Copa | Semifinal: Valencia CF - FC Barcelona 0-3 agg.

Windhook

It's too late to get knocked out of Copa del Rey to save some players fresh. Anyway the second leg is probably the reason Valverde benched Messi on Sunday against Espanyol. Copa is priority, since we lead with 10 points in the league.

Messi983

In times when Semedo played early in the season we actually looked playing 352 with Semedo as 3rd defender and Alba/Deulofeu as WB, but that was much earlier in the season.
I prefer starting Mina, but if EV is so desperate not to use him I think the above line up could be the best possible.

I don't remember that and maybe we have played similar system in some moments but Umtiti, Pique or Masche were playing CBs at that time and not Semedo and Digne.

I still believe it's better to have one new player in the lineup playing in a system that other 10 (or 9 if Cou will also start) players know perfectly (and they can "protect" Mina better) than use a new system and risk most if not all 11 players will feel uncomfortable and struggle within that system.

M

MessiCam

4-3-3 for this game without fail. Only chance is to dominate possession and circulate the ball effectively. No Paulinho unless we're chasing a goal.

BBZ8800

So this is my "protect Mina" lineup:

------------------Cillesen-------------------
Semedo-------Mina-----Umtiti--------Alba
Roberto---Rakitić----Busquets---Coutinho
-----------Messi--------Suarez-------------

Semedo and Mina? Ooh...

Roberto-------Mina-----Umtiti--------Alba
-------Rakitic---Busquets---Iniesta-------
Coutinho----------Messi-----------Suárez

Iniesta definitely plays this one and then goes on rotation for the next few games. Also, if Digne can play with the broken finger I'd imagine he start as a CB ahead of Mina.

--------- Cillessen -----------------
Roberto - Pique/Digne/Mina - Umtiti - Alba
Vidal - Rakitic - Busquets - Iniesta/Coutinho
----- Messi -------- Suarez

There you go.

M

MessiCam

There you go.

You can scratch Pique and Digne off that list because they're both injured but I'd be ok with this if Vidal was replaced by a workhorse like earlier in the season. Due to the centre back situation it's imperative midfield be dominated and it won't happen with both Coutinho and Vidal in midfield. Hence my preference for a 4-3-3.

FCBfan22

There you go.

Sub VidL for Bob and put Semedo at RB. Also Mina RCB.

BBZ8800

Sub VidL for Bob and put Semedo at RB. Also Mina RCB.

I edited your lineup because Semedo almost never plays in tougher matches, in away matches and in tougher-away matches.
So, no for Semedo.

Further, Semedo-Roberto rarely play both in the same time.

It will be: Paulinho or Vidal in midfield or some crazy lineup with both Coutinho and Iniesta again.
As others said, if Mina will play, you can't pair him with equally shaky Semedo.

FCBfan22

I edited your lineup because Semedo almost never plays in tougher matches, in away matches and in tougher-away matches.
So, no for Semedo.

Further, Semedo-Roberto rarely play both in the same time.

It will be: Paulinho or Vidal in midfield or some crazy lineup with both Coutinho and Iniesta again.
As others said, if Mina will play, you can't pair him with equally shaky Semedo.

Why I put Bob in RM? Because he is a better defender that Vidal and is far more positionally aware than Paulinho. Semedo will do fine defensively and will not bomb forward, which is perfect for protecting Mina and our RB doesn't need to be super attacking, since we are defending the lead (and we still have Messi, who can make things appear out of thin air).

Anyway, I just hope that Valverde doesn't sacrifice Busquets playing CB, because we will need him in midfield. Badly.

Pepe Silvia

Dont see nothing wrong in gomes, vidal and alcacer as a subs, sometimes starters in a easier match, they already proved they can be useful
pretty much this. we have some depth and now that the newer players have somewhat integrated to the squad, best let ev do his thing and rotate when necessary (business end of season)

JamDav1982

Why I put Bob in RM? Because he is a better defender that Vidal and is far more positionally aware than Paulinho. Semedo will do fine defensively and will not bomb forward, which is perfect for protecting Mina and our RB doesn't need to be super attacking, since we are defending the lead (and we still have Messi, who can make things appear out of thin air).

Anyway, I just hope that Valverde doesn't sacrifice Busquets playing CB, because we will need him in midfield. Badly.

Semedo was poor against them defensively last time and they targeted him.

Even Vidal was better overall when he came on and Barcas best form of defence is attack not to sit back and invite Valencia on.

Roberto will play RB.

M

MessiCam

Paulinho’s positional ineptitude is not that much of a problem when Messi is on the field. Messi draws defenders so he can make those late runs and, vice versa, when they decide to mark Paulinho they give Messi a little more space.

It’s little wonder that he was out of his depth against Espanyol in a 4-3-3... His foil wasn’t on the pitch.

FCBfan22

Paulinho’s positional ineptitude is not that much of a problem when Messi is on the field. Messi draws defenders so he can make those late runs and, vice versa, when they decide to mark Paulinho they give Messi a little more space.

It’s little wonder that he was out of his depth against Espanyol in a 4-3-3... His foil wasn’t on the pitch.

It would be a problem, if he plays RM, because his camping in a box will leave Roberto or Mina exposed. If he plays as CM/CAM, I agree with you.

Home of Barca Fans