Ernesto Valverde - V1

Icarium

Lifestealer
He is dumb guys, leave the topic. We spent 120m to start the same players if they don't perform. Yes makes sense. Smh.

xXKonan

If there's one thing I liked about Pep the most isn't just his system but his ability to develop and put people in their place if needed.

Look at Joe Hart who is arguably a Man City Legend and a Fan and Media darling. Pep gave him a chance during Preseason to adapt to what he wants out of his Goal Keepers, and Joe himself didn't want to do it and still booted up field and Pep got rid of him.

Even Aguero changed. A Guy who was considered untouchable at City, Got benched by Pep for a time by Gabriel Jesus and Pep forced Aguero to adapt to his tactics a guy who is 29-30 years old and he improved a lot even at this age.

Pep isn't perfect but guys like him and Klopp are perfect examples of guys who can set a team up to play incredible football and also develop players and take no bullshit as well. Do you think with those two around in this day in age they would put up with the likes of Pique and Suarez's Bullshit on field and off field? Fuck no they wouldn't.

This is the opposite with Valverde who while isn't a bad coach is a guy who simple comes off as to nice especially when it comes to the Vets on this team as they can easily take advantage of it. This team needs a manager who not only has balls but someone who actually gives a shit about improving players as well.

clemente

But why was Coutinho on the bench tho, it just doesn't make sense, even for this clown you can't justify dropping Coutinho for fucking Roberto/Suarez, literally every game last season as soon as I see lineup I get annoyed, and this season its the same somehow, just boot this guy already.

xXKonan

But why was Coutinho on the bench tho, it just doesn't make sense, even for this clown you can't justify dropping Coutinho for fucking Roberto/Suarez, literally every game last season as soon as I see lineup I get annoyed, and this season its the same somehow, just boot this guy already.
He wanted defensive stability to my understanding.

But the problem is we were facing a team who is known for being defensive and it seemed redundant and not only that they didn't really press us all that much and the only thing you had to worry is counters. In games like this you will always need your creative options off the bat.

Barcilliant

Lmao defensive stability!

If he is scared of Alaves what will he do against City or Liverpool?

I hope we face City in the group stage so this fool can be exposed.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
He wanted defensive stability to my understanding.

But the problem is we were facing a team who is known for being defensive and it seemed redundant and not only that they didn't really press us all that much and the only thing you had to worry is counters. In games like this you will always need your creative options off the bat.

Let's just assume that Alaves is this massive powerhouse that is so strong upfront that Barca needed this defensive stability. In no way should Coutinho be sacrificed then , He is cleary the second best player of this team.

Barcilliant

Let's just assume that Alaves is this massive powerhouse that is so strong upfront that Barca needed this defensive stability. In no way should Coutinho be sacrificed then , He is cleary the second best player of this team.

Exactly!

Coutinho should always be a starter. What was Valverde thinking?

KingLeo10

Barca doesn't do defensive stability. That's for those italian teams and atletico. Our best defense is attack. :cheers:

Valverde should realize this quickly and use the arsenal he has at his disposal (Coutinho, Dembele, Malcom) instead of relying on Messi and the carcass of Suarez to bail us out.

xXKonan

Barca doesn't do defensive stability. That's for those italian teams and atletico. Our best defense is attack. :cheers:

Valverde should realize this quickly and use the arsenal he has at his disposal (Coutinho, Dembele, Malcom) instead of relying on Messi and the carcass of Suarez to bail us out.
That's the thing, Valverde has always favor general stability over anything else in his entire coaching career.

His Bilbao was a pain in the ass in that regard. He had press us high and for the most part was pretty defensively stable. He ain't going to change that.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
I just wish we could approach beatable teams differently. We should be trying to score as early as possible against these teams that are going to park the bus. If we did that, the game will be more open, we would be able to score more goals, bring on the youngsters and do some experimentation with the line up, formations.

The key would be to start with a strong squad, play at a faster tempo and with a collective mindset to break the other team's will in the first 20 minutes.

behindbrowneyes

Don't judge him after one game. The season is still very young and we'll have to wait at least 10 games to get an idea what Valverde is planning to do this year. There were lots of articles coming up that we need to rotate more so that the key players are fresh in the hot stage of CL. If you want to rotate more you don't field your best team in every game but rest some because they'll play 90 minutes in the next one while other key players get rested there.

If you have a player like Coutinho on the bench you have an impact sub guaranteed if things go wrong. I don't say he should stay on the bench every game.

Just have a look at the bench: Cillessen, Coutinho, Arthur, Rafinha, Malcom, Lenglet and Arturo Vidal
Compared to the one in last season's first game: Cillessen, Digné, Piqué (Mascherano starting), Aleix Vidal, Gomes, Denis, Arda

This squad allows a lot of rotating. Sure, it was the first game and you could field up the strongest XI, but you'd better start too early with rotation than too late. A weak bench and overplayed key players was the main reason Barça didn't win a CL in recent history.

Sorin

I was thinking the other day over the state of our team last year, which culminated with the Roma debacle, but whatever happened with the managers improving the players he has at his disposal? Currently there is no one player that has improved under EV. Maybe Umtiti, but can't think of anyone else. While i do get that the likes Gomes, Denis, Vidal, Paco etc. are just poor and they can't improve much on that but not even to average performances? Maybe i expect too much...

clemente

Don't judge him after one game. The season is still very young and we'll have to wait at least 10 games to get an idea what Valverde is planning to do this year. There were lots of articles coming up that we need to rotate more so that the key players are fresh in the hot stage of CL. If you want to rotate more you don't field your best team in every game but rest some because they'll play 90 minutes in the next one while other key players get rested there.

If you have a player like Coutinho on the bench you have an impact sub guaranteed if things go wrong. I don't say he should stay on the bench every game.

Just have a look at the bench: Cillessen, Coutinho, Arthur, Rafinha, Malcom, Lenglet and Arturo Vidal
Compared to the one in last season's first game: Cillessen, Digné, Piqué (Mascherano starting), Aleix Vidal, Gomes, Denis, Arda

This squad allows a lot of rotating. Sure, it was the first game and you could field up the strongest XI, but you'd better start too early with rotation than too late. A weak bench and overplayed key players was the main reason Barça didn't win a CL in recent history.

Don't really agree, sure if we have matches every 3 days then its good that we can rotate, but when we have 1 game every weekend, then what is the point to rest a 26 year old? He can easily play that and probably even wants to, at this rate he is losing match fitness to play this little. At Liverpool he played every single game possible.

Home of Barca Fans