Lionel Messi - v7

serghei

Klopp and Pep? Both only said last season that Messi is the greatest player of all time. Pep put up with Messi walking in his early 20's and much more ( Pepsi incident ) .

Of course. He is one of the best of all time. But he has important flaws as well, that's what it's about. Messi during Pep was a totally different player. Gave more in terms of effort to the team, tracked down spaces, made more runs, closed passing lanes off possession, moved off the ball quicker, and more often. Was overall a much superior player without the ball.

Of course. He is one of the best of all time. But he has important flaws as well, that's what it's about. Messi during Pep was a totally different player. Gave more in terms of effort to the team, tracked down spaces, made more runs, closed passing lanes off possession, moved off the ball quicker, and more often. Was overall a much superior player without the ball.

You put some good posts here but you need to stop with this Messi needs to run more narrative until you can start naming comparative players in history who ran significantly more than Messi in their 30s. Do you play football? I do and in your 30s to dribble and hold off players, shielding the ball is incredibly energy sapping. Dribbling is the first thing to go when you get older because it takes so much out of you. Messi does that a large percentage of the time he gets the ball

A far far more accurate reading of effort is calories burnt, rather than kms run.

Last edited:

soul24rage

For me, Messi not running is not much of a problem as long as you have 9 players defending (although Messi should at least pressure more on the opponent that has the ball who is close to him).

However in this "system", both Suarez and Messi don't do much defending which creates a problem when the team defends deep.

Just like people said that Busi and Rakitic can't play together, I feel that Suarez and Messi can't play together either against big CL opponents.

FinBarcelonafan

For me, Messi not running is not much of a problem as long as you have 9 players defending (although Messi should at least pressure more on the opponent that has the ball who is close to him).

However in this "system", both Suarez and Messi don't do much defending which creates a problem when the team defends deep.

Just like people said that Busi and Rakitic can't play together, I feel that Suarez and Messi can't play together either against big CL opponents.

True, we have been ran over by our opponents in the CL and that way they can bully us. Lack of movement from Suarez and Messi is concerning.

Mitchell1978

Not only was he Barça's topscorer again (with more then double the goals then the next), top creator and dribbler.

He was also the player who progressed the play the most, the most forward passes which is normally a duty for a midfielder.
And he has done so for a couple of seasons

He absolutely deserves every individual award thats available because nobody was at his level the past season, not even close.

FCB1987

Banned
I hope he wins jack shit until he starts running and stops being a lazy fuck. Captain my ass.

I think he deserves the awards because he was the best player, but I definitely won't feel bad for him if he doesn't win because his performance and effort at Anfield were a disgrace.

Mitchell1978

I think he deserves the awards because he was the best player, but I definitely won't feel bad for him if he doesn't win because his performance and effort at Anfield were a disgrace.

He created all the offence that day, 3 clear chances for teammates, talking the rest of the shots so thats anything but a disgrace. He was the only barça player who played reasonably well.

The only thing that is a disgrace are posters like you and serghei.

FCB1987

Banned
You put some good posts here but you need to stop with this Messi needs to run more narrative until you can start naming comparative players in history who ran significantly more than Messi in their 30s. Do you play football? I do and in your 30s to dribble and hold off players, shielding the ball is incredibly energy sapping. Dribbling is the first thing to go when you get older because it takes so much out of you. Messi does that a large percentage of the time he gets the ball

A far far more accurate reading of effort is calories burnt, rather than kms run.

There basically are no comparative players in history to Messi, so saying that no comparative players have run more is a pointless argument. It's like saying Trump isn't a racist because there has never been a former reality tv star president who has been less racist.

Last edited:

FCB1987

Banned
He created all the offence that day, 3 clear chances for teammates, talking the rest of the shots so thats anything but a disgrace. He was the only barça player who played reasonably well.

The only thing that is a disgrace are posters like you and serghei.

A game lasts for 90 minutes, not just when Messi has the ball

Mitchell1978

A game lasts for 90 minutes, not just when Messi has the ball

yes a game last 90 minutes and is played 11 against 11, wow solid argument

There basically are no comparative players in history to Messi, so saying that no comparative players have run more is a pointless argument. It's like saying Trump isn't a racist because there has never been a former reality tv star president who has been less racist.

what a ridiculous comparison, i think you hit a new low and that is saying something

JohnN

Messi' s performance was a disgrace?
He was our best player along with Vidal.
Do you deny this? Was someone else better? Who?

JohnN

So the answer is messi? You just posted a video of him so I guess it is.

I don't get what this is supposed to show.
That the most advanced player stays in his position when the ball is on the other side?
That we never had the ball?
Should he run full speed to cover for the defence also?
Are the expectations so out of this world really?

I explained clearly my criterion on what constitutes a player comparative to Messi, someone who the whole team goes through.

Let's do a deal - I will give you examples of players comparable in style to Messi and you will give me players in their 30s who ran significantly more than him.

Maradona, R9, Pele the 3 other GOAT players imho are all players comparable. Since we are on a Barca forum let's add in Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. There are numerous others. Now,your going to show me the mythical ones that ran way more than Messi, right?

Afromaticz

I dont think u can blame Messi for the way we got slapped around against Liverpool he was shit but so was everyone else..and ifnit wasn't for Messi we would've lost that first leg aswell cause we were terrible.

Home of Barca Fans