Arthur

JamDav1982

Rakitic, yes, Arthur and De Jong, and even Busi? No.

So it is not down to attackers when Rakitic does it but it is when Arthur does?

Is your argument that Arhur does advance the ball enough or that he doesnt but that is down to the attackers?

Busquets takes more of those riskier passes on with same players around him. Massively declined but his passing in opposition half is as good as ever been.

serghei

So it is not down to attackers when Rakitic does it but it is when Rakitic does?

Is your argument that Arhur does pass advance the ball enough or that he doesnt but that is down to the attackers?

Busquets takes more of those riskier passes on with same players around him. Massively declined but his passing in opposition half is as good as ever been.

Yes, because Rakitic has problems with thinking clearly under pressure. De Jong and Arthur are more lucid and composed in these pressure situations. I'm not saying the problems you write about don't exist in our midfield period, I'm saying they don't exist, except rarely, in Arthur and De Jong in particular.

I'm advocating for a third midfielder who could help Arthur and De Jong be more daring. And to replace Suarez with a younger more energetic player. Suarez is like a bear and Messi barely moves. We need to replace one with a superior work-rate player.

Last edited:

serghei

A CB who can push up fast and maybe intercept when the ball is lost, read the game better, like a Mascherano or a Puyol used to do, is also needed.

JamDav1982

Yes, because Rakitic has problems with thinking clearly under pressure. De Jong and Arthur are more lucid and composed in these pressure situations. I'm not saying the problems you write about don't exist in our midfield period, I'm saying they don't exist, except rarely, in Arthur and De Jong in particular.

I'm advocating for a third midfielder who could help Arthur and De Jong be more daring.

Arthur too often circulates ball with easy pass that does not too all that much and that is when other options are visibly on and turns away from them.

Needs to develop on that and impacting in final third as being top notch under pressure does is not enough if wants to be in a mid with FDJ.

I agree them as a pair would be best set up in current squad but when teams sit deep you need one to step out and help in final third.

The argument for Rakitic chosing easy option to often when faced with another pass applies directly to Arthur as well if putting it on the attacking players.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's going to be tough to get all this summer. Barca simply cannot afford it. No teams will be spending a lot of money on players.

Trading Arthur for Ndombele and then getting Tonali.

Getting Upamecano. Trading Vidal and Rakitic + a bit of cash for Lautaro and Semedo for Cancelo or someone like Ricardo Pereira might be it.

JamDav1982

It's going to be tough to get all this summer. Barca simply cannot afford it. No teams will be spending a lot of money on players.

Trading Arthur for Ndombele and then getting Tonali.

Getting Upamecano. Trading Vidal and Rakitic + a bit of cash for Lautaro and Semedo for Cancelo or someone like Ricardo Pereira might be it.

From press it seems Upamecano is going to Bayern.

Cant blame him.

serghei

Arthur too often circulates ball with easy pass that does not too all that much and that is when other options are visibly on and turns away from them.

Needs to develop on that and impacting in final third as being top notch under pressure does is not enough if wants to be in a mid with FDJ.

The argument for Rakitic chosing easy option to often when faced with another pass applies directly to Arthur as well if putting it on the attacking players.

So, just to make it more clear, if you would rank the issues that need to be fixing, you think improving the midfield by replacing Arthur would bring more to the team, than adding a 3rd midfielder next to Arthur and De Jong and replacing Suarez, with a younger, faster, more hard working and more mobile player?

DonAK

From press it seems Upamecano is going to Bayern.

Cant blame him.

Would be a pity for Barca. Think he would be perfect and for a reasonable price too. Better than spending 35m on another slow La Liga CB that takes 24 hours to turn his hips.

JamDav1982

So, just to make it more clear, if you would rank the issues that need to be fixing, you think improving the midfield by replacing Arthur would bring more to the team, than adding a 3rd midfielder next to Arthur and De Jong and replacing Suarez?

Why do you need to 'rank the issues'?

Barca have a lot to sort out and Arthur is a good player but needs to step up and improve on a lot of things.

serghei

Why do you need to 'rank the issues'?

Barca have a lot to sort out and Arthur is a good player but needs to step up and improve on a lot of things.

Because you can't have it all at once. You need to improve the weakest areas first. And see how the other aspects evolve under the new conditions. Each thing/transfer you get right, has the potential to unlock other areas which are now underperforming.

DonAK

Because you can't have it all. You need to improve the weakest areas first. And see how the other aspects evolve under the new conditions.

With COVID-19 fucking up our already tight budget it might simply be time to start the rebuild and accept we're not going to challenge for the CL anytime soon.

Barca not managing to rebuild their team, fucking up multiple transfers for big money is going to cost them the next 1-3 years.

I expect a regression the next year.

serghei

With COVID-19 fucking up our already tight budget it might simply be time to start the rebuild and accept we're not going to challenge for the CL anytime soon.

Barca not managing to rebuild their team, fucking up multiple transfers for big money is going to cost them the next 1-3 years.

I expect a regression the next year.

Ok, and knowing this, I think we should:

1. Get the forward-winger to replace Suarez with (It's paramount to break Messi-Suarez pair).

2. Get a 3rd midfielder. Get a cheaper one if the money aren't enough, but one who shows promise in the area we need.

3. Bring Todibo back.

It's enough to start.

Home of Barca Fans