14 - Javier Mascherano

FCBfan22

Ugh, forgot about the yellow card situation. Vermaelen is not that bad and he is fit imo.

He isn't that bad, but I don't want him to play in possibly the most important match in La Liga this year. A must draw/win match against very inspired Valencia side at Mestalla.

FCBfan22

Also Umtiti needs to pick a yellow in the Valencia match. He needs to clear his cards and the Celta game at Camp Nou is the only one where he wouldn't be terribly missed with Masche out. We usually hammer them at home. Away is a different story.

But yeah, with Pique doing stupid things sometimes (easily gets a yellow or a stupid red), Vermaelen being the most injury prone player in the world and Masche out for a month I can officially say that we are fucked.

Worst case scenario:

Umtiti and Pique get booked against Leganes. Vermaelen gets injured against Valencia. We play Paulinho/Busquets centre back partnership for the most of the Valencia match.

BarçaBarça

Very tough time to miss him - normally it wouldn't hurt us this much.
I feel like it is hard to plan when Umtiti or Pique should take the yellow card - but I think they will be able to avoid getting them at the same time..

God Serena

Looks like a scenario where we might have no choice but to use a CB from the B team, except our B team CBs are looking pretty... awful.

xXKonan

The only one I would trust right now out of the CB's in Barca B that are fit is David Costas and that's it.

Martinez would be a disaster and not only that if he plays even one game for the first team he will not be eligible for the B team any more due to his age.

Fali is not a real CB and would struggle playing for the first team in that position.

Cuenca and Bueno are talented but are way to young right now to be put in that position.

Costas has been decent for the B team but not exactly spectacular but right now he would be the most reliable option if we need to take a risk on someone. Tarin is currently out injured right now so that rules him out as well.

FCBfan22

It's just a dreadful thought that we could potentially need to play Pique (who's form has been on and off this year) and Vermaelen (who has played fuck all this season) against Valencia at Mestalla, who not so long ago annihilated Sevilla. And that is even not the worst case scenario.

Umtiti must NOT pick up a yellow in the Leganes game. Period.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
And he is still class as ever. If most signings we made and will make turn out as great as his and players show such heart and dedication, we'd be golden.

PhilS

What a class act! It is not surprising he does not want to be #3 CB, after all these years playing such heavy minutes. And he might not want to get embarrassed on the field at this level, due to his decreasing speed. I hope he comes to the U.S. to finish out his career.

One of the very best Barca acquisitions in recent years. I still can't believe that he was able to come in and play CB so well at the very highest level of competition, at his size, and with no prior experience at the position.

xXKonan

MD says Mascherano wanted to leave in the January window but those plans might be put on hold due to Umtiti's injury.

they also say Yerry is the alternative if Masche leaves in the winter.

Home of Barca Fans