CL 1/4 Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United 4-0 agg.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
As always, yesterdays match looks better the day after.

Conclusion: Result: OK
Performance: Leaves a lot to be desired.

We'll definitely need to get more serious in semis.

Vilarrubi

Na . Not for me .. we are known worldwide for playing football other teams can just dream of ..

We need to get out of this way of thinking that we are just going to go to any stadium and play them off the park.
Real Madrid on their way to CLs had loads of performances where they were average or poor and still won or even lost and brought it back in the 2nd leg. You can’t dominate every single game on the way to the CL final, you have bad performances and luck along the way.

BIG difference yesterday to our usual CL games is we played shit and won... usually we play shit and lose.

It’s impossible for us to be that bad again, I see it as a wake up call for the players.

raskolnikov

We need to get out of this way of thinking that we are just going to go to any stadium and play them off the park.
Real Madrid on their way to CLs had loads of performances where they were average or poor and still won or even lost and brought it back in the 2nd leg. You can’t dominate every single game on the way to the CL final, you have bad performances and luck along the way.

BIG difference yesterday to our usual CL games is we played shit and won... usually we play shit and lose.

It’s impossible for us to be that bad again, I see it as a wake up call for the players.
I could see it happen at Anfield again. We need to play for a good result and save the glory for camp nou. Or kill them there when we play at home first.

Vilarrubi

I could see it happen at Anfield again. We need to play for a good result and save the glory for camp nou. Or kill them there when we play at home first.

Honestly I think a lot of people are overreacting here.

It doesn’t feel like the usual CL ties where we get completely dominated (and usually lose)... United barely had any clear chances.. and we played a title decider against Atletico at the weekend and they had rest. Expect a completely different game at home tbh, probably with spells for United as they try to stay in the tie but more goals for us.

As for the Liverpool tie (if we get through) we’re at home in the first leg aren’t we? So really a Bayern 2015 type semi is needed where we kill the tie in the first leg.

eaman

i'll take the win but that was an embarassing match. this is a very average united side and yet on the whole they were the better team. i actually thought the performance was humiliating. imagine us playing like this against a SAF united or against liverpool...it would be awful

This an average United team but a United team who turn up for the big games. They beat spurs Chelsea and made Liverpool look alot worse than we looked last night. I heard smalling say we were not used to the intensity. That was just wrong. We get that intensity on many occasions in la liga and pass around it and when we're not on top form we can punished more than United could manage. Examples being celta,Levante or leganes who all scored plenty on us. We had spells last night where we played very well under the intensity. And when we didn't play well it was just one of those things.

Joan

Think a winger could've helped us. With Messi and Suarez playing centrally, they had it easy (3 vs 2 usually). Roberto had his moments, I imagine in form Dembele would've torn them apart. Even Malcom...

FinBarcelonafan

Think a winger could've helped us. With Messi and Suarez playing centrally, they had it easy (3 vs 2 usually). Roberto had his moments, I imagine in form Dembele would've torn them apart. Even Malcom...

Exactly. We need to put Dembele in for the next game.

Porque

We didnt really look in trouble in this game. The performance and substitutions was a bit too measured but it got a good result.

We probably could of put them to the sword in the second half with faster countering players, but I am not going to complain about coming out of a CL quarter with an away win.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
We didnt really look in trouble in this game. The performance and substitutions was a bit too measured but it got a good result.

We probably could of put them to the sword in the second half with faster countering players, but I am not going to complain about coming out of a CL quarter with an away win.

Totally agree mate

Centauri B

Let's ignore the forest for the trees and complain only when Liverpool knock us out :valverde:

This hyping of Liverpool needs to stop. Yes, they are one of the best teams in Europe. Yes, they may as well knock us out (far weaker teams have done so in recent years) But, if our players are well rested and fully fit, I think of us as at least slight favorites.

What most of you don't realize in here, is the degree to which being well rested before big CL games affects performance. Last night, United were far better prepared than us for the simple reason that they had 8 days of rest and we had barely half that. This is a yuuuuge deal.

In the return leg, the tables will be completely reversed. a) Camp Nou b) Dembele back c) Barca well rested, United not d) They have to chase the game e) Messi pissed

Back to Liverpool. Just watch their recent games. They have been easily weaker than us for some time now. You don't need to be a football genius to understand that.

Edit: As for all of you EV-hating moaners in here. Bookies think we are number one favorites (and they put their money where their mouths are)

Last edited:

eaman

This hyping of Liverpool needs to stop. Yes, they are one of the best teams in Europe. Yes, they may as well knock us out (far weaker teams have done so in recent years) But, if our players are well rested and fully fit, I think of us as at least slight favorites.

What most of you don't realize in here, is the degree to which being well rested before big CL games affects performance. Last night, United were far better prepared than us for the simple reason that they had 8 days of rest and we had barely half that. This is a yuuuuge deal.

In the return leg, the tables will be completely reversed. a) Camp Nou b) Dembele back c) Barca well rested, United not d) They have to chase the game e) Messi pissed

Back to Liverpool. Just watch their recent games. They have been easily weaker than us for some time now. You don't need to be a football genius to understand that.

Exactly. Even though United had more rest we still controlled most of the game and had chances. We played in second gear and still won. Even under pep we played first legs in second gear and didn't win

Centauri B

Exactly. Even though United had more rest we still controlled most of the game and had chances. We played in second gear and still won. Even under pep we played first legs in second gear and didn't win

The truth is that it's very difficult to win away from home in the CL KO rounds. Even at the height of the Messi-Xavi-Iniesta hyper-team, we struggled in these games.

2009: 1-1 vs Lyon, 1-1 vs weak Bayern, 1-1 vs Chelski
2010: 1-1 vs Stuttgart, 2-2 vs Arsenal, 3-1 defeat vs Inter
2011: 2-1 defeat to Arsenal, 1-0 win over Shaktar, 2-0 win over Real Madrid reduced to 10 men.
2012: 3-1 win over Leverkuzen, 0-0 AC Milan, 1-0 defeat to Chelsea
2013: 2-0 defeat to AC Milan, 2-2 draw vs PSG, 4-0 defeat to Bayern
2014: 0-2 win over 10-man City, 1-0 defeat vs Atleti (elimination)
2015: 2-1 win over City, 3-1 win over PSG, 3-2 defeat to Bayern (our best ever season in terms of away CL games)
2016: 2-0 win over Arsenal, 2-0 defeat to Atleti (elimination)
2017: 4-0 defeat to PSG, 3-0 defeat to Juventus
2018: 1-1 vs Chelsea, 3-0 horror-show vs AS Roma
2019: 0-0 vs Lyon, 1-0 win over Man Utd

Edit: If I am not mistaken, this means that during the Messi era, we have had 8 Wins, 7 Draws and 9 Losses. The 8th win of the decade was last night against United.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans