Davinson Sanchez

Zincubus

Banned
Don't know really what to make of his game.
Looked solid and at few times too reckless at the back. Hope he stays another year at Ajax as I don't think he's that better than Marlon and we could at least see if the Brazilian makes a step forward.

What about that 17 year old kid who played alongside him tonight ??

serghei

Imo, he's a much better talent than Marlon. Marlon can be a good defender. Sanchez can be one of the best. Him and Umtiti 2 years down the line would be a candidate for the best CB pair in the world.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Imo, he's a much better talent than Marlon. Marlon can be a good defender. Sanchez can be one of the best. Him and Umtiti 2 years down the line would be a candidate for the best CB pair in the world.

I think it's hard to gauge Marlon's ceiling. He could only end up being decent, but so far he's been pretty faultless for the first team. Sanchez more openly oozes potential, but as it was seen today he has an erroneous side to offset his more impressive/standout moments. I'm a pretty big fan of both from what I've seen and I'd love to have them both at the club.

Marlon does have something about him though. The Thiago Silva comparisons seem pretty fitting, and he might be a far more capable talent than his relatively un-hyped reputation gives him credit for. It certainly looks like his understanding with Umtiti is there, and I expect he'll be more convincing as he gains confidence. He should 100% be the 4th CB after Masche, wouldn't even mind seeing him get more chances than that as I feel he's earned some trust. I really hope he ends up being the real deal because Davinson might well end up moving to Chelsea since, according to Romero, the PL is his priority destination after Ajax.

I think it's a little early to buy another young CB. Pique's only 30, whoever comes in will spend at least 3 more seasons on the bench. Which they may not have the patience for, especially if they aren't under 20. Plus we already have Marlon.

Next summer would be a better time to buy Pique's future replacement IMO. Assuming Marlon can't fill that role and/or doesn't have the patience to sit on the bench for a couple more seasons.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I think it's a little early to buy another young CB. Pique's only 30, whoever comes in will spend at least 3 more seasons on the bench. Which they may not have the patience for, especially if they aren't under 20. Plus we already have Marlon.

Next summer would be a better time to buy Pique's future replacement IMO.

It depends on who is staying and who is leaving,next year is world cup year and Mascherano could very well ask to leave,after 7 years serving the club good and at the age of 33 it will be tough to tell him no. Mathieu is either gone or won't be accountable. then it is about what coach think of Marlon
If Mascherano stays that I think we could wait one more year to buy a CB but if he leaves we don't have much choice tbh

Messi983

I think it's hard to gauge Marlon's ceiling. He could only end up being decent, but so far he's been pretty faultless for the first team. Sanchez more openly oozes potential, but as it was seen today he has an erroneous side to offset his more impressive/standout moments. I'm a pretty big fan of both from what I've seen and I'd love to have them both at the club.

Marlon has also shown some weaknesses playing for Barça B and there will be games where he'll be more exposed in our first team as well (just hope that people won't start to give up on him if/when he'll have some bad games). I'm not saying I don't believe in his potential just that the more you watch a player more of his weaknesses you can see but both Marlon and Davinson are still extremely young for a CB position and could and probably will improve a lot.

Next summer would be a better time to buy Pique's future replacement IMO.

I can undestand that concern but we need Mathieu (now) and Masche (probably next year) replacements before we think about longterm Pique successor. Pique and Umtiti are set as our starting CBs for next 2-3 seasons and we won't be able to get every young CB we'll want because of that but we should still get one alongside Marlon to have a good (and young outside of Pique) depth at CB position. If we can get Davinson it would be great but I wouldn't go into a bidding war with Chelsea or other clubs.

kilian

I watched the game only because of Sanchez and I have to say that De Ligt was the one who caught my eye. The guy is only 17 and he played a fucking masterclass in a final. Sanchez is a fast, powerful monster of a guy, but he is too aggressive and raw, with bad anticipation. I don`t want to judge him based only on this one game, but I think we should consider buying that 17 year old kid instead of him.

Raketa10

I would be ok with Pique-Umtiti-Masche-Marlon for next season. I am 100% sure that Marlon can't be worse than Mathieu was this year.
I would go for Sanchez this summer only if Masche leaves otherwise our priorities should be RB and CM positions.

Last edited:

Windhook

In terms of potential De Ligt is superior compared to Davinson, but the Colombian is one of the best tacklers of the ball I've seen in recent seasons.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I would be ok with Pique-Umtiti-Masche-Marlon for next season. I am 100% sure that Marlon can't be worse than Mathieu was this year.
I would go for Sanchez this summer only if Masche leaves otherwise our priorities should be RB and CM positions.

God please no. If one of Umtiti/Pique is unavailable for a big match we are stuck with an experienced and a grand pa!

Guaporta

I watched the game only because of Sanchez and I have to say that De Ligt was the one who caught my eye. The guy is only 17 and he played a fucking masterclass in a final. Sanchez is a fast, powerful monster of a guy, but he is too aggressive and raw, with bad anticipation. I don`t want to judge him based only on this one game, but I think we should consider buying that 17 year old kid instead of him.

Well, I've been watching them pretty much every game this season. So I might be able to shed some light on this matter. Both Matthijs de Ligt and Davinson Sánchez are physically impressive and are capable of playing in a very high line of defense. De Ligt is more of a ball-playing centre back, Davinson is more of a pacey defender who could bully pacey strikers off the ball (more or less a Puyol/Mascherano-type of role, but of course not as good for now). If we could, I'd sign both. But that's probably not possible and I don't see De Ligt leaving Ajax this summer. He's a very mature and smart guy for his age, so I think he's choosing the gradual way to the top. Davinson Sánchez could be on the market, but he could learn a lot at Ajax on how the build-up the play.

Messi983

Read the same quotes. It looks that he want to come this time..

I'm always sceptical about players quotes without knowing what exactly question was and how he answered (body language often says more than pure words) so for me this is just diplomatic answer. In other words, replace Barça with RM, Chelsea, United,... and he'd say the same if asked those type of questions. Just keeping his options opened for possible future transfer, most players that are not already in top clubs are doing that.

Home of Barca Fans