Jasper Cillessen

Asylum15

This guy's passing impressed me ALOT.

He is genuinely calm on the ball (Ajax education), unlike Ter Stegen who fills me with anxiety constantly.

Great variety in passes too, I remember a first time ball to Rakitic in the first half that was brilliant.

Messi983

This guy's passing impressed me ALOT.

He is genuinely calm on the ball (Ajax education), unlike Ter Stegen who fills me with anxiety constantly.

Great variety in passes too, I remember a first time ball to Rakitic in the first half that was brilliant.

MATS is calm on the ball too. His problem is overconfidence in his own passing abilities.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If you look at the Canal + videos, El Dia Despues, you can see Lucho actively encouraging ter Stegen to play it out the way he is doing. Praising him for it on the sidelines.

So his overconfidence is also a product of the coaching staff telling him to keep doing it, just the same way.

If they told him to play it safer at times and sometimes just boot it out, I'm pretty sure he would do it.

Messi983

Agree.

I just meant MATS overconfidence that can lead to bad passes, put us in dangerous situations and make people nervous. Personally, I feel very confident with MATS passing but I wish our GKs (either MATS or Jasper) wouldn't be the one who have the most (successful) passes on our team almost every game (if not the most they are almost guaranteed among top 3 players with most passes). I understand playing from the back is part of our tactics and we always did that but I don't like it when we start to pass the ball back to GKs because we don't know what else to do when we are under pressure.

Vilarrubi

If you look at the Canal + videos, El Dia Despues, you can see Lucho actively encouraging ter Stegen to play it out the way he is doing. Praising him for it on the sidelines.

So his overconfidence is also a product of the coaching staff telling him to keep doing it, just the same way.

If they told him to play it safer at times and sometimes just boot it out, I'm pretty sure he would do it.

I agree that he will have been told to keep doing it.. OR he's definitely not being told to not pass it out, which is crazy to me because the pressure we've been under by doing that has been ridiculous sometimes.

But are you saying you think Lucho has told Cillessen to play differently and kick it out more?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I agree that he will have been told to keep doing it.. OR he's definitely not being told to not pass it out, which is crazy to me because the pressure we've been under by doing that has been ridiculous sometimes.

But are you saying you think Lucho has told Cillessen to play differently and kick it out more?

I think Cillessen has tried to play it out more in the last game. I think he boots it out more because he's not as confident under pressure as ter Stegen.

I remember ter Stegen booting it out after the Celta game so his confidence might have been down then, but he got back to his ways pretty quickly. I don't know if he's being told to do the same or not told anything at all so it's all instinctive.

Either way, even our defenders seem more inclined to pass it back to ter Stegen instead of playing it out long themselves so I imagine there must be something behind it.

Agree.

I just meant MATS overconfidence that can lead to bad passes, put us in dangerous situations and make people nervous. Personally, I feel very confident with MATS passing but I wish our GKs (either MATS or Jasper) wouldn't be the one who have the most (successful) passes on our team almost every game (if not the most they are almost guaranteed among top 3 players with most passes). I understand playing from the back is part of our tactics and we always did that but I don't like it when we start to pass the ball back to GKs because we don't know what else to do when we are under pressure.

Yeah, I don't quite like what we've been doing this season, playing it to the GK more often than before.

Messi983

I think MATS has also played a bit more conservative after his mistake in Vigo.

But based on the fact that we played last two games that Jasper started (Sociedad, ATM) without Busquets and Iniesta I also think that Lucho was aware we won't win midfield battle (let alone have any kind of midfield control because we failed to do that against any serious opponent this season) so he was ok with Jasper playing more long balls when under pressure (especially with us having a good result from first leg in Sociedad game and also leading 2-0 on Wednesday when ATM started to play better and pressure us higher in second half) because it was more than likely we'd lose the ball in midfield anyway. Will be interesting to see if his tactics will change when Busi and Iniesta will be available but we'll probably have to wait to see that in CDR final (if we'll qualify). And that's also probably only if we'll play against Celta because Alaves would more likely decide to sit back and play on counter attacks than pressure us like Sociedad or Athletic.

Last edited:

mark1nhu

Agree.

Absolutely.

About Jasper, he can't complete long passes like Ter Stegen, but I am pretty satisfied by what I have been seeing.

El Flaco

So far, he made some crucual saves during the first 30 minutes when Atleti dominated against us during 1st half.

Home of Barca Fans