Cr150

JamDav1982

It's not that huge, Ronaldo is arguably top 5 all time. But he's not on the same tier as Leo or Maradona.

And if you think football fans understand nuance these days you're kidding yourself. Go on twitter or any social media and see the kinds of low effort memes and goal tally stats that get thrown around. Football discussion has only gotten worse and worse at large.

Funny how Gerd Muller gets seen as a poacher but Ronaldo doesn't (especially for the past 3-4 years).

Because it is easy to see he is nothing like Muller as a player for anyone with any football IQ.

JamDav1982

The gap in ability of two is huge.

The gap of how they can influence games is not.

Both can do things the other cant but Messi still shades it.

Best two ever for me and will go down as such in general football opinion when all said and done I think.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
It's not that huge, Ronaldo is arguably top 5 all time. But he's not on the same tier as Leo or Maradona.

And if you think football fans understand nuance these days you're kidding yourself. Go on twitter or any social media and see the kinds of low effort memes and goal tally stats that get thrown around. Football discussion has only gotten worse and worse at large.

Funny how Gerd Muller gets seen as a poacher but Ronaldo doesn't (especially for the past 3-4 years).

That is more due to ignorance than lack of IQ I think. Casual fans do not watch regular games at all, they watch the biggest games like El Clasico or CL only. The rest they see in highlights only. Even among those fans who do watch games, there are not many who watch both Madrid and Barca games. Easy to manipulate people by an agenda this way, be it any side of the spectrum: the "Messi is a useless choker and CR7 is the greatest" side or the "CR is just a tap-in merchant and Messi is the God" side. Way too many representatives of the latter on Barcaforum.

Stoichkov1

And Ronaldo could never lead a league in assists for a season the way Gerd Muller did

What? I'm quite sure Ronaldo has been the top assister in Real Madrid for the last decade every season except this one maybe.

The only reason he doesn't get most assists in the league is because Messi plays in la liga. Put Gerd Muller in this Real Madrid team and Messi would still get more assists than Muller.

gr98

not every skill can be judge with eyes. messi have 0 skill outside of football. where is his leadership ? never give up mentality and his bravery?

u put messi on penalty minute 94 in wc final he will fail. while ronaldo thrive for moments like those.

messi have higher soccer skill but ronaldo mentality and leadership is way way above messi.

back to back to back aka threepeat championship league while barca pep era cant even get double. let that sink in.
What the fuck are you even on about? Ronaldo has missed more crucial penalties in his career than Messi you imbecile.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
What? I'm quite sure Ronaldo has been the top assister in Real Madrid for the last decade every season except this one maybe.

The only reason he doesn't get most assists in the league is because Messi plays in la liga. Put Gerd Muller in this Real Madrid team and Messi would still get more assists than Muller.

Ehhh check again. He didn't lead RM in assists in either 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13, 13/14, 16/17, or 17/18. 1 season where he was the highest for RM.

Either way, I'd say if you're gonna call one a poacher then you have to with the other. Ronaldo's entire game these days relies on hanging off the backline and hunting for opportunities in the box. He's arguably the best ever at it, but you have to call it for what it is.

Devils

The gap in ability of two is huge.

The gap of how they can influence games is not.

Both can do things the other cant but Messi still shades it.

Best two ever for me and will go down as such in general football opinion when all said and done I think.

Yeah and it makes sense that the influence gap would drop when they entered their late 20s and 30s.

Ronaldo's strengths have always been his freak athleticism and his drive/motivation. Messi's has been his freak talent and ability.

Ronaldo's attributes are more favourable for an older player in contrast to Messi's talent who is still a freak talent but doesn't have the athletic ability he di when he was younger.

JamDav1982

Ehhh check again. He didn't lead RM in assists in either 09/10, 10/11, 11/12, 12/13, 13/14, 16/17, or 17/18. 1 season where he was the highest for RM.

Either way, I'd say if you're gonna call one a poacher then you have to with the other. Ronaldo's entire game these days relies on hanging off the backline and hunting for opportunities in the box. He's arguably the best ever at it, but you have to call it for what it is.

Haha did you miss tonights game?

In the one competition you seem to care about the CL Ronaldo has been the top scorer and assister more than any anyone in other teams.

Ronaldo stats on assists for Real are top notch.

Stoichkov1

I repeat that Gerd Muller could never have played how Ronaldo played tonight and could not have scored that freekick.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

This is a caricatured version. Ronaldo drops deep to build up the play often enough to make an impact. Likes to appear on the wings or just outside the box to dribble with the ball inside it too. This is how he gets his penalties. Does not have to orchestrate everything like Messi because Madrid have Marcelo, Kroos and Modric. Not that type of player anyway.

He was the best playmaker for Portugal tonight. Organized rapid counters with slick one touch passing and lay offs. Can do the job well enough.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Haha did you miss tonights game?

In the one competition you seem to care about the CL Ronaldo has been the top scorer and assister more than any anyone in other teams.

Ronaldo stats on assists for Real are top notch.

Lol 1 game changes the last 4 years entirely now does it?

I don't even like assist totals as a stat regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgCC9bfyhAs

Watch all of Ronaldo's "great CL assists" and tell me he's up there with the best playmakers in the CL for the past 7 years then lol. Anyone with eyes can see that all his contribution comes in the box or some short passes around it.

You can't have double standards for what players you define as penalty box predators.

Because Müller was a Goal poacher his whole Career while Ronaldo was a winger with superior Dribbling, chances creating and passing. Look at Ronaldo from 2007 till 2013, ist seems like many People forgot how good Ronaldo was as a winger. 2015 he started to become a Goal poacher but not a poacher like many in history, he is the ultimate Goal poacher I would say. I mean he scored in the last 3 years as a Goal poacher 40 Goals in the Champions League against Giants like juventus, Atletico Madrid or Bayern. His Level as a Goal poacher is uncomparable.

Home of Barca Fans