Mesut Ozil

Alik

How is that not relevant? Catta is saying that he was and still is a world class player.

Based on what is he still a world class player? If he keeps his form until next summer, will he still be a world class player?

Do you consider Luis Suarez a world class player for what he did 2 seasons ago? Are you happy with him? If you aren't, then you're a hypocrite.

Do you consider Ozil still a world class player for his time in Real Madrid? Why not?

Alik

No not between those two. Barca should go for both a midfielder and a striker.

Do you not think Barca need another striker? Or would you stick with Suarez?

I think Suarez will still be here next season. But if not, I think moving Messi to false 9, and getting a LW would work best.

Griezmann is an option if we get rid of Suarez, I just don't think swapping an under-performing striker for another next summer is the best move. There's still time though.

Raketa10

Based on what is he still a world class player? If he keeps his form until next summer, will he still be a world class player?

Do you consider Luis Suarez a world class player for what he did 2 seasons ago? Are you happy with him? If you aren't, then you're a hypocrite.

Do you consider Ozil still a world class player for his time in Real Madrid? Why not?

I am not happy with Suarez right now but I am sure he will regain his form and yes I still consider him a WC player. One bad period can not change my mind. Bare in mind that Suarez is maybe the player who is most negatively affected by Valverde’s system.

Griezmann is 26 years old world class player and he is having a bed period but so is entire ATM team. In comparison Ronaldo has only 1 goal in La Liga this season so is he not a world class player anymore??? According to your theory if you have bad few months you are not a world class anymore. :facepalm:

In the end I never considered Ozil to be a WC player as he was always a definition of a choker to me. Real Madrid really improved when Modric and Kroos took over midfield from Ozil. Not to mention that Ozil left Madrid 4 years ago!

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I think Suarez will still be here next season. But if not, I think moving Messi to false 9, and getting a LW would work best.

Griezmann is an option if we get rid of Suarez, I just don't think swapping an under-performing striker for another next summer is the best move. There's still time though.

Personally dont like Messi at false nine.

It worked with two of the best midfielders ever behind him and even then teams got wiser how to defend.

Need a striker who occupies the CBs and back line.

The Pep possession/Messi false nine days are long gone I think.

Yannik

I don't even see the connection between Arda and Özil. Arda is a terrible player with limited ability, Özil is a good player with fantastic ability, although a bad reputation for some reason. Özil is way above the likes of Arda, Gomes or whatever, people here are acting like the guy is completely past it. He's still the star next to Alexis at Arsenal.. I think that he'd be an improvement to what barca has now. Without question. Wether he's worth the wages is another thing though, but the Alternatives won't be cheap either with the exception of Seri maybe.

xXKonan

Sport claims we are worried about his nightlife and partying like the Arda case and his wages he requested are to high.

But this is Sport whose motto is "Do the Opposite of what MD does" so it's hard at times to take them seriously.

Question17

I don't even see the connection between Arda and Özil. Arda is a terrible player with limited ability, Özil is a good player with fantastic ability, although a bad reputation for some reason. Özil is way above the likes of Arda, Gomes or whatever, people here are acting like the guy is completely past it. He's still the star next to Alexis at Arsenal.. I think that he'd be an improvement to what barca has now. Without question. Wether he's worth the wages is another thing though, but the Alternatives won't be cheap either with the exception of Seri maybe.

Could it be the L word associated with him.

Morten

Øzil is a good player, great at delivering the final ball and such, but he is also a limited player in some ways.
I remember when we sold him back in 2013(?), everyone thought it was a mistake, and that Ronaldo would no longer score as much, but we improved as a team without him and Ronaldo kept on scoring regardless.
Kroos and Modric gave us a control in midfield we didnt have with Øzil.

Porque

We had our chance to sign Ozil in about... 2008... and passed it up.

This isn't going to work out well longterm. But he can be helpful depthwise this season.

Only valid option for me is a 6 months loan for 5-10million to Arsenal with a clause to make permanent in the Summer with another 10m going to Arsenal if we take it up.

Ideally in that scenario he does well for us going for 3 trophee's but then we pass up his option in the summer, going for a longer term target like Coutinho or entrusting Alena.

Messi983

well apparently Arda is going somewhere else , give ozil his wages and get him for 20 mil - > instant upgrade in the mid

This won't work.

Don't know how reliable they are, but according to totalsportek Ozil is currently earning £140,000/week in Arsenal, while Arda's wages are "only" £85,000 weekly. (same source)

Now he apparently wants more than £300k and if that's true then we shouldn't even bother trying to negotiate with him and Arsenal.

If we can really get him for around 20M my maximum offer would be a 2,5 year contract (until 2020) - possibly with an option for another year if he plays let's say 60% of the games for at least 45 or 60 minutes in season 2019-20 (that way we'd know he'll be at least useful squad player if not a starter) - in the range of £170-200k (so similar to Busquets and Iniesta - I don't think he deserves that but whichever big name midfielder we'll buy we'll have to pay him at least that much) with bonuses for individual and team achievements like other players have (don't know exact numbers). Take it or leave it.

Raketa10

This won't work.

Don't know how reliable they are, but according to totalsportek Ozil is currently earning £140,000/week in Arsenal, while Arda's wages are "only" £85,000 weekly. (same source)

Now he apparently wants more than £300k and if that's true then we shouldn't even bother trying to negotiate with him and Arsenal.

If we can really get him for around 20M my maximum offer would be a 2,5 year contract (until 2020) - possibly with an option for another year if he plays let's say 60% of the games for at least 45 or 60 minutes in season 2019-20 (that way we'd know he'll be at least useful squad player if not a starter) - in the range of £170-200k (so similar to Busquets and Iniesta - I don't think he deserves that but whichever big name midfielder we'll buy we'll have to pay him at least that much) with bonuses for individual and team achievements like other players have (don't know exact numbers). Take it or leave it.

I would never give him 170-200k. This dude is well past his prime and even in his prime he wasn’t that good. Fuck him, there are other younger players on the market with bigger potential and better work ethics. We don’t need another Arda case.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

This won't work.

Sportek quotes net salaries and Ozil's 300k is gross. Net would put him on 144k.

Zincubus

Banned
Øzil is a good player, great at delivering the final ball and such, but he is also a limited player in some ways.
I remember when we sold him back in 2013(?), everyone thought it was a mistake, and that Ronaldo would no longer score as much, but we improved as a team without him and Ronaldo kept on scoring regardless.
Kroos and Modric gave us a control in midfield we didnt have with Øzil.

So it took Kroos and Modric to replace Ozil's creativity ?

Home of Barca Fans