Lucas Digne

Jombi

Why are people overreacting? A new Douglas? Jesus fucking Christ, are you even listening to yourself?

We desperately needed a LB backup who wasn't Adriano or Mathieu, you won't find a better LB who is willing to sit on the bench to begin with, and he's young and still promising, not to forget the fact that two seasons ago he was one of the, if not the biggest LB talent in Europe, having showed great potential at Lille. Yes, he couldn't knock off Maxwell, but he's more or less still in the form of his life. He went to Roma where he has been really solid, in a league where demands for defenders are huge.

16M (potentially 20 in some years which could turn out to be worth it anyways) is decent, and he will probably get good chances to show himself, due to Alba's injury history and the usual chances in cups/vs bad opponents.

We actually got a good deal we needed, it happened extremely effectively, and there's still money left for Vietto who I don't think will cost more than 20M + Vermaelen and pocket change Douglas, Tello, Song, Adriano.

That would conclude a phenomenal window, in my opinion. Well done by the technical secretary, Robert and Lucho. And no, not the board. It's not their job to pick and buy players, ffs.

Lucho has been signing short term since he came. This window, only long-term, with players who can all play against solid opposition if tested in the spot. You complain when we sign and are rumored with old wood and also complain when we buy promise? Decide..

The RB market it horrible, so why waste the money now when Bellerin is a realistic target next season? Roberto showed he can do the job next season and Vidal needs to show more, but it's easy to forget he's still trying to adapt a new style, let alone a whole new position.

A world class midfielder? Seriously? First of all there's not even a need. Iniesta and Rakitic are class first picks, and Arda, Roberto, Rafinha, Denis are more than capable to cover for them. Secondly, a world class midfielder would block any development for our own youngsters on the team, all of whom have already showed they can perform on this level against any opposition. Arda already blocked some younger minutes last season, and look how he played! He's staying, so how on earth would you fit a world class midfielder on the bench, and where in heaven's name would you get the money? Let's say Digne wasn't signed and we settled with Mathieu as the LB backup. There'd be 36M left in the bank. Which world class midfielder can you sign for that? And on top of that, someone who is willing to sit behind Rakitic whom we all know is loved by Lucho and will stay as a fixed starter. Sometimes, people just talk and talk without putting their considerations in realistic boxes with sensible arguments.

If we get Vietto, this window has been fantastic. Only Marquinhos would've made it perfect imo, but we all know it's impossible, plus Mascherano is staying for now and Umtiti is great.

Next season, when the money is there, Bellerin should be more than happy to return, and then our RB is settled for many, many years to come. And that's only if Vidal + Roberto underperform.

Let's say Iniesta or Rakitic will need a replacement after next season and it's clear that Arda should leave and Rafinha, Roberto or Denis aren't ready to take over, then there's a genuine concern on that position, and a galactico signing like Pogba would be in the cards. Otherwise we'll just continue like this, either way sell Arda imo because Halilovic is coming back and let Denis, Rafinha and Roberto continue to develop in the same roles, not even to forget that Samper would be back too after a hopefully successful loan and that Kaptoum and Aleña have had good years at Barça B, which would mean some first team chances at least.

Just what I think...

TL;DR: Digne isn't a "scam", solid signings who can help now and in the future, no need for more after a backup striker. If needed, a top CM and Bellerin for next summer.

Forget about Bellerin (or any other starter for a rich club!!!). He aint coming with Arsenal having money coming out of their ears and surely not if Roberto establishes himself. If we go for Bellerin next summer it means our RB this upcoming season has been a failure and thats really, really bad. I dont think Bellerin is any better than Roberto anyway. Its a shame we didnt buy a LB that could also double as RB, like Bruno Peres or Ricardo Pereira but Digne is a decent alternative.

Last edited:

akaranzo

So, we bought a brand new Douglas, to replace the lord himself...

Are you serious right now? A player that has Ligue 1, Serie A and Champions League experience, who was bought as a back up option for Jordi Alba so we don't have to use Mathieu at LB anymore is a brand new Douglas? I can't even express how freaking stupid this comment is.

navidjaan

Yes, Grimaldo should've been promoted and we would've had a competitor for Alba and saved 16,5M. But he left, so instead of keep crying, move on. Grimaldo isn't dead. With the right coach for him at Barça (Oscar Garcia), he could return once he has developed into a great player.

And what does this have to do with Bartra, though? Should've gotten more minutes, but would never make it further because of Pique, so it would've happened sooner or later. His clause was activated. Be happy for him. We got a good replacement who we badly needed. Move on, come on.

navidjaan

Forget about Bellerin (or any other starter for a rich club!!!). He aint coming with Arsenal having money coming out of their ears and surely not if Roberto establishes himself. If we go for Bellerin next summer it means our RB this upcoming season has been a failure and thats really, really bad. I dont think Bellerin is any better than Roberto anyway. Its a shame we didnt buy a LB that could also double as RB, like Bruno Peres or Ricardo Pereira but Digne is a decent alternative.

You looked beyond my point. IF Roberto + Vidal won't workout = Bellerin a main target. And so what if Arsenal have money? He he wants to come back and Barça want him, Barça will pay what they demand. Will cost more than Alves did, but not more than 40-45M max. He's a RB. Never gonna exceed that.

Bruno Peres is only a RB, only played a bit LB, and who at RB isn't even good enough for Barça. Why would he be good enough for LB? And Pereira? The Uruguayan LB with cornrows? What? Isn't he old and not even in any position to be considered at Barça? And he's only a LB.

We needed a LB backup. Not a LB backup who is also average in other position where he'd never play. Adriano is one of a kind. You won't find someone two-footed who can play both FB's. You can only find a couple of Italians who can play both FB's and they're a mismatch for Barça either way.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Welcome. I don't know much about this guy except few unimpressive performances that i've seen of him and the rest which has been spent sitting on the bench, but at least I am happy that the board is making quick signings about the posts which have needed reinforcements.

Jombi

You looked beyond my point. IF Roberto + Vidal won't workout = Bellerin a main target. And so what if Arsenal have money? He he wants to come back and Barça want him, Barça will pay what they demand. Will cost more than Alves did, but not more than 40-45M max. He's a RB. Never gonna exceed that.

Bruno Peres is only a RB, only played a bit LB, and who at RB isn't even good enough for Barça. Why would he be good enough for LB? And Pereira? The Uruguayan LB with cornrows? What? Isn't he old and not even in any position to be considered at Barça? And he's only a LB.

We needed a LB backup. Not a LB backup who is also average in other position where he'd never play. Adriano is one of a kind. You won't find someone two-footed who can play both FB's. You can only find a couple of Italians who can play both FB's and they're a mismatch for Barça either way.

Adriano is one of a kind? Thats ridiculous. Bruno Peres can play both sides, has played plenty of good games as LB, been one of the best full backs in Serie A for a couple of seasons now, linked to a whole host of big clubs like Bayern and City as well. Ricardo Pereira, the Portuguese, is owned by Porto and has been a revelation for Nice in Ligue 1 this season, arguably been the best LB in France. Can also play both RB and LB. Sidibe was another option, Arsenal was heavily linked to him, can play LB and RB, but in the end signed for Monaco. A versatile full-back was surely the best option. Its completely ridiculous to claim that a versatile full-back would never play both sides.

Overall, I am happy with Digne, though, but a player who could get more playing time as RB and also give us another option in case Roberto and Vidal fail would be the best scenario.

Last edited:

yeswecan

So we have a thread to his name opened just yesterday?
of course there are no similarities between him and Adriano and Douglas :neymar:

Last edited:

navidjaan

I meant Adriano was one of our kind as in could play on both sides and two-footed. Our LB must be naturally left-footed or as close as possible, as if it was natural to him, otherwise it will ruin a lot of attacks. Roberto at LB ruined Neymar because he literally had no real options in attack other than in the middle. At least that's what I think. There are plenty of decent RB's who can play LB while their their right foot, though. I do that myself when I play at LB once in a while. Just wouldn't benefit us, I think.

Also, just because someone is linked with a move to a big club that never happened, that doesn't mean he'd succeed in any top club in the world :)

Jombi

I meant Adriano was one of our kind as in could play on both sides and two-footed. Our LB must be naturally left-footed or as close as possible, as if it was natural to him, otherwise it will ruin a lot of attacks. Roberto at LB ruined Neymar because he literally had no real options in attack other than in the middle. At least that's what I think. There are plenty of decent RB's who can play LB while their their right foot, though. I do that myself when I play at LB once in a while. Just wouldn't benefit us, I think.

Also, just because someone is linked with a move to a big club that never happened, that doesn't mean he'd succeed in any top club in the world :)

Both Ricardo Pereira and Sidibe are very good with both feet. They've been arguably the two best full backs in France together with Aurier. You're just dismissing players you know nothing about.

SeloBarca

A world class midfielder? Seriously? First of all there's not even a need. Iniesta and Rakitic are class first picks, and Arda, Roberto, Rafinha, Denis are more than capable to cover for them. Secondly, a world class midfielder would block any development for our own youngsters on the team, all of whom have already showed they can perform on this level against any opposition.[/B]

Really? They havent proven shit and have been very mediocre or bad against top teams.
None are close to Iniesta or Rakitic and never will be.
A constelation with Rafinha/Denis Suarez/Roberto would be embarrassing and way way way bellow other top teams midfields.

Last edited:

Jombi

Really? They havent proven shit and have been very mediocre or bad against top teams.
None are close to Iniesta or Rakitic and never will be.
A constelation with Rafinha/Denis Suarez/Roberto would be embarrassing and way way way bellow other top teams midfields.

I would agree with this to a large extent. Iniesta in particular is seriously worrying. The guy is 32 and Arda and Rafinha are HUGE question marks. Both have serious pace problems and their minds are not quick either. Roberto is supposed to be our RB plus our DM backup and wont play CM anyway. Denis hasnt shown anything as a player in the middle.

It all comes down to the clusterf*** of splashing the dough on Arda. 40m and a huge 5-year contract means our hands are closely tied.

SeloBarca

I would agree with this to a large extent. Iniesta in particular is seriously worrying. The guy is 32 and Arda and Rafinha are HUGE question marks. Both have serious pace problems and their minds are not quick either. Roberto is supposed to be our RB plus our DM backup and wont play CM anyway. Denis hasnt shown anything as a player in the middle.

It all comes down to the clusterf*** of splashing the dough on Arda. 40m and a huge 5-year contract means our hands are closely tied.

The day iniesta stops playing, i dont even want to think about it.
Suarez has been at his best as a winger in Villareal, not as a midfielder as you say.
Roberto has been better as a RB, not a midfilder and that will be his main position from now on.
But hes nowhere near Alves levels as RB and should only be considered a temporary solution.

Rakitic will be okish, but he needs a top quality player next to him once Iniesta stops, not Rafinha or Suarez.
Rakitic should move into a more AM role, and we should get a proper passing CM instead.
Raktic is kinda questionable aswell, he can either be really good, or horribly bad. Very inconsistant.

Home of Barca Fans