Martin Braithwaite

Devils

They've been putting 300m+ buyouts on every single first team player signed to the club since the Neymar transfer no? I assume it's become policy to do so.

If he's a total flop we can sell him in the summer and hopefully to some lower midtable or mitdable club recoup 10-15m for him and the buyout wont effect that.

If he turns out to be a good squad player and wants to leave in a season or two maybe we can make a profit off of him as he will still be 29-30 years old.

behindbrowneyes

How do you know this? Any souce for this bit?

Sport reported it some days ago. Club had a deal in place with Angel but Setién felt we need a more versatile player.

Sport:
Barcelona had a deal in place with Getafe to sign striker Angel Rodriguez for an initial €6 million with €2m more due in potential add-ons.

The club reached an agreement with Angel over the weekend and he didn't overly celebrate his goal at Camp Nou as Barça beat Getafe 2-1 on Saturday.

But things have changed since then due to the Catalan club's interest in Leganes' Martin Braithwaite. A number of reasons have seen Barça switch targets, the main reason being coach Quique Setien's insistence on signing the Dane.

Setien feels Braithwaite is more versatile and will be more useful in the run in as Barça compete with Real Madrid for the La Liga title.

Angel is more of a No.9 and, now 32, it was unlikely Setien would have been able to use him wide. That was the main reason the coach pushed for the Leganes forward, who has an €18m release clause.

Another reason is that Angel's age would make it difficult for Barça to see any return on their investment.
edit: https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/...afes-angel-worth-an-initial-6-million-7853091

I understand Setién. We had 3 players for 3 positions (one of them a teenager) and he had only one player to sign to give all of them rest. Smart choice from the coaches perspective. Doesn't make sense to sign a player the coach doesn't want. Seen with Malcom under Valverde. Not that Setién is that stubborn, but still...

Last edited:

behindbrowneyes

Thanks, I didn't like Angel at all myself. So this is slightly better. We need all the help we can get, but 18m. is a little steep.

Of course, but this happens when you think you can save money in the wrong place. Club had to pay a high price for this mistake.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I wish him the best and I like and respect players who work hard regardless of their output but this is an idiotic deal from every angle.

El Gato

Villarato!
The amount is unnecessary and turns it into joke material.

Lmao who fucking cares what it is. Although that's probably rhetorical, Barca fans do. No idea what it says about the player or the board. The only thing that's wrong is the timing.

malvolio

Paulinho was pretty good, not wank.

I remember that Chelsea away match when he couldn't complete even the easiest of passes. The man was a train wreck. Luckily he scored some goals and we sold at the right time otherwise he would have been in KPB league

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Leganes' SD, Martín Ortega: "Barca have acted in correct manner. They contacted us Monday, and only option was to pay clause. We cannot hold it against them as they used the rules which currently exist. But we don't think rules are fair."

clemente

Nobody called board dumb when Alba was the only LB we had the whole season, now they took the risk again hoping no forwards will get injured but they did, so now suddenly it's "I can't believe they sold Perez". If Suarez and Dembele didn't get injured, then apparently the board didn't do a mistake lol

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Embarrassing, our very own Julien Faubert...

And to think the board said we wouldn't sing another Boateng ever again...

Home of Barca Fans