Is football on decline

• Yes

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
They would not look legendary, because they were not as fit. Also, the played in a time when players were allowed to tackle, and tackle hard. The game stops every minute in La Liga for diving or feigning injuries i.e Busquests as a perfect example.

Did you see United's midfield? No wonder they kept the ball. They have a very ordinary team, and their defense is shocking. Again, when Barca played them last year it was a poor game. They were like Japanese Kamikazes diving into tackles.

So if its so poor just stop watching then

I cant complain i enjoy matches jsut as much if not more as i did years and years ago..

also the diving and cheating has alot to do with pressure now... with TV and the game exploding into popularity in the whole world players do these acts bc they are desperate to win...

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Deline: Meaning level of competition, level of players. Diving, cheating.
Honestly? Again: just watch some CL finals of the nineties ...
And about diving and cheating? You are still stuck watching seria a mainly? B/c esp. in that departement i see definite improvement on top level football i.e. CL and WC/EC. Probably due to the domination of english teams and absence of seria a clubs. I still remember the nineties with italian clubs arguing, diving and generally cheating themselves into the lastest rounds. Im just glad its over. The distinction of esp. Juve and Milan was probably the best thing that could have happened to football ... Thanks Moggi & Co. for fucking it up and virtually killing seria a!

You can't argue that 10 years ago the top 3 leagues in Europe were stronger than they are now.
Stronger? Take a look at the CL/EL quarterfinalists ... 4 english, 3 spanish and 3 german clubs make 10 out of 16 from the top 3 leagues. Seems still strong to me.
Maybe you mean more even. Thats true, at least for La liga and the EPL, but not for the Bundesliga.

You mention overrated stars? The game is full of them today.
Like i mentioned in my previous post: stop watching seria a already

You keep talking about defending, and La Liga and Seria A and even the Premiership is poor in defending.
I keep talking about defending? I just checked my post with a search option: i didnt even use the word 'defence' once ... so im really not sure what kind of hallucination you are currently experiencing ... maybe you should lay off the drugs already ... football looks much better being sober anyway ...

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
I don't think it's a case of drugs, El Tren, More like a combination of being cocky and not being too bright. It's noticeable in other threads as well.

Xavi19

I can't even respond to some of the posts here. If anyone watched the United game, I rest my case. It has been such an awful year in the champions league. Bayern were shocking

It may have been exciting, but it was poor. I really hope we don't sign Ribery, another overrated player. He is, we must stop saying everyone is world class because the media says so. The media say the War in Iraq is to fight terrorism and there was WMD'S.

I don't mean that football is dead, but the level is dropping. Compare the two teams tonight to where they were a year ago: it's incomparable.

Again, ten years ago there was so many top teams in Europe: Barca, Valenica, Madrid, Depor, Roma, Lazio, Milan, Inter, Florentina, Juve, United, Arsenal, Bayern, etc.

Ok, I'll admit that lower teams have become more competitive. Especially international, but still, the level is on the decline. And the world cup is very boring. I think it was Ferguson who said there hasn't beena good world cup since 1982.

Obviously a lot disagree, but I just can't see how people don't feel the same. I feel trepidations about football in Europe. The champions league really has become tedious.

Again, Bayern are an awful team. There defense is very poor. No creativity. I really rate Robben, but he's too injury prone.

Ten years ago, the champions league was at a much more higher standard. At the moment, it is falling precipitously.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
how old have you been 10 yrs ago? 9? just go watch games of the late 90ies again ... maybe you will finally understand ...

Beast

The Observer
Days of domination appear to be over at last
Gaby Marcotti

Conventional wisdom suggests that the gap between rich and poor has increased throughout European football both on the balance sheet and in terms of results. And the numbers bear this out.

From 1989 to 2004 you could be fairly confident that if you could average between 2.06 and 2.10 points per match, you’d win the title. In a 20-team league, that’s roughly between 78 and 80 points a season. That’s the average points per match gained by the champions in Europe’s five biggest leagues: Germany, Italy, England, Spain and France. And while it was heading upwards (it was 2.06 between 1989 and 1994, 2.07 in the five years after that and 2.10 between 1999 and 2004), the changes were remarkably slim.

Then something strange happened. Clubs began winning titles with far more points. Between 2004 and 2009 the average winner of a “big five” league title gained 2.23 points per game: nearly 85 points over a 38-game season.

You can come up with plenty of reasons for this. As the Champions’ League TV pot has grown, those clubs who regularly feature in the game’s biggest club competition benefited disproportionately from those who watch on TV (or have to play in the Europa League). Bigger clubs tend to have bigger and better stadiums as well and, as match-day income has risen (as marketing men figure out new ways of getting money from fans), this, too, has helped brand names. So has globalisation: it’s easier to “sell” Manchester United or Real Madrid in the Far East than it is to peddle Burnley or Málaga.
Related Links

Then there is the distribution of TV income. In Serie A, which traditionally was the most unequal (although that will change starting from 2011-12), the past five winners averaged 2.33 points per match. In France and Germany, where the distribution curve is much flatter, the winners averaged 2.12 and 2.16 respectively. Either way, with teams getting different-sized slices of the TV pie, success tends to breed success, if only because you can keep buying better players than the opposition.

But now something curious is happening. The league leaders — through Friday — have been a lot less dominant than the league winners of years past. Compare the five-year averages of the winners with the points per match of the present table-toppers and you’ll see it holds true in four of the five leading European leagues: Germany (down to 2.07 from 2.16), France (2.00 from 2.12), Italy (2.10 from 2.33) and England (2.22 from 2.38). A club’s points-per- match figure also tends to decline as the season wears on.

The one exception is La Liga, in which the exploits of Real Madrid and Barcelona — 2.54 points per match and level on points on Friday — mark an increase over Spain’s five-year average of 2.18.

Two questions arise. Why are the Continent’s best leagues becoming less lop-sided? And why isn’t this happening in Spain?

Taking the second one first, the explanation may have to do with Barcelona alreadybeing a freakishly good side who spent considerable amounts of money in the summer to get even better. In other words, they are a statistical outlier. Occasionally you’re going to get outstanding teams that blow up your averages. As for Real, they spent nearly £250 million last summer and are evidently reaping the benefits.

But why the drop-off in dominance from most of the Continent’s big guns? Well, it’s always risky to judge based on a single season, but perhaps — if there is a trend — it has to do with Europe’s bigger sides retooling after several years of overspending, particularly with an eye to the new “financial fair play” regulations Uefa is set to introduce. And maybe the smaller clubs are more willing to throw caution to the wind and show less respect to the big boys, many of whom are more used to opponents who defend in numbers.

Either way, it’s undeniable that we’re seeing the kinds of title races many thought would be a thing of the past. Schalke and Bayer Leverkusen — eighth and ninth last season respectively — are challenging Bayern Munich for the Bundesliga crown. As many as six clubs have a realistic chance of winning Le Championnat. Roma, a distant sixth last season, are one point behind Inter Milan in Serie A and AC Milan are closing in as well. The Barclays Premier League remains a three-horse race. And, while Barcelona and Real may be steamrolling everybody else in La Liga, it remains a fascinating race that promises to go to the wire.

So perhaps we ought just to sit back and enjoy it. If the trend has reversed itself, it can only make things more exciting. And, if this season is a blip and normal service resumes with the elites beating up on the cream puffs, at least we’ll be able to look back with fondness.

Guardian

Days of domination appear to be over at last
Gaby Marcotti

Conventional wisdom suggests that the gap between rich and poor has increased throughout European football both on the balance sheet and in terms of results. And the numbers bear this out.

From 1989 to 2004 you could be fairly confident that if you could average between 2.06 and 2.10 points per match, you’d win the title. In a 20-team league, that’s roughly between 78 and 80 points a season. That’s the average points per match gained by the champions in Europe’s five biggest leagues: Germany, Italy, England, Spain and France. And while it was heading upwards (it was 2.06 between 1989 and 1994, 2.07 in the five years after that and 2.10 between 1999 and 2004), the changes were remarkably slim.

Then something strange happened. Clubs began winning titles with far more points. Between 2004 and 2009 the average winner of a “big five” league title gained 2.23 points per game: nearly 85 points over a 38-game season.

You can come up with plenty of reasons for this. As the Champions’ League TV pot has grown, those clubs who regularly feature in the game’s biggest club competition benefited disproportionately from those who watch on TV (or have to play in the Europa League). Bigger clubs tend to have bigger and better stadiums as well and, as match-day income has risen (as marketing men figure out new ways of getting money from fans), this, too, has helped brand names. So has globalisation: it’s easier to “sell” Manchester United or Real Madrid in the Far East than it is to peddle Burnley or Málaga.
Related Links

Then there is the distribution of TV income. In Serie A, which traditionally was the most unequal (although that will change starting from 2011-12), the past five winners averaged 2.33 points per match. In France and Germany, where the distribution curve is much flatter, the winners averaged 2.12 and 2.16 respectively. Either way, with teams getting different-sized slices of the TV pie, success tends to breed success, if only because you can keep buying better players than the opposition.

But now something curious is happening. The league leaders — through Friday — have been a lot less dominant than the league winners of years past. Compare the five-year averages of the winners with the points per match of the present table-toppers and you’ll see it holds true in four of the five leading European leagues: Germany (down to 2.07 from 2.16), France (2.00 from 2.12), Italy (2.10 from 2.33) and England (2.22 from 2.38). A club’s points-per- match figure also tends to decline as the season wears on.

The one exception is La Liga, in which the exploits of Real Madrid and Barcelona — 2.54 points per match and level on points on Friday — mark an increase over Spain’s five-year average of 2.18.

Two questions arise. Why are the Continent’s best leagues becoming less lop-sided? And why isn’t this happening in Spain?

Taking the second one first, the explanation may have to do with Barcelona alreadybeing a freakishly good side who spent considerable amounts of money in the summer to get even better. In other words, they are a statistical outlier. Occasionally you’re going to get outstanding teams that blow up your averages. As for Real, they spent nearly £250 million last summer and are evidently reaping the benefits.

But why the drop-off in dominance from most of the Continent’s big guns? Well, it’s always risky to judge based on a single season, but perhaps — if there is a trend — it has to do with Europe’s bigger sides retooling after several years of overspending, particularly with an eye to the new “financial fair play” regulations Uefa is set to introduce. And maybe the smaller clubs are more willing to throw caution to the wind and show less respect to the big boys, many of whom are more used to opponents who defend in numbers.

Either way, it’s undeniable that we’re seeing the kinds of title races many thought would be a thing of the past. Schalke and Bayer Leverkusen — eighth and ninth last season respectively — are challenging Bayern Munich for the Bundesliga crown. As many as six clubs have a realistic chance of winning Le Championnat. Roma, a distant sixth last season, are one point behind Inter Milan in Serie A and AC Milan are closing in as well. The Barclays Premier League remains a three-horse race. And, while Barcelona and Real may be steamrolling everybody else in La Liga, it remains a fascinating race that promises to go to the wire.

So perhaps we ought just to sit back and enjoy it. If the trend has reversed itself, it can only make things more exciting. And, if this season is a blip and normal service resumes with the elites beating up on the cream puffs, at least we’ll be able to look back with fondness.

It is a very good article.

-Nas-

Maybe football is just reflecting society. The recession has hit alot of things hard, football nowadays is a business. Especially with clubs being in quite a bit of debt right now, they probably can't spend as much as they used to.

I don't know how it is in terms of the rest of Europe (society wise) but here in the UK, spending on various things is being cut right left and centre due to what's happened. maybe football is merely a reflection of what's happening in the wider world.

(Although Barca and Real's cases seem to be in exception to this)

Home of Barca Fans