Ernesto Valverde - V1

BBZ8800

Iniesta and Xavi?

1.I said 5 players
2. Xavi was almost 24 already in Rijkaard's first season and he has already played 196 matches (and 55 CL matches already, lol) for Barca before Rijkaard came.

So, we have Iniesta, the one and only Messi and let's say Valdes who was already a starter.
Let's hear which other youngsters has Rijkaard developed over 5 years...

Messigician

1.I said 5 players
2. Xavi was almost 24 already in Rijkaard's first season and he has already played 196 matches (and 55 CL matches already, lol) for Barca before Rijkaard came.

So, we have Iniesta, the one and only Messi and let's say Valdes who was already a starter.
Let's hear which other youngsters has Rijkaard developed over 5 years...

Why are we comparing 2 players to 5 players lol seems a bit unfair.

George_Costanza

Lol.
Name 5 La Masia players (or even bought young players) over Rijkaard's 5 years in whom he had more faith than EV has with Arthur and Alena.

A lot of urban myths and making the past times better than they actually were.

Lionel Messi, Iniesta, Luis Garcia, Victor Valdes, Oleguer. There are half dozen other La Masia players who at least played 3-5 games (more than Alena) that I have to dig to find but I'm sure of it.

BBZ8800

Messigician, EV is here for a season and a half.
Rijkaard was here for 5 years.

Yet, Rijkaard's average of developing youngsters wasn't too much better than EV's, but people are glorifying all days.

Lionel Messi, Iniesta, Luis Garcia, Victor Valdes, Oleguer. There are half dozen other La Masia players who at least played 3-5 games (more than Alena) that I have to dig to find but I'm sure of it.

Messi, yes.
Iniesta, yes.
Valdes, yes.
Xavi aged 24, 196 matches for Barca already, no.
Luis Garcia, aged 25 when Rijkaard came and Rijkaard sold him after one season, lol, no.
Oleguer: he played only when Dm Edmilson broke knee ligaments in 2004/05.
Then a sub Dm Motta broke knee ligaments in the same season.
Then another allrounder Gabri broke knee ligaments.
We were without midfield options.
Larsson also broke knee ligaments and we had only 3 attackers: Ronnie, Etoo, Guily.
So, Iniesta jumped into an attacking role.
In midfield, our only healthy players left were: Xavi, Deco, Gerard, Iniesta for 3 spots and Iniesta playing as a sub winger.
So, Rijkaard moved Cb Marquez to a Dm.
Then in defense we lost Marquez and Edmilson and our only options were Puyol and Oleguer.

So, it is hard to tell how much has Rijkaard intentionally played Iniesta and Oleguer, and how much he was desperate due to injuries.
Plus, Oleguer was 24-25 in that season when he played a lot, so he was hardly a youngster.
Plus, Rijkaard later bought grannies Zambrotta and Thuram and and sold Oleguer to Ajax.

So, hardly a happy ending fairytale about developing and having huge thrust in youngsters.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Lol.
Name 5 La Masia players (or even bought young players) over Rijkaard's 5 years in whom he had more faith than EV has with Arthur and Alena.

A lot of urban myths and making the past times better than they actually were.

Rjikaard was not scared to play Leo Messi, a freaking 17 year old late in the CL!!

He built some confidence even in the likes of Bojan & Giovani dos Santos

Don't tell me Rjikaard was no better than the stupid Ernesto

Cule4life

The Culest
Valverde as good as Rijkaard in developing young players?

enough-internet.gif

George_Costanza

Messigician, EV is here for a season and a half.
Rijkaard was here for 5 years.

Yet, Rijkaard's average of developing youngsters wasn't too much better than EV's, but people are glorifying all days.

Messi, yes.
Iniesta, yes.
Valdes, yes.
Xavi aged 24, 196 matches for Barca already, no.
Luis Garcia, aged 25 when Rijkaard came and Rijkaard sold him after one season, lol, no.
Oleguer: he played only when Dm Edmilson broke knee ligaments in 2004/05.
Then a sub Dm Motta broke knee ligaments in the same season.
Then another allrounder Gabri broke knee ligaments.
We were without midfield options.
Larsson also broke knee ligaments and we had only 3 attackers: Ronnie, Etoo, Guily.
So, Iniesta jumped into an attacking role.
In midfield, our only healthy players left were: Xavi, Deco, Gerard, Iniesta for 3 spots and Iniesta playing as a sub winger.
So, Rijkaard moved Cb Marquez to a Dm.
Then in defense we lost Marquez and Edmilson and our only options were Puyol and Oleguer.

So, it is hard to tell how much has Rijkaard intentionally played Iniesta and Oleguer, and how much he was desperate due to injuries.
Plus, Oleguer was 24-25 in that season when he played a lot, so he was hardly a youngster.
Plus, Rijkaard later bought grannies Zambrotta and Thuram and and sold Oleguer to Ajax.

So, hardly a happy ending fairytale about developing and having huge thrust in youngsters.

Your original post was: "Name 5 La Masia players (or even bought young players) over Rijkaard's 5 years in whom he had more faith than EV has with Arthur and Alena."

I replied to one part only (La Masia/Barca B) and didn't bother remembering/find bought young players.

Oleguer (I hated him btw) played 18 games in 2003/04, that's a year before your Edmilson injury story. Garcia was a Barca B player who was loaned for 4 different clubs, was brought back and played 25 games (more than Arthur and Alena). Sold to Benítez Liverpool and won the UCL on his first season.

I was just replying to your post. No way Valverde come close to the guy you have his avatar in developing players.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I would expect news about his renewal or departure soon as the club will need to move forward with a plan for next season in the coming months.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
BBZ makes a point of Rijaard not having developed that many youngsters which is true but also irrelevant. What people are complaining is: lack of chances given to youth. Would be nice to see the minutes given to young players under Frank versus Valverde.

Home of Barca Fans