10 - Lionel Messi - v5

RMU ReBorn

Irrelevant, Barca won the battle but RM won the war. Winning back to back CL is just remarkable and even the greatest club side ever from 2008-2013 couldn't do it. Don't forget that those Barca sides were playing against ten man Chelsea and inter when they were going for the back to back CL. No excuses.
Just fuck off with your idiocy .

Joan

Irrelevant, Barca won the battle but RM won the war. Winning back to back CL is just remarkable and even the greatest club side ever from 2008-2013 couldn't do it. Don't forget that those Barca sides were playing against ten man Chelsea and inter when they were going for the back to back CL. No excuses.

And you are to judge what's relevant and what's not? :lol:

It's relevant to all of us (here). Beautiful memories. :)

Pedro

La Masia

That Inter side under Mourinho kept Messi quiet over 2 legs, he didn't even have a kick, Inter were strong defensively

ronniecro

Guys...
Still discussing the CL? Come on it's over.

You do realize that we're the only club to win trebles right?
You do realize that we're on our transition time right?
You do realize that trebles are normally won every ten years or so, except for the past two decades.... Right?
You do realize RM has never won before right ?

Next year, we'll have our midfield further strengthen, which would lighten Messi's job. Also, next year, don't think treble. Think CL. Every other ones is just bonus, as we already won too many of them, lately.

i'm ready to bet you that we won't make it into semifinals next year

T

TS88

Easy to go back to back in the CL when the referees and linesmen are on your side

Barca were called Uefalona for a reason. Did you forget the 2009 second leg semi final against Chelsea? The referee never officiated another game. Barca fans shouldn't talk about referees after that game.

Last edited:
T

TS88

That Inter side under Mourinho kept Messi quiet over 2 legs, he didn't even have a kick, Inter were strong defensively

In both semi's, both teams were down to 10 men. The so called greatest club side ever should have finished the job in those games but couldn't. Bosingwa was at CB smh. Messi misses his penalty against Chelsea, it wasnt even saved. Again, no excuses. If I had to choose a player to take the winning penalty kick in a World Cup final, it would be Ronaldo. He is made for the big moment and he has proven that time and time again. See the penalty against Juve, unstoppable in the top corner. Gerrard said it was the greatest penalty he has ever seen under pressure.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

In both semi's, both teams were down to 10 men. The so called greatest club side ever should have finished the job in those games but couldn't. Bosingwa in CB smh. Messi misses his penalty against Chelsea. Again, no excuses. If I had to choose a player to take the winning penalty kick in a World Cup final, it would be Ronaldo. He is made for the big moment and he has proven that time and time again. See the penalty against Juve, unstoppable in the top corner. Gerrard said it was the greatest penalty he has ever seen under pressure.

Again, Ronaldo has nothing to do with that match. Yes, we bottled it against Chelsea that year, but, tbh, they got us back for that defeat a few years ago.

Nobody is talking about La Decima CL where Real had ENORMOUS and again ENORMOUS amounts of luck to win against Atleti. Costa, who was having best season of his life gets injured. Tries to play through pain, but is subbed after 9 minutes. Simeone is left without his most dangerous man and with only 2 subs for ET. Ramos scores in 90+3 and Atleti is exhausted from defending like lions the whole match so Real steamrolls them.

2016 were pens and someone told Real that Oblak doesn't dive left. 2017 is the only year that Real really steamrolled the competition, but even then there were some iffy decisions.

Anyway, Ronaldo may be the best in-opponent's box player of all time, while Messi may be the best overall player of all time. I'm interested how Ronaldo will perform if Bayern contains Real's midfield and Marcelo...

Givenchy

In both semi's, both teams were down to 10 men. The so called greatest club side ever should have finished the job in those games but couldn't. Bosingwa was at CB smh. Messi misses his penalty against Chelsea, it wasnt even saved. Again, no excuses. If I had to choose a player to take the winning penalty kick in a World Cup final, it would be Ronaldo. He is made for the big moment and he has proven that time and time again. See the penalty against Juve, unstoppable in the top corner. Gerrard said it was the greatest penalty he has ever seen under pressure.

Buffon was sent off, Juve down to 10 men with extra time looming AT HOME. greatest penalty ever under pressure i think not.

ebc_99

Ronaldo missed a penalty in the Champions league final in 2008, it happens. Ronaldo is better than Messi at penalties but there are many better than Ronaldo

Messi performs in the big games more often than Ronaldo does and that is the main reason that Barca have finished above Real in 7 of Ronaldos 9 seasons in Spain, and Madrid have had a much better squad most of that time.

Last edited:
T

TS88

Again, Ronaldo has nothing to do with that match. Yes, we bottled it against Chelsea that year, but, tbh, they got us back for that defeat a few years ago.

Nobody is talking about La Decima CL where Real had ENORMOUS and again ENORMOUS amounts of luck to win against Atleti. Costa, who was having best season of his life gets injured. Tries to play through pain, but is subbed after 9 minutes. Simeone is left without his most dangerous man and with only 2 subs for ET. Ramos scores in 90+3 and Atleti is exhausted from defending like lions the whole match so Real steamrolls them.

2016 were pens and someone told Real that Oblak doesn't dive left. 2017 is the only year that Real really steamrolled the competition, but even then there were some iffy decisions.

Anyway, Ronaldo may be the best in-opponent's box player of all time, while Messi may be the best overall player of all time. I'm interested how Ronaldo will perform if Bayern contains Real's midfield and Marcelo...

La decima was RM's destiny, luck doesn't exist. They said in the dressing room that they cannot come back to the dressing room without the trophy and they didn't. Yes, Atletico defended like lions for sure, they were heroic with every last ditch block, header etc. However, RM wanted it that bit more than Atletico, this is what makes RM special in the CL. I admit that RM were fortunate in 2016 final. Griezman misses huge penalty and I don't know why Atletico didn't press for the winner in ET, RM looked very fatigued and Ronaldo was even 50% fit for that game. 2017 was an example of a fully fit Ronaldo :) the destroyer.

The game on Wednesday will be interesting, I think Bayern will surprise a few people and edge it.

Last edited:

soul24rage

Maybe Messi is not as good in penalties as Ronaldo (I think that can be arguable), but Messi is still good maybe 85% of the time under pressure
- 2011 Copa America penalty shootout against Uruguay
- 2014 World Cup Semis penalty shootout against Netherland
- 2015 Copa America penalty shootout against Colombia
- 2015 Copa America penalty shootout against Chile
- 93rd winner penalty against Valencia in 16/17
- Scored all 6 Penalties against Real Madrid!

The three penalties he missed under pressure that I can think of are the Chelsea 2012, Chile 2016, Sevilla (90th minute 0-0, 11/12)
The three penalties that Ronaldo missed under pressure that I can think of are Barcelona 2008, Chelsea 2008, Austria Euro 2016. (Edit: forgot about 2012 CL semi penalty shootout vs Bayern)

I would 100% still back my man Messi to score a penalty in a World Cup final penalty shootout.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans