Lionel Messi - v7

Batistuta9

Messi will obviously play better as a 10 than a 9. Some people are confusing coutinho's AM position as a 10. He's playing as a 8/10 hybrid at the moment with how much he is helping defensively. Coutinho is doing the role koeman wanted wijnaldum for.

Andresito

Staff member
sound reasoning

what you wrote doesn't mean anything. the fact is i'm right and you are wrong.

how do you like them apples?

he actually moved quite a lot last night.

Alright dawg.

Our team generally was lower down the pitch, hence why Messi's heatmap appears in the centre, but it most likely still is the furthest up the pitch.
So can't draw any conclusions that he played as a 10 from only his heatmap when he in fact didn't.

Messi will obviously play better as a 10 than a 9. Some people are confusing coutinho's AM position as a 10. He's playing as a 8/10 hybrid at the moment with how much he is helping defensively. Coutinho is doing the role koeman wanted wijnaldum for.

From what perspective? If it's from Messi's POV then sure, not playing him as an outright 9 is probably better for him as he becomes more involved.

But from a team perspective, no way Messi as a 10 is optimal. We'll suffer too much defensively. It'd be okay with prime Messi, but current Messi's offense can't make up for a bad defensive structure.

Batistuta9

Alright dawg.

Our team generally was lower down the pitch, hence why Messi's heatmap appears in the centre, but it most likely still is the furthest up the pitch.
So can't draw any conclusions that he played as a 10 from only his heatmap when he in fact didn't.

From what perspective? If it's from Messi's POV then sure, not playing him as an outright 9 is probably better for him as he becomes more involved.

But from a team perspective, no way Messi as a 10 is optimal. We'll suffer too much defensively. It'd be okay with prime Messi, but current Messi's offense can't make up for a bad defensive structure.

That's what I'm saying, it's better Messi playing as the most advanced player. He won't be able to play the AM position in this team as koeman wants a lot of defensive contribution which Messi won't be able to do.

JamDav1982

yeah, i've also noticed it. prime messi was very hard, nearly impossible to dispossess when on the ball.

coming back to this subject, does anyone have messi's heatmap from last night?

it was showing like he played AM or 10. at ST there was barely any red/orange patch. circle in the middle of the field was glowing red.

so how come he isn't able to play there when he actually plays there? :lol:

If you think Messi played AM last night with a striker on front of him then go ahead.

He played exactly how said he would... when opposition have ball he is often furthest up park and when Barca has ball has more freedom to drop and wider players move into box when can.

Messi doesnt play as an AM and you just said you worry about how often gives away ball.... you are giving yourself the reason why. That and his workrate.

Do tell how Barca set up last night...

Valdario

The point is Messi still had three midfielders behind him.

Exactly, that's why Coutinho had much more freedom than he should, I guess Sevilla will need to target Coutinho in the next match if they want to have any success defending against this Barca

Andresito

Staff member
That's what I'm saying, it's better Messi playing as the most advanced player. He won't be able to play the AM position in this team as koeman wants a lot of defensive contribution which Messi won't be able to do.

Then we're on the same page. I fully agree.

vuji_31

Messi is shit these two games.

Any individualy good player Neymar,Salah,Mbappe or Mane would perform better then him.

Valdario

Messi is shit these two games.

Any individualy good player Neymar,Salah,Mbappe or Mane would perform better then him.

Damn bro now you're simply being a hater, him and Coutinho are the biggest reason why we controlled the game in the 2nd half

raskolnikov

Especially second half, in terrible weather, at age 33 while up. He was having a high workrate match and being dangerous.
Could have easily been 1g+1a statistically as well.

Given how most of us thought he would be sulking and be demotivated, he did good though.

Home of Barca Fans