Arthur

JamDav1982

4 months ago City bought Bernardo Silva for 50 mil, a key player for the French champions and semi finalist. He is what 2 years older than arthur. 10 years ago or now it does not make a difference, an unproven player like arthur is not worth more than 15 mil. Compared to 50 mil for arthur, gomes would be considered masterstroke.

The point is we should not be looking at some random players for such an important role. The player to replace xavi must be world class, not some brazilian that will be forgotten in 2 years.

There is no world class Xavi replacement available.

I have not been too impressed by videos of Arthur to be honest. Dont think he looks all that smooth or in control but in principle paying 50m for a young player out of Brazil in todays market is not all that severe.

Gnidrologist

That's the thing. There are no world class playmaking CMs availabe. We either gamble buying a promising youngster or continue using Messi ar the sole playmaker (+ AM + scorer) until he retires. Take your pick. I'd say this one's a good gamble, especially if we get rid of complete garbage like Gomes and Turan, while getting some money.
Also, i agree with that he doesn't look anything monstrous in youtubes, because he seems to play a simple game, choosing ordinary, but correct decisions. I'd say Busquets compilations are quite impressive because of his piss-taking in one-on-ones and the laser sharp between lines passes, but Xavi compilation really do take the cake of being nothing special given he's one of the all time greats along with likes of Cruiff & Co. That's because he could only be appreciated, when you watched Barca or Spain match in match out. Apart from some assists and and that fancy occasional turn, he got nothing to present in flashy videos. It's his movement into right spaces, distributing ball at right times to right teammates and reading the game that made him so grand. Someone should watch more Gremio and report back. :) Aren't there any brazilians here?

draconifire

Oh boy if I was sceptical with 40mil, now if it's 50, can't say I would be too happy if we buy him. From the videos I saw, he looks decent. The only gripe with him is, he seems to be a late bloomer, hasn't shown much in his earlier age (as for as I can tell).
But he can be a hit like Paulinho if the board has assessed him pretty well.

Gnidrologist

Xavi was also late bloomer, if we only consider his god-mode years, which started around 27-28. Just, for God's sake, don't think it's a some fishy comparison to agitate for Arthur's quality. Tbh, i think we really need to look for mid, who can keep things simple, but always knows what to do and does not falter under preassure. This guy looks exactly that.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Oh boy if I was sceptical with 40mil, now if it's 50, can't say I would be too happy if we buy him. From the videos I saw, he looks decent. The only gripe with him is, he seems to be a late bloomer, hasn't shown much in his earlier age (as for as I can tell).
But he can be a hit like Paulinho if the board has assessed him pretty well.

He was promoted to the first team when he was 20 and started for Gremio full time at just turned 21. How is that a late bloomer? Represented Brazil at U17 and U20 level too.

He simply wasn't hyped because he plays simple instead of making fancy tricks like Gerson and other players did. He's not a very Brazilian player. More in the Spanish mould.

I think 50m is too much though. If he has another season like this or stars for Brazil at the WC it could be worth it.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

I just saw this video and wonder are there anyone here who can roughly translate the baloon text comments. I like this video more than random highlights that was posted before. The guy really seems genuine playmakling cm with good footballing IQ. With Barca teammates around him he will look even more impressive. 50mil or not, he's worth a buy imo.
[youtube]473t6TXbCwo[/youtube]

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw this video and wonder are there anyone here who can roughly translate the baloon text comments. I like this video more than random highlights that was posted before. The guy really seems genuine playmakling cm with good footballing IQ. With Barca teammates around him he will look even more impressive. 50mil or not, he's worth a buy imo.

I want to see what you are seeing but in opening actions already he makes moves and passes which end up in more difficult positions than he started in.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think people are under-estimating how hard it is to be a 'Xavi-esque' player in Brazil. Don't think I've ever actually seen a player emulate that in any South American competitions since I've been watching football. If you ever watch Brazilian or other South American teams play usually the offense is pretty stagnant and one dimensional in comparison to European teams.

A 'Xavi' is by nature highly dependent on the movement and spacing of his teammates and for Arthur to be a pretty effective orchestrating player in that setting is impressive IMO. He's not a surefire hit or a surefire bust, but he certainly has the right skillset to be a success. Instinctive composure on the ball, huge passing range, an agile ball carrier that retains possession well, a capable defensive support player. There's far more to like than to be doubtful about.

And he did it all winning the toughest competition in South America while being the best player. This doesn't make it a foregone conclusion that he'd be a star in Europe but you have to see that in his situation he's done everything we could ever ask of him to show and succeeded at the highest level. He could potentially not show it in Europe but he's shown everything he possibly can in Brazil, there's nothing lacking with the resources and stage given to him.

Edit: Saying things like "10m or pass" is actually crazy and I dunno what people have been paying attention to in this recent market to pull out a number like that. We've legit paid near that much for B team players, let alone a 21 year old transfer for the first team who has been one of the best players in SA, the Libertadores Champion, and MOTM of the final. I get the hesitation at 50m but srsly, no one should be all that uneasy or surprised that he's a minimum of at least 30m.

Last edited:

SeloBarca

I want to see what you are seeing but in opening actions already he makes moves and passes which end up in more difficult positions than he started in.

Really? I could make pictures and lines and exactly describe what he does and contribute in every situation....if i had any vid editing skills :lol: Tip, dont lock your eyes on him.

Jair Ventura

If he stays with Gremio until Summer I'd be happy if PSG were to purchase him. I don't think his buy out fee is obscene for a player of his quality.

Jair Ventura

You have Verratti. Same profile.

Verratti plays further forward, while Arthur is a legitimate 6/Sentinel, the exact type of player PSG is looking for. In comparison to Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Arthur is a year younger and 100m euros cheaper. Would be a good buy for whatever clubs lands him.

Raketa10

Don’s see anything special in him, he literally does nothing special in this video and as Barcaman said he often ends up in more difficult positions than he started in. Problem is that people see “Xavi type pf players” everywhere these days while reality is majoriy of those players are nothing like him.

Alena has much bigger potential than this guy so let PSG have him and put more trust in La Masia kids (Alena, O. Busquets etc.). 50 mil for this guy is way too much.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans