10 - Lionel Messi - v5

michelco

As an outsider I will just ask this:

What's more important; Having Messi press and track back which would make the TEAM better or risk upsetting Messi by asking such a task of him? I sincerely think that LE just hasn't got the balls to ask this of Messi.

RMU ReBorn

Okay, with all due respect, did you think Messi had a good game against PSG?

I dont think he did, much like today he was marked with three players which left a huge space on both wings. Difference is, Neymar benefited from the space and punished PSG, unlike today.

He did had good game . Excellent in passing . Dispossessed Rabiot once tracking back , created one.important chance (Suarez Pen ) ..Without him we can't use this formation

Cool

He did had good game . Excellent in passing . Dispossessed Rabiot once tracking back , created one.important chance (Suarez Pen ) ..Without him we can't use this formation

I'm not talking about the PSG game, talking about this one:

1) Did not drop deep.

2) No off ball movement.

3) Pressed once or twice.

Love Messi to death but I hope he gets out of this mentality.

F

FlaFCB

Okay, with all due respect, did you think Messi had a good game against PSG?

I dont think he did, much like today he was marked with three players which left a huge space on both wings. Difference is, Neymar benefited from the space and punished PSG, unlike today.
He was better than today. Still miles from his best, but today's game was worse.

Meatball

I d like a 4-3-3 formation with Messi playing closer to goal the way he did during his 91 goals record breaking year (I feel Barca ve been wasting the finishing ability of probably the best finisher in history) but that's not an option cuz can't just bench Suarez, or with him playing as an authentic RW like his years under Rijkaard, both cases need a much better midfield than Barca currently have! I don't have a good feeling about this 3-4-3 formation, not very balance and quite risky!

F

FlaFCB

It was 3-4-3 vs PSG the same as the other games and 4-4-2 when defending.

C6d70-0XQAE0lDE.jpg

JamDav1982

That is snap shot of one moment in the game. Of course they wont be strictly 3-4-3 in every second. Could say it is a 3-2-4-1 from that as well.

All that is Neymar dropping deeper to get the ball.

Can see there the diamond and front three quite clearly there.

F

FlaFCB

That is snap shot of one moment in the game. Of course they wont be strictly 3-4-3 in every second. Could say it is a 3-2-4-1 from that as well.

All that is Neymar dropping deeper to get the ball.

Can see there the diamond and front three quite clearly there.

There's a video too.

F

FlaFCB

The video still shows basis of 3-4-3 to me and can pick and choose any time to stop it to show a 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 3-2-4-1 or even 4-4-2.

Could same with todays game.

I've seen more than one spanish pundit that I follow pointing that, about the psg game. Not the discussion, though, that game is past. It's about what to do with Messi from now on. He played too far from goal today.

Zinedinho

As an outsider I will just ask this:

What's more important; Having Messi press and track back which would make the TEAM better or risk upsetting Messi by asking such a task of him? I sincerely think that LE just hasn't got the balls to ask this of Messi.

It's too late. No one will get Messi to do what he hasn't done for several years now. That started under Guardiola, and became a habit that got consolidated during his days as false striker. That's in my opinion one of the reasons why Luis Enrique preferred Rakitic over Kroos. Kroos is better on the ball, but Rakitic' work rate brought a balance that was needed when Luis Enrique decided that a world class striker was needed and Messi would play as RW.

The 2008-09 "we are one" ended that season. From then on, Messi became THE superstar and the rules began to change. It worked to a great extent, but it always was a two-edged sword. It's take it or leave it.

Cool

It's too late. No one will get Messi to do what he hasn't done for several years now. That started under Guardiola, and became a habit that got consolidated during his days as false striker. That's in my opinion one of the reasons why Luis Enrique preferred Rakitic over Kroos. Kroos is better on the ball, but Rakitic' work rate brought a balance that was needed when Luis Enrique decided that a world class striker was needed and Messi would play as RW.

The 2008-09 "we are one" ended that season. From then on, Messi became THE superstar and the rules began to change. It worked to a great extent, but it always was a two-edged sword. It's take it or leave it.

This, couldn't of have said it better.

A double edged sword.

F

FlaFCB

Well, Messi with a bigger workrate would also mean he'd be tired way more, and also injured more. He's a special player, and any coach should try to make his career as long as possible.

Home of Barca Fans