10 - Lionel Messi - v5

T

TS88

Maybe Messi is not as good in penalties as Ronaldo (I think that can be arguable), but Messi is still good maybe 85% of the time under pressure
- 2011 Copa America penalty shootout against Uruguay
- 2014 World Cup Semis penalty shootout against Netherland
- 2015 Copa America penalty shootout against Colombia
- 2015 Copa America penalty shootout against Chile
- 93rd winner penalty against Valencia in 16/17
- Scored all 6 Penalties against Real Madrid!

The three penalties he missed under pressure that I can think of are the Chelsea 2012, Chile 2016, Sevilla (90th minute 0-0, 11/12)
The three penalties that Ronaldo missed under pressure that I can think of are Barcelona 2008, Chelsea 2008, Austria Euro 2016.

I would 100% still back my man Messi to score a penalty in a World Cup final penalty shootout.

The problem I have with Messi's misses against Chelsea and Chile is that they weren't even saved, he just totally missed. Chile was the bigger miss of course and I think he just cracked under pressure with that one. The way he skied it tells me that.

soul24rage

The problem I have with Messi's misses against Chelsea and Chile is that they weren't even saved, he just totally missed. Chile was the bigger miss of course and I think he just cracked under pressure with that one. The way he skied it tells me that.

For me it really doesn't matter how he missed, the result is that he still missed (unless you take a pathetic penalty like zaza 2016). Ramos is a confident player and he still skied high in the 2012 CL semi's against Bayern. Maybe during those time he wanted power instead of placement.

T

TS88

For me it really doesn't matter how he missed, the result is that he still missed (unless you take a pathetic penalty like zaza 2016). Ramos is a confident player and he still skied high in the 2012 CL semi's against Bayern. Maybe during those time he wanted power instead of placement.

Yes, Ronaldo also missed in that shootout but it took a really great save from Neuer to stop it.

soul24rage

Buffon was sent off, Juve down to 10 men with extra time looming AT HOME. greatest penalty ever under pressure i think not.

Plus all the momentum has shifted to Real after the penalty was called and the player was against a back up goalkeeper

Last edited:
T

TS88

Ronaldo missed a penalty in the Champions league final in 2008, it happens. Ronaldo is better than Messi at penalties but there are many better than Ronaldo

Messi performs in the big games more often than Ronaldo does and that is the main reason that Barca have finished above Real in 7 of Ronaldos 9 seasons in Spain, and Madrid have had a much better squad most of that time.

Name me one penalty taker now that is better than CR7.

Ronaldo has scored 103 Pens, missing 19.

Messi has scored 78 pens, missing 23.

https://en.as.com/en/2018/01/19/football/1516372146_468044.html

Last edited:
T

TS88

A clear foul by Bale on Juanfran allowing Ramos to equalize.

Fate my ass.

It was never a foul, it was very smart situational play. The ref cannot call anything unless stonewall in that moment of the game, he has to let the players play.

T

TS88

Ronaldo missed a penalty in the Champions league final in 2008, it happens. Ronaldo is better than Messi at penalties but there are many better than Ronaldo

Messi performs in the big games more often than Ronaldo does and that is the main reason that Barca have finished above Real in 7 of Ronaldos 9 seasons in Spain, and Madrid have had a much better squad most of that time.

CR7 is the greatest player of all time when its comes to the CL, there is no question about that. He has even scored the best CL goal ever with that bicycle kick against Juve, even the Juve fans were applauding it, thats how good it was. Now he will win the puskas award, what is there left to win for him? He actually won the Puskas award in 2009, my bad. Champions league is the highest level of club football, thats its why its the champion of leagues :). Its the most difficult to win and to win it back to back in this era is just insane. Some of the greatest players ever like Buffon have failed to win it.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

CR7 is the greatest player of all time when its comes to the CL, there is no question about that. He has even scored the best CL goal ever with that bicycle kick against Juve, even the Juve fans were applauding it, thats how good it was. Now he will win the puskas award, what is there left to win for him? He actually won the Puskas award in 2009, my bad. Champions league is the highest level of club football, thats its why its the champion of leagues :). Its the most difficult to win and to win it back to back in this era is just insane. Some of the greatest players ever like Buffon have failed to win it.

you had a reasonable argument and then you served up that shit :lol::lol:

Home of Barca Fans