20 - Sergi Roberto

Devils

Valverde: “The idea is to play Sergio Roberto in the midfield this season, and use Semedo & Wague as Right-backs.”

[tw]1153655609134211075?s=21[/tw]

Pretty much confirmed what MD reported a few weeks back.

I don't see how that's feasible, especially with Rakitic still here.

-

Glad for Wague & Semedo though.

Unless that means Rakitic's career at Barca is finished. :valverde2:

wisconsincule

so our midfield options are: FDJ, Arthur, Busi, Rakitic, Vidal, Alena, Roberto

Our squad is overbloated imo.

Agree. 2 of those players need to leave. I’d sell Rakitic and loan Alena. Bob prolly doesn’t have what it takes to be a Barca midfielder either but he’s not going anywhere.

I would phase Busi out as well but we all know that won’t happen this season.

MTL_Barca

so our midfield options are: FDJ, Arthur, Busi, Rakitic, Vidal, Alena, Roberto

Our squad is overbloated imo.

Looks perfect for a 4-4-2 :valverde2:

With Roberto moving to CM Rakitic has to leave, otherwise it's too much. Could still be rough for Alena to get minutes though.

soul24rage

Looks perfect for a 4-4-2 :valverde2:

With Roberto moving to CM Rakitic has to leave, otherwise it's too much. Could still be rough for Alena to get minutes though.

Whether Rakitic stays or goes, I think Alena has to leave on either loan or sold with a buyback clause this season.

For me, I can't see Alena getting significant minutes to develop especially with Bob coming in as CM.

xXKonan

If you go back when Abidal was appointed and up until now, he's clearly not a fan of Roberto being at RB and signed the likes of Wague and that Emerson deal as well.

But while Abidal may not like Roberto at RB, it's not really down to him it's Valverde's choice. But clearly, his plan seems to be working as Valverde seems to like Wague quite a bit and those statements after the game seems to be heading that direction.

It remains to be seen if Wague can prove to be a worthy RB for the first team however.

tacticvarium

It seems Valverde is already told that the club wants to sell Rakitic this summer if they get a decent offer. I think Valverde is considering turning Roberto into Rakitic 2.0.

MTL_Barca

I think Valverde is considering turning Roberto into Rakitic 2.0.

Imagine Barca sells Rakitic but then Valverde just starts Sergi-Busi every single game making them the new Raki-Busi and benches Arthur, the meltdown here would be hilarious :lol:

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

The conclusion I came to in regards to him wasn't based off of nothing.

Here is my analysis of him the CL 'humiliations' we've had over the past 3 years:

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/13928-Jasper-Cillessen?p=2078157&viewfull=1#post2078157

Based on my analysis, I concluded that 50% of the goals that MAtS conceded would have been stopped by an elite shot stopper.

For me in the CL he's been poor-mediocre over the past 3 years. Certainly not elite and nowhere near the world's best.

Let's also not pretend like his form in Liga and CDR invalidate these performances. Suarez scores a bunch in Liga and CDR but is absolute trash in the CL and that disqualifies him from being considered one of the best strikers in the word. MAtS must be judged in the same standard.

Imagine Barca sells Rakitic but then Valverde just starts Sergi-Busi every single game making them the new Raki-Busi and benches Arthur, the meltdown here would be hilarious :lol:

And it would have the side effect of folks (who have an ounce of introspection) saying I guess rakitic was better than I thought, maybe even that they actually miss him. More Bob playing in the central midfield and having to make many complex decisions is bad for him, and the club. His best spot is RB, his next best spot has his in the spaces more typical of a right winger or right wingback.

EdmondDantes

"¿Más minutos en el centro del campo? Soy ambicioso, lo que quiero es jugar, si no, no será una buena noticia "

"Será una buena noticia si juego, si no, no será tan buena noticia.Yo quiero jugar y sentirme importante en este equipo y ayudarlo"

More minutes in midfield? I'm ambitious, what I want is to play. It [playing in midfield] will be good news if I play, if not, then no, it won't.

I want to play, feel important and help the team.

-

Sergi basically wants to be a starter in midfield now that Valverde made clear Semedo is his starting right-back.

Ambitious indeed.

Last edited:

Zidane82

"¿Más minutos en el centro del campo? Soy ambicioso, lo que quiero es jugar, si no, no será una buena noticia "

"Será una buena noticia si juego, si no, no será tan buena noticia.Yo quiero jugar y sentirme importante en este equipo y ayudarlo"

More minutes in midfield? I'm ambitious, what I want is to play. It [playing in midfield] will be good news if I play, if not, then no, it won't.

I want to play, feel important and help the team.

-

Sergi basically wants to be a starter in midfield now that Valverde made clear Semedo is his starting right-back.

Ambitious indeed.

After today’s miserable performance in midfield ( he was made captain !) I don’t think he will be ‘starting’ too many games in midfield.

After a nice darting run he was very poor .
I lost count of the balls that went astray ..
Near the end or was him on the centre spot who carelessly gave the ball away allowing them to break on us and getting a shot on goal .
My lasting memory of that move was the shot of him stopping in his tracks and putting both hands over his face in frustration whilst the others RAN back into defence !!

Home of Barca Fans