10 - Lionel Messi - V6

Messigician

really? against which team did they lose?

I don't remember to be honest, I also don't remmeber if it was a draw or a loss or if it was a world cup win or final or Copa win.

I just remmeber a similar stat like that. Hopefully someone has better memory than I do to clarify.

Let's not forget Argentina went unbeaten for 2 Copa' s in a row but still lost the final, this may be a positive sign

MagIX

When ARG won the WC 86, they did not lose a single match
Negative sign.... WC 90 Argentina started with a defeat, they still reached the final but lost it.

serghei

The problem with Messi is that he is lazy. Too much talent and too little work these days, and past a certain level, hard work and intensity are key ingredients to winning. Also, his positioning is chaotic. He moves where he wants when he wants. This is not right. Every single player must fit within the tactics of the team and must have roles and duties to fulfill.

That is what happens when you have managers who are probably in awe of him and don't dare to say anything to him when something is off.

ronniecro

and some people actually thought that he has a decent chance of winning copa...chances are pretty much the same as bale winning euro

feggydinho

The problem with Messi is that he is lazy. Too much talent and too little work these days, and past a certain level, hard work and intensity are key ingredients to winning. Also, his positioning is chaotic. He moves where he wants when he wants. This is not right. Every single player must fit within the tactics of the team and must have roles and duties to fulfill.

That is what happens when you have managers who are probably in awe of him and don't dare to say anything to him when something is off.

This is sooo true and I'm tired, I don't know why Messi behaves like this. He obviously has the talent and has proven it uncountable times, but it's not just about talent.

Hardy

please let's be serious, the train has passed, these bunch of chokers managed to bottle 3 copa america in a row where Brasil wasn't a factor, they have only to blame themselves, now they are just not good enough.

D10S91

Wake up call: This Argentina side won’t even reach the KO stage

Even the 2 best 3rd place teams go to the KO stage, if he can't do that then he deserves all the criticism he'll get. They should get 2nd anyway, they are better than Paraguay and Qatar.

BBZ8800

I love when people say: " Messi drops deep at Barca due to EV's sterile system and due to a crappy Rakitic who can't create anything."

Yesterday for Argentina, Messi was dropping even way deeper than at Barca, lol.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I love when people say: " Messi drops deep at Barca due to EV's sterile system and due to a crappy Rakitic who can't create anything."

Whilst I agree that Messi would do that under every coach, how does this contradict the claim that EV and Raki are shit? Argentina’s system is just as bad if not comfortably worse.

Kul_z

I never saw in the history of this game a player with that much sadness and frustration in nt jersey.

serghei

Lol, that's because Argentina have the Argentinian version of Valverde. :lol:

Also, Argentina have crap midfielders mostly as well. We're talking about a NT that fielded a Gago, Biglia, Enzo Perez midfield :lol: not too long ago.

Let me get this straight, we're talking about how average managers have allowed Messi to do what he wants, and your counter-argument is that he also does it at Argentina under the great manager Scaloni?

:rofl1:

Do you honestly not see a logical problem here?

Last edited:

serghei

To be clear about it, Messi at Barcelona and Argentina is the personification of a player who is treated as a talisman, without a clear system around him. Messi doesn't bail you out if you're an average manager, and would even cause you some structural problems if you're not careful. That is what happened to a T at Barcelona and Argentina, especially at Barcelona (since Argentina also don't have good enough players sadly, which is not Messi's and the manager's fault).

It is a clear failure at the highest level. And has been time and time again. Sure he can score a hattrick against Ecuador, or against Getafe, or even against better teams with some great executions, but overall we're talking about a failure here.

Main fault for this situation is the crap managers and Messi himself.

It is what it is, just a shame because outside La Liga, Messi has had some really bad years in Europe and Internationally with Barcelona and Argentina. At the highest level, Messi and the teams he played for in the last 4-5 years have been a disappointment.

Last edited:

Ripsta

If Dybala and Messi can't function together because of their 'same role', then why doesn't Messi play out wide and Dybala in the middle? He doesn't need to play like an out and out winers, do what he did in 2015.

The Argentina FA are rotten to the core, they're constantly appointing clueless managers and their talent pool outside of several highly talented attackers is atrocious.

Go back to the 2006 and things could have been so different for Messi had that twat Pekerman not benched him.

Home of Barca Fans