10 - Lionel Messi - v5

JamDav1982

Messi and Pep were not the greatest buddies at Barca by end anyway. Not sure Messi has this great desire to go play with him as much is made out.

Yeah and I have never heard that they argued just that their was tension between the two in Peps last season. It was widely discussed at the time.

Even if they had a massive blazing row I would expect nothing but Pep to praise him and want him.

M

MessiCam

Long balls are a proven losing tactic against smart football teams, almost without fail. Physicality and winning duels is great and all but you can't just create superiority through physical play. Positioning, high press, and forcing errors are a MUCH more reliable way to consistently win that 2nd ball and recover loose balls from errors. Teams that try desperate long balls and allow City to keep pinning them back in their half are playing right into Pep's hands and it's why he'll rack up plenty of blowout wins against the worse English sides. They also dominated Liverpool with this style of play and were dominating Chelsea despite the draw.
Who said anything about desperate long balls? I clearly said the better Premiership sides.

Stoichkov1

Yeah and I have never heard that they argued just that their was tension between the two in Peps last season. It was widely discussed at the time.

Even if they had a massive blazing row I would expect nothing but Pep to praise him and want him.

Yeah arguing and tension between the two means the same thing.

M

MessiCam

Liverpool were the better team up until Mane red card even though City were 1-0 up they were looking more dangerous.

City beat Chelsea and were brilliant in that game to be fair.
Yep, Chelsea we’re off colour though. Once Morata got injured they were devoid of ideas.

KingLeo10

Who said anything about desperate long balls? I clearly said the better Premiership sides.

nah, guardiola's playing philosophy is nearly perfect, the only minus being the sometimes suicidal high line. it gets stronger and stronger the more technical and virtuoso players you have. napoli being the starting level, pep's city and bayern being the proficient level, and barca 2011 being the extreme level. go watch the plays of the 2011 team against teams like jose's madrid and SAF's united. both coaches with a penchant for physical players and counter attacking football looked nearly clueless.

also all 4 of pep's years at barca, the team wasn't on the same level. 09 and especially 11 were the peaks, 10 was brilliant but mired by that inter game, and 12 was the beginning of a slight decline.

JamDav1982

nah, guardiola's playing philosophy is nearly perfect, the only minus being the sometimes suicidal high line. it gets stronger and stronger the more technical and virtuoso players you have. napoli being the starting level, pep's city and bayern being the proficient level, and barca 2011 being the extreme level. go watch the plays of the 2011 team against teams like jose's madrid and SAF's united. both coaches with a penchant for physical players and counter attacking football looked nearly clueless.

Joses Madrid battered Barca in a few of the games between the two as well though.

KingLeo10

Joses Madrid battered Barca in a few of the games between the two as well though.

not a single time when pep was here. this is just wrong.

jose finally got his wins when we were coachless with tito on his deathbed with cancer and some no one named roura in charge. hardly ground breaking stuff.

Stoichkov1

There was one game at Camp Nou Real could have been 3/4-0 up at half time I am sure that was Pep v Jose will need to look it up.

Real beat Barca a few times as well as that and were not clueless.

It was the second leg of copa del rey in 2012.

I remember that game because for the first time Real was better than Barca in over 3 years. Then they eventually won at camp nou in the league game.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

You were the one who said long balls would circumvent Pep's tactics and break them down, if anything I'd say that's one of the least effective ways to counter Pep's football. Better premiership teams? I'd say so far this season their performances against better premiership teams are quite convincing. They'll be even better when Aguero returns and if Gundogan/B. Silva can nail down a productive role in the team even as subs.

KingLeo10

There was one game at Camp Nou Real could have been 3/4-0 up at half time I am sure that was Pep v Jose will need to look it up.

Real beat Barca a few times as well as that and were not clueless.

Pep v mou in 2010-11 and 2011-12

barca 5-0 madrid
barca 0-1 madrid
barca 2-0 madrid
barca 1-1 madrid
barca 1-1 madrid
barca 2-2 madrid
barca 3-2 madrid
barca 3-1 madrid
barca 2-1 madrid
barca 2-2 madrid
barca 1-2 madrid

5W, 2L, 4D. I would call that reasonably one sided.

JamDav1982

Pep v mou in 2010-11 and 2011-12

barca 5-0 madrid
barca 0-1 madrid
barca 2-0 madrid
barca 1-1 madrid
barca 1-1 madrid
barca 2-2 madrid
barca 3-2 madrid
barca 3-1 madrid
barca 2-1 madrid
barca 2-2 madrid
barca 1-2 madrid

5W, 2L, 4D. I would call that fairly one sided.

You never said 'one sided'

You said Real under Mou looked clueless which wasnt the case and in some games they were the better side and in a few Real were battering Barca but didnt take chances.

Pep found it harder and harder v Mou as his time went on.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

also all 4 of pep's years at barca, the team wasn't on the same level. 09 and especially 11 were the peaks, 10 was brilliant but mired by that inter game, and 12 was the beginning of a slight decline.
Inter did it yeah, Chelsea did it twice, Arsenal did it... All to various degrees of success but it was a tactic that worked particular if you sat very deep as Inter did.

Home of Barca Fans