Thiago Alcantara

Joan

If we were looking for a defensively solid player who can keep position and recycle possession, we would be good enough trusting Rakitić and saving 50 or 70 m. We need someone to break the lines from deep, to organise our offensive game, play through balls and create dager.

Those are the stats we should be looking at. He's solid defensively, great, one condition met, let's focus on what matters the most.

I do think Thiago would help us, but he won't be the magic savior.

YodaMaster

If he is playing higher up the park and pressing earlier would almost expect that.

Not comparing players in like positions.

Would prefer Thiago to Rakitic but unfair comparison there.

And that's not true btw. Atletico's Gabi is playing in a super defensive team, he has same stats as Thiago, clearly better than Raki's. Ander Herrera's has better stats than Raki. Even Fabregas has slightly better stats. All these players are playing in defensive teams.

JamDav1982

And that's not true btw. Atletico's Gabi is playing in a super defensive team, he has same stats as Thiago, clearly better than Raki's. Ander Herrera's has better stats than Raki. Even Fabregas has slightly better stats. All these players are playing in defensive teams.

No Gabi is more of a plugging the gaps player to leave no space.

Not someone who will press like Thiago in a team on front foot for most part.

You dont understand the roles if think all those players are like for like.

The fact Fabregas has better stats virtually kills your stat based argument to compare them all.

YodaMaster

No Gabi is more of a plugging the gaps player to leave no space.

Not someone who will press like Thiago in a team on front foot for most part.

You dont understand the roles if think all those players are like for like.

The fact Fabregas has better stats virtually kills your stat based argument to compare them all.

Dude seriously ? I'm not comparing these players with Thiago. I was comparing Gabi's and Raki's defensive contribution after you said Thiago has good stats cause he's pressing earlier. I went and looked at players who don't press early to compare with the Croatian.
Fabregas has similar stats to Rakitic (better at tackling, less good at interceptions). My point was to prove to BBZ that if you replace Raki with Thiago, you don't lose defensive contribution. I think I did just that since Rakitic's defensive stats are average and there are plenty of players (playing in offensive AND defensive teams) with better defensive stats. And as I said: let's forget about statistics, when you watch Thiago play for 90 mins and when you watch Rakitic play 90 mins, you can clearly see that in no way Rakitic is a better at defending !

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Dude seriously ? I'm not comparing these players with Thiago. I was comparing Gabi's and Raki's defensive contribution after you said Thiago has good stats cause he's pressing earlier.
Fabregas has similar stats to Rakitic (better at tackling, less good at interceptions). My point was to prove to BBZ that if you replace Raki with Thiago, you don't lose defensive contribution. I think I did just that since Rakitic's defensive stats are average and there are plenty of players (playing in offensive AND defensive teams) with better defensive stats. And I even said let's forget about statistics, when you watch Thiago play for 90 mins and when you watch Rakitic play 90 mins, you can clearly see that in no way Rakitic is a better at defending !

My point is you are comparing two player in different systems with different roles and doing it with Gabi and Thiago is doing that again.

The fact Fabregas has better stats says it all.

There are plenty of midfielders going about with similar stats to Thiago that are not great defensively. You are reading far too much into it.

M

MessiCam

To prove what?

Thiago is not a DM and he presses early he will have some better tackling stats but also leave more gaps.

He is not some brilliant defensive pivot player.
His defensive contribution when playing in that position and to show you that in that game at least he played deep in between the CB’s. There was no early pressing etc etc.

But let’s go your route and compare them in more CM roles as Rakitic played in previous seasons and it’s still not close. Rakitic is a bum.

Your continued attempts to downplay Thiago’s contribution is silly. Even as a young player for Barça he showed promise defensively.

YodaMaster

My point is you are comparing two player in different systems with different roles and doing it with Gabi and Thiago is doing that again.

I'm not comparing these players with Thiago. I was comparing Gabi's and Raki's defensive contribution after you said Thiago has good stats cause he's pressing earlier. I went and looked at players who don't press early to compare with the Croatian.

The fact Fabregas has better stats says it all.

Fabregas has similar stats to Rakitic (better at tackling, less good at interceptions).

You have some reading problems. Not my fault so I won't repeat myself any longer.

There are plenty of midfielders going about with similar stats to Thiago that are not great defensively. You are reading far too much into it.

Ok maybe. Could you give us the names of those players please ?

JamDav1982

You have some reading problems. Not my fault so I won't repeat myself any longer.

Ok maybe. Could you give us the names of those players please ?

Pretty much pick and choose when to apply the stats ans stats that show Fabregas 'better defensively' than Rakitic say it all.

YodaMaster

"Midfielders going about with similar stats to Thiago that are not great defensively" as there are plenty of them apparently...

JamDav1982

"Midfielders going about with similar stats to Thiago that are not great defensively" as there are plenty of them apparently...

Aye go look as I said.

You seem to think stats show Fabregas been better defensively than Raki so look in same place.

Do you rate say.... Parejo as better defensive player than Raki and up there with Thiago?

Joan

Probably been posted before, but if I'm not mistaken, he missed 112 games for Bayern while appearing in 152. Wow, didn't know it was that huge.

Home of Barca Fans