Matheus Fernandes

xXKonan

Dude has had some pretty bad luck since coming to Europe.

1. Spend weeks training in order to try and be fit enough to be in contention to make the match squad.

2. Even if he had gotten fit enough, he couldn't play due to some issues with paperwork which to be fair is expected for someone like him being from Brazil. It took 3 months for Araujo to finally get approved to play for the B team due to the same issue.

3. COVID comes and puts everything on standstill.

4 He ends up getting COVID himself, suffering further setbacks.

Messi983

TBH If we sell both Vidal and Raki and he'll have a good preseason I wouldn't mind getting him back next season. Yeah, he's unknown and hasn't played a lot for two years but if we won't have money to buy a starting quality midfielder I'd prefer to see what we have in Matheus than bring an older player like Pjanić. He could be a good rotation player for both Busi as a DM and FDJ who I believe will still mostly play as a CM.

FDJ/Matheus - Busi/FDJ/Matheus - Arthur/Alena (Pedri/Puig)

Not exactly great and not much depth but give younger players a chance to show what they can do.

khaled_a_d

TBH If we sell both Vidal and Raki and he'll have a good preseason

You have to factor that preseason will most likely be cut short by all leagues. This will limit the time and chance for young players significantly. It will be more about getting older players rather than making experiments and trying young players.

Messi983

You have to factor that preseason will most likely be cut short by all leagues. This will limit the time and chance for young players significantly. It will be more about getting older players rather than making experiments and trying young players.

True. On the other hand you also have to consider we only have two midfielders who are 100% to be here beyond 2021 in FDJ and Busi. Vidal will leave this year, Raki might stay but he'll be gone next year when his contract is up. I believe Arthur will stay for now but if the club will have more doubts about his fitness/off-the field problems then we could consider selling him next year. We'll probably make a swap deal for someone like Pjanić but he won't be a longterm answer either and next year we could bring another midfielder but there will still be one or two open spots in midfield and we have some good talents who (if nothing more) should be good and cheap enough to be 5th/6h choice but hopefully can develop into something more.

I'd bring back Alena unless we get a really good offer (15m+) which we'll have a hard time to reject in these times when we're desperate for money but I don't think any club really values him that much. I don't think he has a future at the club but loaning him out again doesn't make much sense so give him next season as a cheap squad player. Puiq should go on loan and prove he can play a top division football but he doesn't want to go so keep him in Barca B and give him minutes in Copa and maybe some easier home games. I think Collado is more talented than both of them and he can also play as a RW if needed. Versatility is always good (just ask Roberto) for young fringe players to get playing time so he could stay as well. Monchu (he has apparently several offers from EPL and we might decide to sell him with BBO) and Reis are other interesting Barca B players who I could see maybe getting first team minutes next year if they'll stay. I wouldn't put too much pressure on Ilaix for now and let him fully establish himself at Barca B first but next summer he could be in the mix as well. Then we also have Pedri who for me is our by far most talented young midfielder and as such could be competing for first team minutes but at his age I believe is the best for his development to get a full season of La Liga experience in another club.

So all things considered even with a shorter preseason I think Setien will have a good look at those players and then (together with the club) will make a decision what it's the best for them. There are still way too many unknowns at this moment to project anything but I think at least one if not two of the players mentioned above could be a part of the first team next season.

E: I forgot about Jandro Orellana who I like as well but he's a DM so not exactly much chances for him to make it with Busi and FDJ around.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Just had a golden opportunity to score, should have buried that. His workrate and movement look good though. Has no problem making runs into the box.

Home of Barca Fans