praise enough (love Pep saying "if he wants to try a foreign country for a year, we would love to have a player like this.") then having the 3 best players in the World (+Busquets & Pedro, world cup winners) all wanting to swap shirts with you right after they've just won a 2nd CL in 3 years certainly is.

I hope he does retire. he's had a good season, but there are signs he's seriously on the wane and I'd hate for him to have to go out like Gary Neville did. quite clearly a liability on the pitch.

Unbiased United

What a player. Loyal, blessed with an outstanding ability and a throughly nice bloke with it too. Barca players aside (don't want to cause a riot here) he has surely been the best central midfielder to ever grace the game. Sad that his career could be over, but I also think now's the time. Its sad to see him play anything other than his superb best, which I think would be the case if he carries on next season.
The word legend is used too often in football, but as far as sporting hero's go, he certainly is one.

N

Neil1984

Retired this morning. :( Thanks for the memories. Amazing player.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Sad to see such a player retire. He truly has had a glorious career with winning trophies left, right and centre under the guidance of Sir Alex.

Wish him all the best in his future endeavours. Heard he'll be part of ManU's coaching staff next season.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
My favourite ever player bar none. What a wonderful player he was, Started of as a striker, turned into a world class attacking midfielder for more than a decade then turned into a truly mjestic deep lying playmaker.

Thanks for the memories you insanely quiet man!

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
I have never saw anyone, maybe only Pirlo, that plays the long ball across the entire pitch as if it was a 5 foot short pass.

So true, players like Scholes and Pirlo should be appreciated, sadly they arent really.

How Scholes has neve won an Individual Honour I will never know. Same with Pirlo, MOTM in the last 4 matches in Italy's world cup win in 06 and they give the award To Cannavarro?!?

Lint

So true, players like Scholes and Pirlo should be appreciated, sadly they arent really.

How Scholes has neve won an Individual Honour I will never know. Same with Pirlo, MOTM in the last 4 matches in Italy's world cup win in 06 and they give the award To Cannavarro?!?

Because the football media is populated by morons mostly, who think cracking in a 30 yarder is more important an asset than a footballing brain, controlling the tempo and creativity. The latter is something Gerrard and Lampard lack and they were the players whose hype forced Scholes to play on the left wing. Scholes sadly peaked when he was snubbed by England and when players like Keane were in decline, it's a tragedy that he never had a team like the current United or Barca to be a part of, because talent wise I would rate him above Xavi (Barca forum, I know....but even Xavi acknowledges Scholes as a reference and the best midfielder he's ever seen, likewise Zidane) However it's fantastic that a real genius like Xavi is being appreciated fully, because if Xavi was Messi were the same age now I'd take Xavi any day of the week.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans