8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

Havesaks

Another game where he is to scared to make a shot, its embarrassing, and shouldnt be something you see in pro football. Maybe his shooting is embarrassing bad and its actually the right choice not to shoot, but then he needs to do some serious shooting training.

Andresito

Staff member
Kid comes from Segunda and plays this season as a 17/18 year old.

Of course there are flaws. Him being reluctant to shoot is a luxurious flaw to have, because it's easily fixed.

BusiTheKing

He's a bit too modest for me. Like he sometimes carry reservations about commiting to the opportunity as it opens up.

"Moderate" or "sensible" attacking won't get you far in modern football. If you think twice, the chance is already over.

You can move it around with very clever and sensible passing and moderate pressure for 90 minutes and end up with zero penetration. Against solid defenses, in order to get above that threshold where actual danger emerges, you need something a little radical, a little silly or outrageous.

It's probably normal considering he's 18. Just sharing my thoughts as to why we lack penetration in general.

mc_lovin

He's a bit too modest for me. Like he sometimes carry reservations about commiting to the opportunity as it opens up.

"Moderate" or "sensible" attacking won't get you far in modern football. If you think twice, the chance is already over.

You can move it around with very clever and sensible passing and moderate pressure for 90 minutes and end up with zero penetration. Against solid defenses, in order to get above that threshold where actual danger emerges, you need something a little radical, a little silly or outrageous.

It's probably normal considering he's 18. Just sharing my thoughts as to why we lack penetration in general.

Modern football? What is this supposed to mean? Iniesta had the same "defect" - aka literally never taking a shot (or rarely).. he wouldnt work in todays football? On what basis? Kind of like some here said our philosophy is outdated (BBZ "cough"), because Alena, Denis and co. arent worldclass footballers. Like they would have dominated from 2008 onwards. Pedri runs absurdly much and is class on the ball. I would take that over goal scoring any day of the week.

If he naturally bulks up a bit, as you mentioned, (hopefully, as hes just 18) he should have a better physique for shooting though. Hes not a "lost" cause like Frenkie in that regard, who doesnt look to have the body for longe range shots.

BusiTheKing

Modern football? What is this supposed to mean? Iniesta had the same "defect" - aka literally never taking a shot (or rarely).. he wouldnt work in todays football? On what basis? Kind of like some here said our philosophy is outdated (BBZ "cough"), because Alena, Denis and co. arent worldclass footballers. Like they would have dominated from 2008 onwards. Pedri runs absurdly much and is class on the ball. I would take that over goal scoring any day of the week.

If he naturally bulks up a bit, as you mentioned, (hopefully, as hes just 18) he should have a better physique for shooting though. Hes not a "lost" cause like Frenkie in that regard, who doesnt look to have the body for longe range shots.

'Modern football' is a reference to the generally heightened level of coherence and tactical discipline of defences. Against an ordinary opponent, 10 years ago, you had time and space that you won't find now. 20 years ago was a different game altogether.

When Laudrup or Zidane waltzed around and did genius things, it was enough to be clever or gifted because the opportunities were there for those who saw them. Nowadays it's different. The margins are much finer. Without intensity and sharpness of timing, you're lost. And it's only going to continue in that same direction.

And Iniesta and Pedri are very different players. Iniesta in his younger days was definitely more aggresive than Pedri is now. If we needed a goal and he saw a good space, he went after it and didn't look back.

behindbrowneyes

Kid ran 8,2km after 61 minutes. He gives so much to the team by covering ground und running into spaces that I can't really blame him for not being a shooter at the age of 18. He has time to develop this part of his game. Let's not forget that Iniesta wasn't a shooter either. People are just too obsessed with numbers these days. If you check Iniesta's career stats you wouldn't think that he was one of the greatest midfielders of all time.
Iniesta in early days:
02/03: 9 games - 0 goals - 1 assist
03/04: 17 games - 2 goals - 4 assists
04/05: 46 games - 2 goals - 5 assists
05/06: 49 games - 1 goal - 6 assists

FinBarcelonafan

Kid ran 8,2km after 61 minutes. He gives so much to the team by covering ground und running into spaces that I can't really blame him for not being a shooter at the age of 18. He has time to develop this part of his game. Let's not forget that Iniesta wasn't a shooter either. People are just too obsessed with numbers these days. If you check Iniesta's career stats you wouldn't think that he was one of the greatest midfielders of all time.
Iniesta in early days:

Iniesta scored when it mattered.

Skalman

As you really dont rate Pedri, what other 18 year old would you rather have than him? (in the same position) In world football today?

vegitot

Iniesta in early days:

True. Pedri already has 3 goals and 4 assists in all comp this season. He may surprass young Iniesta's number.

Messi983

Kid ran 8,2km after 61 minutes. He gives so much to the team by covering ground und running into spaces that I can't really blame him for not being a shooter at the age of 18. He has time to develop this part of his game.

Unreal.

I just hope we won't overplay him.

Messi983

Iniesta scored when it mattered.

Sure.

But Iniesta is also a proof that a midfielder doesn't need to score shitloads of goals every season to be considered a world class player.

That said, I believe Pedri can and will also add even more end product (goals and assists) to his game.

Bobo32

This player is technically gifted, ambitious, and sometimes does come up with brilliant solutions.

I think he is often in the wrong place positionally, get's caught in tight situations, forced to play backwards, turns the wrong way and play alibi passes etc.

I have a hard time judging his potential, but think he should be played as one of the wingers in a 4-3-3 rather than as a midfielder.

Home of Barca Fans