Ernesto Valverde: An Analysis of his tenure

khaled_a_d

Roura and Setien were worse. But he's certainly in the bottom half of the pack.

Rijkaard, Pep,Tito, Tata,Lucho,EV,Setien. Koeman isn't yet ranked. There is also Roura,who you count,so 8 in total.
He is surely worse than Pep,Rijkaard & Lucho.
He is also clearly ahead of Setien & Roura.
Debatable between him, Tito & Tata.
I rate him higher than those two, which puts him in upper half.
Some will rate him below so he will be bottom half.
So, nothing certain about it

khaled_a_d

Not when the dressing room is at the core of most problems. The dressing room became toxic because the players were given too much power from the board.

EVen if board gave them too much power, doing something that is regularly done doesn't prove that, at all.

Katarina1

Banned
Lucho's mental strength had a lot to do with us absolutely destroying Europe in 2015. :lol:

If you think EV compares to him, even BBZ will call you deluded.

yet his "mental strength" only lasted while he had Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Busquets, Alves, and Iniesta all close to their peak level.

Last edited:

Birdy

You rate Valverde higher than Tito, who made the team play fantastic football before becoming really sick and breaking records?
How?
Because of CL when he was sick and not present?

Tata also wanted to do sth different, sth closer to what Lucho did one year later, but they did not let him.
It was the first time that players got too much power, influencing how the team should play.
Tata and Setien cannot be rated at all IMO, because they were not let do at all what they wanted to do.

El Gato

Villarato!
Rijkaard, Pep,Tito, Tata,Lucho,EV,Setien. Koeman isn't yet ranked. There is also Roura,who you count,so 8 in total.
He is surely worse than Pep,Rijkaard & Lucho.
He is also clearly ahead of Setien & Roura.
I rate him higher than those two, which puts him in upper half.
Some will rate him below so he will be bottom half.
So, nothing certain about it

Hmm yes, maybe you're right here
Not much tangible on the recall right now, but I always thought Tata was better than being given credit for and he himself was harsh with self-assessment

Tito was a bit on auto-pilot most of the year. Could be argued that's what the team needed TBH

George_Costanza

goddammit 12 pages for this below average coach! Next we will have his cult discussing Valverde's football "philosophy" like he is the next Cruyff or Marcelo Bielsa to influence football the next 50 years. :lol:

BarcaOG

Banned
Roura and Setien were worse. But he's certainly in the bottom half of the pack.

Roura...I'm not so sure. We didn't win anything with him and lost that clasico Copa, but honestly, i'd basically forgotten about that. i will never forget the CL humiliations that Valverde oversaw, and no cule who holds our club to high standards should, either.

setien has a truncated (due to covid) 6 or so months with a squad that Valverde built and on which EV had instilled a CL losers mentality after years of unpunished failure. Valverde escaped the Bayern humiliation out of luck. Does anyone here actually think he would have done any better?

Valverde also had us playing the most god awful anti-barca football ive seen since following barcelona seriously in 2009 (im fairly young). EV did win trophies at least but that was because of messi and despite his terrible managerial ability. i give him no credit whatsoevever

El Gato

Villarato!
goddammit 12 pages for this below average coach! Next we will have his cult discussing Valverde's football "philosophy" like he is the next Cruyff or Marcelo Bielsa to influence football the next 50 years. :lol:

It wouldn't be nearly as much a problem if some of you guys didn't swallow Messigicians bait hook line and sinker every time in whichever thread he posts. Just whack him on ignore list and whoever cites him.

@BarcaOG
Setien was garbage on every level. Only dogmatists were gullible enough to think it was going to end any different. He had zero credibility going into the job. The former at least had stabilised things after the meltdowns, even if he fell on his own sword of fostering nepotism and trying to milk a dying cow.

Last edited:

Messigician

It wouldn't be nearly as much a problem if some of you guys didn't swallow Messigicians bait hook line and sinker every time in whichever thread he posts. Just whack him on ignore list and whoever cites him.

@BarcaOG
Setien was garbage on every level. Only dogmatists were gullible enough to think it was going to end any different. He had zero credibility going into the job. The former at least had stabilised things after the meltdowns, even if he fell on his own sword of fostering nepotism and trying to milk a dying cow.

Lmfao coming from you. Since day 1 I noted you were the lowest IQ poster. Morgan has 10x the brainpower that you have

Home of Barca Fans