European Supercup: Barca - Sevilla 5-4

BigBarcaBoy

Crazy game, the players took it easy at 4-1 and without iniesta lost full control, agreed that pedro or sandr should have come on earlier

ATLBarcaFan

For the love of God why can't we sign a proper cb to partner Pique?
I would take an old fashioned bruiser like Gary Cahill over our cbs. Playing the ball out of defence is of no use if you can't defend in the first place!
Batra And MATHIEU were shit.
Come on Lucho fix this.

Bartra looks like he has two left feet at times, looks completely uncoordinated. Mathieu should be a bench player at most, he is not Barca quality.

Wavy

Awesome game last night. Your defense sucked major donkey balls but otherwise the game was great; and whoever says Messi is not the greatest of all times can suck my cock. Those free kicks were pure beauty.

F

Flavia

[tw]631295297478496257[/tw]

Good article. I surely wasn't taking tiredness in consideration... I always forget this stuff. Touring the US wasn't the best idea, and why Enrique was against it. Barto wanted them munnies, though.

Stric

I missed the game, but saw the result and how it changed throughout the game. Can someone explain to me how we went from 4:1 to 4:4, a quick recap? :lol:

Egert

Estonian Culé
I missed the game, but saw the result and how it changed throughout the game. Can someone explain to me how we went from 4:1 to 4:4, a quick recap? :lol:

Our defence sucked and Sevilla showed a lot of desire. Mathieu fked up twice and Bartra mistake cost us the 4-4 goal...

dakt

1st half, total domination.
2nd half, total vacation.

For people who aren't Barca supporters it was a joy to watch, while I was raging like a bull and almost got kicked out of my own house.

Darko

The players got complacent and it was really a surprise after how professional they were last season.
2nd goal we lose the ball in attack, the counter is on for Sevilla and a simple cross to the far post does the job since Mathieu went so central that he was almost stepping on Masche's toes.
From then on Sevilla saw a glimmer of hope and scored another when Mathieu conceded a penalty after another cross to the far post.
We started panicking, Sevilla smelled blood. We couldn't keep possession or defend with the compactness we saw throughout the season, Lucho failed with his subs and it was Bartra who made an instant impact as he came off the bench to completely miss a ball from a throw in, allowing Immobile time and space to send a low cross to the far post for a Konoplyanka tap-in. Mathieu was surprisingly not at fault for this one.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Finally had time to sit down and write about some thoughts about yesterday's roller-coaster experience.

The first half was great, of course. The second half started with a bang (Suarez's goal), but soon after that, we made the same mistake we did in the second leg of the CL semi-final against Bayern last season, perhaps we collectively decided to shift several gears down and stopped caring or something, we were so laxed, the intense pressing was totally gone. I am not one of those people who constantly tout about the importance of "winner's mentality" and this and that, but this was not the first time when we got our asses kicked big time because of our lack of effort and determination. I have to say, this Barca team, as much as I love it, is really disappointing at times when we don't demonstrate the kind of mentality/determination we need to carry us through in critical times that are true tests to a team's characters and greatness, I felt. Several times we allowed our opponents to score on us while we almost threw in the towels, and when we were behind or the score was even and there was still ample time left, we weren't attacking like crazy like Real Madrid and many other teams would have done, why? We totally lacked intensity when Sevilla brought the score closer and closer, as if we didn't care anymore. WTH? Why did we give up pressing altogether?

We were overrun by the opponents as soon as Iniesta was subbed off. There was no control in the midfield whatsoever. We couldn't keep the ball possession, we let Sevilla keep attacking us. I know some folks hate to admit it, but our midfield is really lacking, at least lacking depth when a key player is subbed off. When Xavi was here, we had that sense of stability and control that we don't have today against better teams, or when things go against us. Having a midfield that keeps the pace of the game, ball control and possession is the first line of defense.

As to our defense, I want to believe that last night was a fluke, an anomaly because we had been much better than that before. Nevertheless, it is still pre-season, this is the right time to expose all the problems and issues and I hope Luis Enrique and his coaching staff will address them. And I certainly hope Luis Enrique has learned his lesson that the best defense is offense.

Finally, need to point out that our depth is so thin, the gap between our starters and our bench is so big that if we are unlucky enough to see several starters getting injured, our season might be in deep crisis.

raki

Good article. I surely wasn't taking tiredness in consideration... I always forget this stuff. Touring the US wasn't the best idea, and why Enrique was against it. Barto wanted them munnies, though.

Excellent article.

Barcadub

I think people automatically think that because they returned a week or two ago from America that they are fine.

Hopefully they grind it out on Friday and come away with a good result. Who said these 3 titles would be easy aye. River Plate will be waiting in December aswel.

Thread for Friday's game? :barcascarf:

Home of Barca Fans