Ernesto Valverde

shadows

We didn't look promising either. Atletico, on the other hand, did quite well right?

Considering how shit we have been under Valverde, how does playing Rakitic and Busquets for the umpteenth time and without Messi make it all of a sudden promising to watch.. Expecting more of this in Liga if Valverde continues starting the same 2 in midfield

Andrew M

We didn't look promising either. Atletico, on the other hand, did quite well right?

No we didn't, but we have the track record and Messi. Real were truly awful at times and have many unknowns whereas we can grind out wins.

I think it makes sense that we are favourites despite uninspiring performances

serghei

Messi is the main reason why we started as favorites almost every league campaign in the last decade. The amount of chances he creates weekly for himself to score, and for others is incredible.

Messi's main flaws are workrate and intensity. In league campaigns these are on the lower end for all teams involved, because you just can't attack a 38 game competition running like a mad man each week playing every game like a CL final. It is not feasible. So, the intensity levels in a league format are lower than in knockout competitions, where there is a more sense of urgency. In these conditions a player like Messi makes the difference time and time again simply because of his superior talent, skills and in game intelligence.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
I think even without Messi people would put Barca as favourites to win La Liga. We have an incredible squad.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think even without Messi people would put Barca as favourites to win La Liga. We have an incredible squad.

Well, we're not winning a lot of games the last couple of seasons without Messi. If you had a good manager then sure.

JohnN

Comic Relief Post

Judging by the Valverde pecking order which is clearly in accordance with the salary order, we should expect the following lineup for the next season:

-------------Ter Stegen-------------
-------------------------------------
--Semedo---Pique-----Umtiti*---Alba--
--------------Busquets---------------
-------Rakitic---------FDJ-----------
---Messi-----------------Griezmann---
---------------Suarez----------------

* Perhaps Lenglet will claim his position again, if Umtiti continues his bad form or gets injured again (high probability).

Judging by the Valverde substitution history, we should expect the following:

67th minute standard sub:
-------- Coutinho for Busquets: If we are chasing a goal. (most common first sub if Coutinho stays. Also we will be chasing a goal most of the times) (see note #3)
-------- Vidal or Arthur for Busquets: If keeping the score is what we aim for. Player selection will depend on the opponent characteristics.

75th minute standard sub:
-------- Dembele for Griezmann: Dembele is expensive. Must play (see note #3).

85th minute standard sub: This one is just the 3rd sub, no impact whatsoever, so just give someone minutes and "rest" someone else.
-------- Possible subs in order of probability: Sergi Roberto, Alena, Firpo, all others.

Valverde's notes to self:

Code:
1.Players that always start and are never substituted out:
Messi
Suarez
Rakitic
Alba
Ter Stegen
[SIZE=1][I]Sub note:
Busquets didn't make the list this year. #gutted[/I][/SIZE]

Code:
2.New signings with high transfer fee and high salaries that people want to see. They have to start:
Griezmann
FDJ

Code:
3.Players with insane transfer fee and salary that we couldn't get rid of. Need to be subbed on every game:
Coutinho
Dembele [I](will get injured at some point)[/I]

Code:
4.Player that needs to be subbed on or start some games, or he will call me out:
Vidal

Code:
5.Player that should get minutes because he is Catalan and a La-Masia Graduate. He was also important in the 6-1 against PSG.
Sergi Roberto
[SIZE=1][I]Sub note:
I said he wouldn't play right back anymore, but i have no dignity whatsoever and semedo is not so good in attack. So perhaps he could start RB later on, during the season.[/I][/SIZE]

Cant believe he is still here, after the defeats against Liverpool and Valencia 99% of the top club presidents would fire their coach :angry:

wisconsincule

Our squad is so fucking insane that our reserves would fight for top 4. Valverde has a lot to do this season. I hope to see a lot of experimentation in the early phases of the season even if that means dropping points.

Donatello

Lampard on Luiz sale:

"We had some honest conversations over the last week and the conclusion of that was he is gone. It is an area of the pitch where we have competition. I don't have numbers ones or twos. They have to fight for that shirt."

Only if we had someone with this mentality.

Home of Barca Fans