Luka Jović

Messi983

Why wouldn't he?

We discussed about this at page 11:

True true.

The Cotonou Agreement plus these countries count as 'EU':
Montenegro, FYR Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, Algeria, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Russia, Morocco, Tunisia, Moldova and Albania.

So in conclusion Jovic would not take up a non-EU spot.

Now look at Serbian players in other clubs of La Liga:

Darko Brasanac - Alaves has 3 other non-EU players without double nationality - Maripan, Inui and Rolan alongside Brasanac https://www.transfermarkt.com/deportivo-alaves/startseite/verein/1108

Nemanja Radoja - Celta's non-EU spots are currently occupied by Araujo, Olaza and Maxi Gomez. https://www.transfermarkt.com/celta-vigo/startseite/verein/940

Aleksandar Jovanović - Yangel Herrera, Cucho Hernandez and Chumy Avilla are Huesca's non-EU players https://www.transfermarkt.com/sd-huesca/startseite/verein/5358

Now take a look at players from some of the other countries mentioned in Andresito's post:

Okay Yokuslu (Celta/Turkey) - see a link above

Andriy Lunin, Vasyl Kravets (both Ukraine) and En Nesiry (Morocco) - Leganes currently have Diego Reyes, Szymanowski and Michael Santos occupying non-EU spots https://www.transfermarkt.com/cd-leganes/startseite/verein/1244

Bono (Girona/Morocco) - Mojica, Douglas Luiz and Lozano are Girona's non-EU players. https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-girona/startseite/verein/12321

Bono also has Canadian passport (he was born in Montreal) but this doesn't help him much here. He's living in Spain since 2012 though so he could easily apply to get Spanish nationality but since he doesn't count as non-EU player he doesn't need one.

There are players from other countries as well, for example Nikola Vukčević (Montenegro) and Enis Bardhi (Macedonia) in Levante but their club don't have (enough) other non-EU players to prove this theory. The same for Enes Unal (Valladolid/Turkey) and probably I've missed some players as well.

gregorrin10

Like him, but would absolutely take Rashford over him any day of the week, especially if we could offload Coutinho in the same process...

Arizona Scott

Jovics goal per game ratios are a lot better than rashfords (club and country). I think jovic has a better chance to take on suarezs role, and as the non british darling would come much cheaper. I think rashford/agent is just using reasons (barca) to milk united for everything they can, and i think he is a tad overrated.

BarçaBarça

We discussed about this at page 11:

Great news, then, I missed that. It will matter in the end in determining if Vidal/Malcom stays/goes for example.

I agree with your assessment here, btw:

50M today is basically the same in "real value" as 30M before Neymar/PSG have f*** up the market.

We are looking for a new Paco (bench player at first with a hope he can develop into something more) but situation is different than in 2016. Suarez is 3 years older and in a clear decline so whoever we'll bring should have (on paper) better chances (than Paco) to stay here longterm and become Suarez's potential future replacement. We won't know if Jović is/will be good enough but after watching him more closely over the past few weeks he's my prefered option. He's much more mobile than people give him credit for and while not great technically he's very good in link-up play and he should only improve in that aspect playing with Messi/Dembele instead of his current team mates. Those were my main concerns about Jović when he first emerged as our potential target but now I'm convinced that he will fit into our team.

We are past the fase when we could use just a cheap veteran backup (like F.Llorente for example) and have to do something both short-term (next season) and long-term. Suarez can't play 50-60 games/season on a top level anymore, I would be more than happy if we can get him to be on a good or at least respectable level for 30-40 matches next season (and even more so if he'll perform in the "right" games). Suarez needs more rest but hopefully new guy will also be good enough to get playing time away from him if he'll be out of form. He'll have to convince Messi first though. :messi:

Regarding Suarez it is quite baffling that he regained form like the phoenix once again and be decisive, and climb second on that topscorer list in La Liga. Let's hope that it can be extended when he gets rest next season because of Jovic. And other than Messi I really hope Valverde (or whoever coaches us next season) embrace Jovic, because it seems like the signings he disagrees with he has no shame in benching them forever (like Malcom and Paco).

I think one of the things that weighs in his favour is that he seems to have more of a goal-instinct in an earlier age than Paco. That is what counts in the end, and yes his other qualities seems to be downplayed by many, but the reason is, that it is easier to interpret players when you use stereotypes.

Home of Barca Fans